IGNORED

F1 22

Valver

I expect most already know but if you buy F1 22 from within F1 2021 then you get 10% off and if you have EA Play you get a further 10% off making it £64.79 - Champions Edition only, offer on until May 16th. With a bit of cheap credit, this comes down to about £57.70, on PlayStation at least.

• 2 weeks later...

Some PC VR footage has surfaced:

Framerate looks a bit low - but we have no idea of the streamers hardware, so can't really draw much from that.  Also, the mirrors dont look like they're in 3D (the view doesn't change with the head's viewpoint position) which is a shame -  but it's like that in many other racing games (eg ACC) so not a deal breaker.

Other than that - looking pretty damn good!

I think the most important thing for me is how are the AI & Penalties? I got sick and tired of it in 20/21 where I'd be hit in the side / rear by and AI and I'd get the penalty for it. Or one seen sometimes where I've spun / crashed and skidded across a corner, only to get a penalty for corner cutting. FFS I was sliding backwards!

I'd had a couple of bugs too where I'd been overtaken under the safety car, only to be punished when I try to take the position back. 

20 hours ago, T Pot said:

I think the most important thing for me is how are the AI & Penalties?

Same here. I think the last F1 game I played had AI drivers who weren't affected by rain. Not played one since, but VR might tempt me back.

• 4 weeks later...

It's looking really good in VR, with the added immersive options for formation lap, safety car and pitstop control etc.  I really struggle with F1 games due to the really fast aspect of the racing, but I'm feeling the hype for this.

Although I did some laps around Bahrain in F1 2021 earlier today and I'm all over the place.  I'm hoping some of that is due to being used racing in VR, so I'm gonna have a bit of a dabble in Assetto Corsa modding and try and get a feel for some of the tracks I'm not familiar with (Bahrain, Saudi Arabia etc).

Personally I wouldn't want to go anything lower than an Nvidia 3060.  You can run on lower spec cards - all the way down to a 1050Ti I think, but it wont be very pleasant at the lower end.

And if you're using a Quest 2, you have to factor in the additional overhead of rendering out the graphics to a video which gets piped to the headset.

21 hours ago, Valver said:

Personally I wouldn't want to go anything lower than an Nvidia 3060.  You can run on lower spec cards - all the way down to a 1050Ti I think, but it wont be very pleasant at the lower end.

And if you're using a Quest 2, you have to factor in the additional overhead of rendering out the graphics to a video which gets piped to the headset.

Thanks for this - time to track down a 3060! 

Developer Deep Dive

Talk about building it from the ground up. 

Cut n paste from version 1.0 of last years code without any of the fixes.

Find '2021' replace '2022'

Remove Russia track

Add VR

Patch same bugs again 

It just looks so tired.

If I had a PC and VR, obvs I would get it but on console there is nothing that is grabbing me at all. The only thing I really liked from last year was the story mode and that is gone.

I’m thoroughly enjoying F1 21, primarily due to the DualSense and I’ve pre-ordered 22. I enjoy racing the AI much more than most other racers, having some really good to and fro battles. In theory I like VR, PSVR has some cool games but these days I’d rather just lounge on the couch.

It probably also helps that I haven’t played an F1 game seriously since the 360 days, maybe 2013 being the last and only dabbling since. Really looking forward to the launch of 22.