Sonic Origins - Old School Sonic in Widescreen - June 23rd 2022 - All Platforms

Down by Law

4 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Digital Deluxe gets the free DLC, so that would indicate everything. Just a bad table.

Only if you pre-order.

2 minutes ago, MW_Jimmy said:

With unlimited lives. No option to turn off.

Have you played a Sonic game? You basically have unlimited lives anyway.

1 minute ago, deKay said:

The amount of time it took me to be able to beat Sonic 2 on Game Gear suggests otherwise.

(admittedly, this collection is presumably focussed on the inferior 16-bit games, so that may be less of an issue)

5 minutes ago, deKay said:

Sure - but it's nice to see a big number in the corner as a barometer of how well I'm doing. Just make it an option. Don't know why you wouldn't.

23 minutes ago, MW_Jimmy said:

Sure - but it's nice to see a big number in the corner as a barometer of how well I'm doing. Just make it an option. Don't know why you wouldn't.

But now the number to embiggen is coins!

Some details translated from Famitsu and the Japanese website:

https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/1516771801556467714

Sonic Origins tidbits from the JP PR:

-there's a story mode that combines all 4 games with interstitial cutscenes

-there are two museums with two unlock currencies "two galleries, one unlock currency", my bad: in addition to the normal gallery, there's a premium gallery that uses coins earned in boss rush, missions, etc

-music DLC adds Spinball/3D Blast/Chaotix BGM to the sound test

oh and that mirror mode thing listed as DLC is an unlockable in the base game

oh and did the confirm online leaderboards? bc they're in too

I guess this is one of the menu islands mentioned in the DLC listing? (the ones you'll be able to freely view with camera mode if you have the DLC)

more from the website:

in anniversary mode, you can spend the coins to retry special stages

they're promising never-before-seen museum content

there's a little disclaimer about how Amy was originally called "Rosie the Rascal", didn't think they'd acknowledge that

That comment about the DLC adding tracks to the Sound Test: just to the sound test, or in-game? Sonic Generations let you swap the level music to the unlockable tracks, to do things like play Spinball's Toxic Caves music in Generations' Chemical Plant.

2 hours ago, Siri said:

Hopefully it's something to do with Christian Whitehead again, after his various Sonic ports and his work on Mania.

Taxman (Christian Whitehead) has confirmed that his Retro engine was used for these, and Stealth has confirmed his involvement with S3&K!

25 minutes ago, LeighCb said:

Just stop playing after you lose three lives. 

Or after you've completed the game. That's likely to come sooner.

18 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

No NFTs? That’s a bit half arsed. 

I'm pretty sure the edition chart is actually an NFT specification.

Traits down the left. And hence each being different. Maybe these are the common ones but all other combinations are unique and there's only one copy going up on some very reputable NFT marketplace.

I don’t get why Sega is so insistent on the “no lives” thing. For all the people it attracts through accessibility, it must put off at least as many by messing about with the original mechanics.

1 hour ago, Halo said:

I don’t get why Sega is so insistent on the “no lives” thing. For all the people it attracts through accessibility, it must put off at least as many by messing about with the original mechanics.

It’s really not though. You get so many extra lives they’re utterly pointless.

5 hours ago, Nick R said:

Taxman (Christian Whitehead) has confirmed that his Retro engine was used for these, and Stealth has confirmed his involvement with S3&K!

Now I’m interested. Very curious to hear more as the early impressions and reviews appear, but it sounds promising. 

I played them all through on Xbox last year, and I really have no problems with those versions, but a tastefully updated companion piece to go alongside Mania on Switch might be just the ticket. 

10 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Sonic Mania was like a fan fiction what if remix of some original sonic levels and some new shit. It was very popular, but I bloody hated it. 

Agreed. Bad fanfic at that. Only 4 new zones out of 12. If people wanted to play a homage to Sonic games then Sonic Generations did it better years before.

Whoever decided to bring the terrible Special stages from Sonic CD into Sonic Mania should've been fired from a cannon...into the sun.

20 hours ago, Isaac said:

Madness, it's the best Sonic game since 3&Knuckles. 

It's not even a close margin either.

It’s by far the best.

It makes Sonic CD look and feel like some dodgy half-arsed ROM hack, and I used to love Sonic CD. Sonic 1, 2 and 3(&K) are still great.

Also, Green Hill Zone on Sonic Mania is only Green Hill Zone in name and general aesthetic while still managing to somehow look like a modern and new game. Its a whole new stage, and utterly glorious. The same goes for all the other ‘returning’ levels. As a whole, it’s a seamless presentation with nothing looking out of place one bit. It's the perfect retro/new cocktail and an utter crime that they didn't get to do two more games for a new trilogy.

I kept hearing that Generations was among the best of the post-Mega Drive Sonic games, so I played it earlier in the year and it was a miserable experience. I genuinely have no idea which bits were meant to be good.

1 hour ago, Quest said:

so I played it earlier in the year and it was a miserable experience. I genuinely have no idea which bits were meant to be good.

A perfect summary of all Sonic games.

7 hours ago, deKay said:

Wonder how they solved the music licensing issues.

“Additional Music Tracks from MegaDrive/Genesis version”, from that content comparison chart, I reckon.  With DLC sales generating the royalty to whoever so desperately wants to hold back/monetise those tracks.

??