F1 22

Valver

2 hours ago, Valver said:

Sounds like we need to start collecting some "EA Play/Origin" names to add friends in game then!

I am "MIRVValver"

I'll be on it eventually but I have the same pedals as you, also connected via USB, so not much point me getting it for now.

Ditto. Not that I give a shit about F1 but I'd try it out just for something else to use my wheel/VR hat for. And mainly to race with the rllmuk crew if that's where they're racing. But I'll want the go and stop pedals to work for that.

Right, well, as this does run on my PC I've pre-ordered on Origin via CDKeys, though they dont send the code out till day of release.

Meant to add EA/Origin ID is RivaOni

Had a quick shakedown test to make sure my pedals & VR hat work ok.

VR is a bit ropey as I've only got a 5700XT and Quest 1, and it insists on using SteamVR,  but it works well enough to get a few laps in. I dare say there'll be a secret setting somewhere that improves things but I didn't bother going down that particular rabbit hole yet.

Force feedback seems 'ok' in that I can feel stuff, but as @Yannik says, it's hard to feel the rear (fnar) and I don't know what all the buttons do yet. Oh, and it defaulted the max rotation to 180 degrees on the wheel somehow, which made ACC super bloody twitchy until I sussed out what happened.

I'll buy it if the rest of the gang are racing, but probably not if it's just me.

This is a shambles to get to work in VR!  I got so frustrated just deleted it. 

I have a RIft S, G920 and was trying to get it working through the Xbox PC Gamepass/EA Play free 10 hour trial.

So my wheel is working through Logitech G Hub.  Open Oculus Home, start the game in VR...which then opens Steam VR?  Why is it opening Steam VR?!  My game isn't on Steam?  Everything is odd there as well, none of my games showing...everything blank.

Hey, as long as it works...but no.  Can't even get to the start screen.  

I try without VR?  It's fine, wheel/pedals work, etc.  Must be something conflicting between Oculus/Gamepass/EA/Steam VR (?!!) but trying to navigate getting a solution on that mess of a set up is just impossible.  I'm going to stick with AM2/AC/PC2 for now...shame.  😢

Managed to snag a copy via a friend at Codies. Spent a few hours on it this evening and… eh. Big, fat eh.

I remember trying F1 2019 after a few years away from the series and I just didn’t ‘get’ the cars. I didn’t feel connected to them. I was so uncomfortable with the handling I couldn’t push at all and simply driving was a huge effort.

Then, F1 2020 came out and somehow it fixed those things. The cars weren’t easy to drive, but I felt connected to them. I could push on and actually race. When I span, it was because I’d pushed the envelope too much. Absolutely loved it.

Not sure how to describe why, but 2021 felt like it reverted back to 2019 for me. Throttle and brake just felt really woolly, and once again I was just binning it all the time.

2022 has just taken this and made it worse. You so much as think of pressing the throttle on corner exit and you’re frisbeeing down the road like a fidget spinner on an ice rink. The things just feel cumbersome and disconnected. I could quite comfortably race with 95% AI on 2020. Struggled to keep up with 80% AI in my one race this evening. They could just get on the throttle in a way that the handling didn’t afford me the confidence to believe I could do.

I can only really compare it with GT7 and ACC. In both of those games, I can just feel the car much easier. I can learn within a few laps where my braking points are and get used to a wide variety of different cars because what is happening on my TV seems to line up with what’s happening on the wheel and pedals I’m sat at. I’ve yet to feel like those two things are connected on F1 2022.

The real life 2022 cars are supposed to be gigantic shitboxes to drive so perhaps they’ve nailed it! I’ll keep playing and putting in some time to see if I can stop myself going full-on Lance Stroll.

I managed to get this set up in VR on my Rift S with a little fuss but not too much. To be honest I had more fuss with my G29 wheel and pedals, but got that sorted too. As for driving, well, I actually rather like how these cars handle, but is it me, or are the lower gears absolutely pointless? I've been time trialling at Monza and used 5th to 8th only, with 5th only being used for Rettifilo and Della Roggia - any lower than 5th and it's too easy to spin when accelerating out of the corner, and even in 5th that's dicey. For the two Lesmos I just stay in 6th all the way through. 

But it's at Ascari where I decided I'm not buying the game, not right now anyway, maybe after a patch. The racing line coming out of Ascari takes you off track, as it should - all drivers do it. But the game penalises you for going off track and invalidates your lap time. 

ray-liotta-laughing.gif.c4cc5a4e18537f5b62c50780f0ac477e.gif

Codie's F1 games were doing that ten years ago. Never change, Codies. :)

1 hour ago, wev said:

xcl9M8n.png

I don't really see the point of the super cars, would have been far better if there were more feeder series cars etc

Sadly it’s just more window dressing, pure and simple. Buy the same driving model we’ve been flogging for the best part of ten years. Each year that core experience has been adorned with different trinkets to distract for the truth that the bit that matters (the driving bit) is well past it’s sell by date.

Game is crying for a new engine, come on codies! Maybe EA should keep codies on dirt games and give F1 to another team. New ideas and all.

Well, I think the last one I bought and played must have been about 10 years ago 😂.

The supercars definitely feel like they use the same handling model but with all downforce removed.

To be fair, when I got used to the handling on 2020 it was pretty great. The AI were punchy and raced pretty intelligently. The career was pretty interesting too. It’s simply a matter for me that 2021 and 2022 have taken the handling back to where I just don’t like driving the cars again, which is a real shame.

My own main issue is that while maybe not the definitive driving model as far as simulation goes, the one in GT Sport and subsequently GT7 is just bags of fun to play with.

And since I play that a lot of it, any F1 game will get compared to it. The super formula in GT gives us a good idea of what an F1 game could feel like. It’s fun, the car feels detailed and alive in a way the F1 games just don’t get anywhere near. 

Yeah, I’m with you on that. You could throw me in any car on GT7 and within a few laps, I’ll have an idea how to drive it. How well it brakes. What it’s like with change of direction. Most importantly, where the traction is and how the rear ended feels.

F1 2021 and 2022 have taken that away for me. Especially the traction and rear end. There’s just not enough cues in the handling to allow me to feel comfortable.

On GT7 I can concentrate on racing. On the past few F1 games a whole bunch of that concentration is spent second-guessing the cars themselves.

I love GT7, but I'm finding if I switch the PS4 on I tend to play FFXIV.

I've not experienced the issues @kiroquaihas with F1 22 but maybe I'm just not fast enough, though I do have traction control on medium just because I can't get purchase on starts with a controller.

It does feel like the brakes lock up kind of easy, I rarely use full pressure on the trigger but still seem to lock up, had to dial the pressure in the car setup back to about 85% and 52-48

I’m on PS5 with a DualSense rather than wheel and must say I’m thoroughly enjoying it, I’m running with no assists and actually finding it very predictable. Perhaps it’s a bit more forgiving with a pad, although you still need to be careful putting the power down.

Racing  the AI Is also very satisfying, at the moment I’m against level 79 which is the top of hard difficulty and qualified 2nd in the Ferrari at Silverstone. I’m going to run my Driver Career in parallel with the real season, 50% races, replacing Sainz and will do a My Team season from the beginning, maybe with 25% races.

@Thor the track limits in TT are very strict, you get used to them but they are much more forgiving in Career, there are a couple of levels, I chose the less strict.

22 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

@Thor the track limits in TT are very strict, you get used to them but they are much more forgiving in Career, there are a couple of levels, I chose the less strict.

But the fastest line takes you off track in Monza, that's a known fact. Good to know you can choose lest strict options, but I'm gonna give up. I just time trialled around Monaco, and there you really do need the lower gears - spin city unless you turn on traction control - in F1 that's cheating. It's just impossible to feel the limit of the car and have confidence in it. 

Also, maybe it's just a time trial thing, but I had a look at changing my setup, and wile I could tweak the wings, ride height, toe etc. I could not see an option for gear ratios ... er ... whut?  Maybe I was just in the wrong screen, the menu system as an absolute abomination after all. 

edit: Shows how out of touch I am with real F1 - fixed gear ratios!

3 hours ago, mexos said:

Sadly it’s just more window dressing, pure and simple. Buy the same driving model we’ve been flogging for the best part of ten years. Each year that core experience has been adorned with different trinkets to distract for the truth that the bit that matters (the driving bit) is well past it’s sell by date.

Game is crying for a new engine, come on codies! Maybe EA should keep codies on dirt games and give F1 to another team. New ideas and all.

Project Cars studio Slightly Mad?

Looked up a setup for Monaco and tried it. The car was definitely better under braking, but I still had zero confidence in throttle control and response. There seemed to be no rhyme or reason as to when I'd spin coming out of a corner. 

Also, I tried the career mode ... unskippable cut scenes and dialogue ... oh. my. god. I'm just not gonna buy it. This is a genuinely bad game, let alone a bad F1 sim. Thank fuck for the 10 hour trial.

When I saw this cover art originally I thought - why is the digital avatar character from last year 2021 story mode on the cover? (on the right) - then just seeing the real British GP on the telly just a minute ago - the penny dropped

spacer.png