Mega CD

kittygotwet

I've gone on abit of a Retro gaming spree lately and I've just bought a Mega CD 2 with Snatcher,night trap,final fight and double switch and I cant believe how poor it looks especially Final Fight .Its hooked up to a modernish tv via scart lead,can anyone give me advice on a cable to make it look decent,CRT tv is not an option my missus would go mental 

You could look into scalers/line doublers, but it means more purchases; the unit, leads etc

Unfortunately  a crt is the best looking way to view and play retro games. Can’t you come to some sort of compromise with the missis and even look at a small 14” Trinitron crt or something? I mean they aren’t that big!

11 minutes ago, dvdx2 said:

You could look into scalers/line doublers, but it means more purchases; the unit, leads etc

Unfortunately  a crt is the best looking way to view and play retro games. Can’t you come to some sort of compromise with the missis and even look at a small 14” Trinitron crt or something? I mean they aren’t that big!

There's going to have to be I think,the annoying thing is I'm a banksman at a waste recycling centre and we get CRTs all the time 

Make sure you're using a proper good quality scart lead - the cheap £5 ones are advertised as proper rgb but they are just crap composite with washed out colours, background buzzing sounds and overly bright.

I can highly recommend this one and it looks real good on my LCD TV

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154485800631?hash=item23f8123eb7:g:T2UAAOSwa51ZbJRn

46 minutes ago, kittygotwet said:

There's going to have to be I think,the annoying thing is I'm a banksman at a waste recycling centre and we get CRTs all the time 

Keep an eye out for any crts coming in that are ‘cube’ shaped. They could be pvms/bvms etc and will make your retro games look stunning. Something like a Sony pvm 14L2 or a JVC TM-H150 would suit your needs, down to the ground.

I briefly owned a Mk1 MCD. The pairing of it with the MK1 MD is the best-looking set-up of all time imo. It's just so 80's/early 90's and shows that you meant business (when they were new machines at original RRP).

Also had the 32X but that made the setup too awkward. Three massive PSUs (that don't fit next to each other on an extension!) and the extra leads to connect the 32X to the MD (also different leads depending on if you have a Mk1 or 2 MD...). Plus there just aren't enough decent 32X games to warrant it (and everything decent costs a bomb). The handful of MCD32X titles that require both add-ons simply aren't good enough to go to all the effort of constructing the whole thing. But there's still something fascinating about this era with the emergence of new technology and power-boosting add-ons to keep old consoles chugging away on life support. It's something that wouldn't happen today on such a scale. These days it's just a new hardware revision that looks the same.

1 hour ago, Down by Law said:

Make sure you're using a proper good quality scart lead - the cheap £5 ones are advertised as proper rgb but they are just crap composite with washed out colours, background buzzing sounds and overly bright.

I can highly recommend this one and it looks real good on my LCD TV

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154485800631?hash=item23f8123eb7:g:T2UAAOSwa51ZbJRn

Cheers mate,I am having issues with buzzing when theres nothing on the screen,been driving me mental 

26 minutes ago, megamixer said:

I briefly owned a Mk1 MCD. The pairing of it with the MK1 MD is the best-looking set-up of all time imo. It's just so 80's/early 90's and shows that you meant business (when they were new machines at original RRP).

Also had the 32X but that made the setup too awkward. Three massive PSUs (that don't fit next to each other on an extension!) and the extra leads to connect the 32X to the MD (also different leads depending on if you have a Mk1 or 2 MD...). Plus there just aren't enough decent 32X games to warrant it (and everything decent costs a bomb). The handful of MCD32X titles that require both add-ons simply aren't good enough to go to all the effort of constructing the whole thing. But there's still something fascinating about this era with the emergence of new technology and power-boosting add-ons to keep old consoles chugging away on life support. It's something that wouldn't happen today on such a scale. These days it's just a new hardware revision that looks the same.

Ideally I wanted the MK1 always loved the way it looked but it was out of my price range so had to settle for the 2 as I get it for a steal on ebay