F1 22

Valver

Its a bit of a muck up on the PC front right now.  And this is why I dont pre-order.

Those who purchased the Champions edition should be able to play right now (you get 3 days early play before general release) - except Steam users are all unable to run it and EA Codies aren't sure why its not working.

Its also been revealed that players on Steam wont be able to play with users on Origin/EA Play.  So that's some leagues screwed right off the bat.

To answer @wev's question - if you have EA Play you can do the 10 hour trial thing (Ive got mine downloaded and waiting to unlock on the 1st)    EA Play Pro gives you access to play the full game on release day.

I just want it to be good in VR 🤞

2 hours ago, rafaqat said:

Is this going to have cross play?  i.e ps4/pc/xbox crossplay?   That would be nice.

1 hour ago, MattKB said:

I hope so as the lobbies have struggled on the last one. 

Seems it'll come but not at launch.

The F1 22 video game comes out tomorrow for early access buyers and slightly disappointing news is that crossplay and cross platform multiplayer support isn’t available at launch.

Although the postponement is disappointing, there’s still lots to look forward to in Codemasters’ newest entry. The always enjoyable career mode returns, PlayStation users get some unique DualSense features, and the game looks more stunning and realistic than ever.

You will be able to play with friends across different platforms eventually, but – for launch – you will have to settle for the same console family.

4 hours ago, Valver said:

To answer @wev's question - if you have EA Play you can do the 10 hour trial thing (Ive got mine downloaded and waiting to unlock on the 1st)    EA Play Pro gives you access to play the full game on release day.

I just want it to be good in VR 🤞

So all Xbox PC Gamepass subs have a free 10 hours to test VR through EA Play on the 1st July?  

24 minutes ago, Mitchell said:

So all Xbox PC Gamepass subs have a free 10 hours to test VR through EA Play on the 1st July?  

You can do it now, I was literally just playing it.

I can download on Steam EA Play now, no idea if they've fixed the no launching issue yet though 

Oh and also I was watching a stream earlier and they were saying if youre on PC and you use a wheel with pedals that both use USB, the pedals are causing a delay in the wheels inputs.

11 minutes ago, wev said:

and also I was watching a stream earlier and they were saying if youre on PC and you use a wheel with pedals that both use USB, the pedals are causing a delay in the wheels inputs.

I'll find out in a mo!

Well it unlocked OK!

...but I fell at the first hurdle (before even trying VR) in that the game wont recognise my TLCM pedals which are connected by USB.  I am not alone - The Codies Help forum (https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Mixed-Controllers/m-p/11593357#M336) is saying plug them in to the Thrustmaster base directly using the RJ12 connector.  Great advice, except I dont have a Thrustmaster wheel, I have a Fanatex CSL DD.

So I cant drive.

Shambolic.  Worked fine in previous F1 games!

15 minutes ago, Valver said:

Well it unlocked OK!

...but I fell at the first hurdle (before even trying VR) in that the game wont recognise my TLCM pedals which are connected by USB.  I am not alone - The Codies Help forum (https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Mixed-Controllers/m-p/11593357#M336) is saying plug them in to the Thrustmaster base directly using the RJ12 connector.  Great advice, except I dont have a Thrustmaster wheel, I have a Fanatex CSL DD.

So I cant drive.

Shambolic.  Worked fine in previous F1 games!

I can't even get the game to install... after downloading to 100% I'm stuck with this...

image.thumb.png.6b6af5028c06c05a8831d806811f8f07.png

I decided to go back in again, using my Xbox controller this time, to test out VR.

Quest 2 - over link cable.   Game prompted me if I wanted to start in VR, then opens Steam VR  (so now I have Oculus client, EA Play and SteamVR all running!)

The menus and everything are all presented as a big flat screen in front of you - cinema style.  Works well enough.

Jumped into a Ferrari and OMFG - what is this?!  Despite the in game settings being on VR Ultra (it autodetected that) the resolution is hilariously bad.,  Like 640x480 bad.  Everything is a blurry mess.  And the performance is dire.  Utterly unplayable.  Sub 45fps and super laggy and jerky.  Noped out in under 30 seconds.

I'm not alone (altho mine is lower rez and even worse than this!):

Somethings is clearly not happy - it didnt look *that* bad in the previews!

How do games ship in these states?!  A quest 2 isnt exactly rare - its *the* most common headset according to Steam hardware surveys.

image.png.77a14eaac220942133add6202a7a07d8.png

I'm downloading using the Origin client now, instead of the Xbox and EA Play combo that I thought I had to use these days.   The 'preparing download' issue is a sticky in their forum, and people have suggested that the Origin client is fine.  Jesus!!

@Valver > If the Quest 2 is so much of a cluster fck, I dread to think how my Reverb G2 is going to fare as it's not a supported headset :D

4 hours ago, Myron said:

You can do it now, I was literally just playing it.

I'm glad you pointed this out, I assumed the test would be available on the actual release date (the 1st).  Thanks!

I don't get EA's logic on how this trial works

I paid £1 to get an Xbox GamePass Ultimate trial.  Absolute bargain as it is.  That then entitles me to a free month of EA Play pass too.  Result.  And with that, I get to play (for ten hours) their latest F1 game, 3 days before the general release date, and before people who have preordered and paid full price for the standard edition of the game on PC.   Doesn't seem very fair to the people who've coughed up £50!

42 minutes ago, davejm said:

@Valver > If the Quest 2 is so much of a cluster fck, I dread to think how my Reverb G2 is going to fare as it's not a supported headset :D

I think if your headset works with Steam VR it will work.  Cant vouch for the performance though!   

I'm going to have a rummage through SteamVR's settings - I hardly ever use SteamVR, everything is via Oculus usually.  I remember back in the day Steam did some supersampling stuff that I might have auto-enabled, and that could be killing performance maybe?

I said

"it'll unlock at 0900, don't play it when you get home from school though, as I'll upgrade the storage first"

21 hours lateur...

"yeah, this feels different, and I really like it. And look at the changes to Yas Marina... and I'm 3,500th in the world"

1 hour ago, Valver said:

I decided to go back in again, using my Xbox controller this time, to test out VR.

Quest 2 - over link cable.   Game prompted me if I wanted to start in VR, then opens Steam VR  (so now I have Oculus client, EA Play and SteamVR all running!)

The menus and everything are all presented as a big flat screen in front of you - cinema style.  Works well enough.

Jumped into a Ferrari and OMFG - what is this?!  Despite the in game settings being on VR Ultra (it autodetected that) the resolution is hilariously bad.,  Like 640x480 bad.  Everything is a blurry mess.  And the performance is dire.  Utterly unplayable.  Sub 45fps and super laggy and jerky.  Noped out in under 30 seconds.

I'm not alone (altho mine is lower rez and even worse than this!):

Somethings is clearly not happy - it didnt look *that* bad in the previews!

How do games ship in these states?!  A quest 2 isnt exactly rare - its *the* most common headset according to Steam hardware surveys.

image.png.77a14eaac220942133add6202a7a07d8.png

Wow, the Mercs even purpoising at a standstill now? ;)

Got it downloaded on Steam but will wait till tomorrow to play.

2 hours ago, Valver said:

I think if your headset works with Steam VR it will work.  Cant vouch for the performance though!   

I'm going to have a rummage through SteamVR's settings - I hardly ever use SteamVR, everything is via Oculus usually.  I remember back in the day Steam did some supersampling stuff that I might have auto-enabled, and that could be killing performance maybe?

I managed to load into the game while downloading.  Only Bahrain available during the download process, and I don't know the circuit; but playing in VR solves all of the issues I have playing the F1 games.  The added spatial awareness means I can turn in and judge distances properly.  So this is a game-changer with high speed racing cars, for me.  I just can't control them in pancake mode.

... although blimey, with traction control off I'm spinning all over the place.   I really need/want to learn how to drive these cars.

The game detected my wheel, and although the HE sprints don't have native support I was able to map them without issue.

VR performance was hanging at 60fps with the 'VR High' preset and DLSS in quality mode.  And that was in a race with lots of other cars.  But LOADS of game and headset crashing, and it won't keep my VR position for more than a few seconds.  So not sure what's happening there, and unless I can sort that it's not going to be playable.

Force feedback needs adjusting.  Very harsh on curbs (but in a rattly, fake sorta way).

First impressions, are actually really good.  Despite the technical issues, I saw enough of VR performance and that added enjoyment VR brings to make me want to play a lot more of the game.  I'll play a bit more tomorrow, when the download has finished.  And at a track that I know.

I did a reset of the environment settings for my Reverb G2 and that's sorted out the head tracking issues.

With 'VR High' settings and DLSS quality mode it runs great (RTX 3080, mind), it's just a little blurry.  Similar to how ACC is when looking into the distance, so I'm used to that really.  No doubt there will be some tweak guide videos at some stage, but I can't be arsed wasting the 10 trial hours faffing with that.

So I'm in business for some racing now.  Did some time trialing around Spa and Imola.

Next challenge is working out what button does what.  I've adjusted some mappings, but the button numbering seems pretty random for the Fanatec Formula v2 so I'm just feeling my way around how they've done the standard mappings for the most part.

EDIT: Force feedback sorted too.  Just followed the recommended in-game settings for F1 2021

There's paddock rumour that the original Dutch F1 legend Carel Godin de Beaufort @Meers is going to be trying this out soon. In this decade-old clip from the archives, we can all enjoy one of his most spectacular moments.

2 minutes ago, kiroquai said:

There's paddock rumour that the original Dutch F1 legend Carel Godin de Beaufort @Meers is going to be trying this out soon. 

I don't know where you got this scoop from, but aye - I'm very interested to step back into F1 sim racing.

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, kiroquai said:

In this decade-old clip from the archives, we can all enjoy one of his most spectacular moments.

My lines are shockingly bad there, but my dodging game is second-to-none.😌

Insane to think that was a decade ago!

Back to modern day, good to see there's cross-platform planned for this down the road. Got the PS5 version (not had time to play it yet) and would be very interested in any kinds of RLLMUK races if some get organised.

14 hours ago, Valver said:

How do games ship in these states?! 

Well it is tradition that F1 games ship with a couple of lovely bugs... 😅

14 minutes ago, kiroquai said:

Back to modern day, good to see there's cross-platform planned for this down the road.

Yeah, looks pretty good still too!

Cross platform?! My interest just peaked!

Progress in VR for me!  I delved into the in game settings and despite the VR performance page listing the resolution correctly, the normal graphics settings page was where my issues appeared to be coming form.  A tweak to the screen resolution (to match my monitor) and removing AMDs FSR and swapping it to DLSS (Quality) suddenly made an enormous difference.  Its still a bit of a soft image, but the resolution is now acceptable (I can see signs!) and the performance has become smooth again.  

It's playable!  (but on a pad - still no fix for my USB connected TLCMS)

15 minutes ago, kiroquai said:

Back to modern day, good to see there's cross-platform planned for this down the road. Got the PS5 version (not had time to play it yet) and would be very interested in any kinds of RLLMUK races if some get organised.

That sounds good :)

The boy got this on PC for his birthday and was playing last night with my old G29 setup.  It feels weird, but I'm not sure if it's down to the differences between the G29 and my T300, or the game, Logi GHub, or what.  It seemed to have a massive FFB deadzone straight ahead, with resistance only kicking in from about 10 degrees either side.  Makes things like Eau Rouge / Raddillon really difficult as you don't steer much more than that all the way through.

Looks pretty though :)