F1 22

Valver

27 minutes ago, Bacon Horsemeat said:

50% races on a DualSense, wow.

It’s fine but there is a mid-session save too if you need a break. The Adaptive Triggers in this are not the workout that they are in something like Dirt 5.

Is anyone up for a bit of Time Trialing in the run up to the Austrian GP?

Whatever car you want, what ever assists etc., just post what you used, standard Dry TT settings. I’m using the Ferrari with Realistic rather than Equal performance as I’m basically using it as a practice for Career mode, it’s just a bit of fun and people can have a go against whatever comparison time they fancy.

TT Austria, Dry

ScoobySi, Ferrari, Realistic, No Assists, Custom Setup 1.06.701 (PS5, Controller)

Is this game fucked?

Have the 10 hour trial and it's crashed before I even start a race and the "connecting to online services" screen keeps popping up and failing half the time. 

2021 was totally broken for multiplayer on Xbox. And they never bothered to fix it. Joining lobbies would fail 49 times out of 50 for me. 

52 minutes ago, Ry said:

Is this game fucked?

Have the 10 hour trial and it's crashed before I even start a race and the "connecting to online services" screen keeps popping up and failing half the time. 

2021 was totally broken for multiplayer on Xbox. And they never bothered to fix it. Joining lobbies would fail 49 times out of 50 for me. 

Errors started yesterday on PS5 after their latest maintenance but I haven’t seen any on PS5 since yesterday evening and I’ve not had any crashes. The connecting dialog does pop up a fair bit in the menus but that’s all.

It’s been pretty stable for me all week but I don’t bother much with the MP.

Maybe try a Time Trial ^^^^ 😀.

Had a quick go on the PC demo last night.

It seems to be running amazingly well om my PC, graphics nearly maxed out and it looks gorgeous (even without RTX) at a solid 1440p60.

Spent way too much time tinkering with the controls and FFB options, but I think I've got it sorted now. There's pretty good surface feedback (bumps, kerbs, etc) and maxing out the wheel damper effect gives a much better feeling of the tyres scrubbing the surface (it feels heavier to turn the car at low speeds, easier at high speeds). So whilst the overall feel of driving is pretty good, I'm missing the feeling when you're approaching the edge of grip and the flex of the tyres - it just doesn't seem to be there. I know I'm spoiled by the other sims I'm playing, but I kind of expected the physics engine to have evolved quite a bit by now. Regardless, it feels satisfying and convincing to drive and Codies always make their games very immersive to play.

I just wish they would include an option to turn off the in-game steering wheel and the driver's arms! It's 2022, every racing game has the option!

Not sure if I will buy it at full price though. Maybe a rllmuk forum online F1 league will change my mind... 😅

Yeah the 10 hour trial saved me a purchase. 

Because the driving model has changed It's just not as much fun to actually play compared to 19/20. And graphically, I can't see a difference between this and the last 3 games. 

This is amazing in VR.   HUD turned off, just the wheel for info and engineer on radio (who I've just discovered I can actually talk to).  Amazing!

Immersion is off the scale! 

I'm enjoying this, but again, it's my first f1 game I've sunk more than a couple of hours into since 2012 (which ever it was that had the bright blue cover).

Did a full race distance, on controller, of Australia in career mode yesterday, I'm still tweaking the ai difficulty but it was alot of fun sitting on Russell's gearbox in a Haas (though I accidentally kicked Mick out the team). 

On 09/07/2022 at 22:24, davejm said:

This is amazing in VR.   HUD turned off, just the wheel for info and engineer on radio (who I've just discovered I can actually talk to).  Amazing!

Do you know if issues like separate pedals not working have been addressed Dave?  Defo up for giving it a go as long as it's playable with my setup!

How are you finding the driving model? I couldn't get on with it with my G29 setup. :( 

45 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

Do you know if issues like separate pedals not working have been addressed Dave?  Defo up for giving it a go as long as it's playable with my setup!

No issues my end with my separate Fanatec rim and HE Sprint pedals, but I didn't have any issue on release so not sure if it's been fixed for others.

13 minutes ago, Thor said:

How are you finding the driving model? I couldn't get on with it with my G29 setup. :( 

It feels basic.  The road feels smooth as butter and there's not as much detail in the feedback (vs trying a formula car in Assetto Corsa).  That said, I haven't played too much of the game before so not sure if it's improved over previous years.

To be honest, although it's immersive in VR I'm not sure I'm cut out for racing fast cars like this.  I've tried a few races and I can't race 'bumper to 'bumper' or 'wheel to wheel' in cars that are so quick and twitchy.  All my races end up me hitting someone or getting murdered by the AI.  It's all too fast paced for me.

8 minutes ago, davejm said:

To be honest, although it's immersive in VR I'm not sure I'm cut out for racing fast cars like this.  I've tried a few races and I can't race 'bumper to 'bumper' or 'wheel to wheel' in cars that are so quick and twitchy.  All my races end up me hitting someone or getting murdered by the AI.  It's all too fast paced for me.

Also, you'll get back in the GT3s and it'll feel like slow motion!

2 hours ago, Thor said:

On my CSL (Elite) it's okay. Maxing out the damper effect made it much better but like Dave said, it's basic in its simulation. You can feel the suspension, but not the tyres. By now I would have expected they'd stepped it up a bit from when I last played it (2014).

2 hours ago, davejm said:

I'm not sure I'm cut out for racing fast cars like this.  I've tried a few races and I can't race 'bumper to 'bumper' or 'wheel to wheel' in cars that are so quick and twitchy.  All my races end up me hitting someone or getting murdered by the AI.  It's all too fast paced for me.

We're getting older! I feel the same haha! 😅

The latest patch fixed by CSL DD and separate T-LCM issues.  I can now control the thing.  But as others have said, the feeling through the wheel is very lacking.  It looks nice and run very well in pancake.  I still have issues with it in VR.

I played a bit - but found myself missing my comfortable ACC, so spent my gaming hours practicing the US tracks for that instead.

Im glad I got a free 10 hour trial and didn't buy it.  

I'm going to give the demo another couple of tries. I love the atmosphere it has, which makes up for the cons pretty well. What it does well, it does extremely well.

I also got the Formula Hybrid 2022 in AC, but I must refrain from playing that now. 😶

As I’m running my career inline with the real season, my week was pretty much.

• Time Trial Austria to get used to the track
  • Practice Sessions for SP Career
  • Practice Sessions for Weekly MP Event
  • Quali for SP Career
  • Quali and Race for Weekly MP Event
  • Sprint and Race of SP Career 

It was quite a tense SP 50% race as I was 2nd for most of it, just managing to hang on to my team mate Leclerc and ahead of Verstappen, only by staying within 1 sec for DRS, eventually I made a mistake and slipped out of DRS which left me vulnerable to Verstappen and then Hamilton. I probably could’ve got Hamilton back but ended up having to lift and coast to save fuel having gone too aggressive. Finished 4th, disappointed not to be on the podium but it was a fantastic race. The AI was uncanny at times, mirroring real life, diving to the inside at turn 3, Verstappen out braking himself while ahead of me at turn 3 and then racing side by side 4 through 7, amazing stuff.

MP was not too bad either, I had a poor Quali, started mid-grid but managed to gain a few places by the end. Racing was fairly clean, much more so than the quick short races I’d done previously. At least I got a Trophy for my cabinet, not a great trophy but still a trophy 😃.

My racing wasn't clean online... An absolute clusterfuck. I need to do more Placement races, I've only done a couple and mostly just done online for the events. Im not massively fast but I think I'd do better if I wasn't surrounded by people happy to pick up penalties and see where that leaves them at the end of the race

1 hour ago, wev said:

My racing wasn't clean online... An absolute clusterfuck. I need to do more Placement races, I've only done a couple and mostly just done online for the events. Im not massively fast but I think I'd do better if I wasn't surrounded by people happy to pick up penalties and see where that leaves them at the end of the race

I think I was probably lucky, it was a Silver B Safety rated field but I expect it’s a bit like GT Sport/ACC and you need to climb the rankings a bit and then it’ll settle into better/cleaner racing.

I’ll probably spend most of my time in single player though.

It has native VR support? Guess i'll be buying it tonight then :)

have they fixed the baku death barrier glitch?

[edit]

Addressed an issue on Baku where the player could crash into Turn 15 on Baku when under AI control using flying lap

Addressed an issue with tecpro barriers coming loose on Baku

close enough

context, not my video

Spoiler

Edited by SeanR

Tried to play this over the weekend but the performance in VR was horrendous on my system.  Reading online I don't think the frame smoothing on it works very well, so if you get frame rates under the native refresh rate of your headset, you get awful juddering which makes the game unplayable for me.  I was able to sort of fix it by setting the main framerate of my HP Reverb G2 to 60hz, but none of my other VR games need this and it's a pain to have to switch between the modes.

Also, I found the handling impossible to get on with.  I have no issues with single seaters generally in games, but the snap oversteer when you get on the throttle is just insane.  No warning through the FFB before it happens and impossible to catch, especially in the F2 cars.  Am I doing something wrong?  Can this be fixed through setup? 

Have you got traction control on or off? I read somewhere that Norris has said that having it off the cars are more sensitive and that having it on is "closer" to how the cars feel irl

Just now, wev said:

Have you got traction control on or off? I read somewhere that Norris has said that having it off the cars are more sensitive and that having it on is "closer" to how the cars feel irl

That just highlights how unrealistic the handling model is. :( 

1 hour ago, SharkyOB said:

Tried to play this over the weekend but the performance in VR was horrendous on my system.  Reading online I don't think the frame smoothing on it works very well, so if you get frame rates under the native refresh rate of your headset, you get awful juddering which makes the game unplayable for me.  I was able to sort of fix it by setting the main framerate of my HP Reverb G2 to 60hz, but none of my other VR games need this and it's a pain to have to switch between the modes.

Yeah, VR performance is hit and miss.  I can get a stable 60fps in most cases, but the random dips (and when sitting in the garage) are really jarring and they even make my headset crash when they get too bad.

I also play in 60hz, but I do for all games in the Reverb G2.   I can't use any form of image smoothing (I notice it always, and hate it) so image quality needs to take too much of a hit for 90hz.  So it's 60fps in all games for me.  Seems fine and much better than trying to attain 90fps.

1 hour ago, SharkyOB said:

Also, I found the handling impossible to get on with.  I have no issues with single seaters generally in games, but the snap oversteer when you get on the throttle is just insane.  No warning through the FFB before it happens and impossible to catch, especially in the F2 cars.  Am I doing something wrong?  Can this be fixed through setup? 

I've had a similar experience, and just play with traction control on.