street fighter alpha / zero

bplus

What would you guys say are the main differences between the  Alpha and 3 series? They sort of merged together for me, both being sprite-based but significantly more sophisticated than 2 , both being thoroughly at home on the DC etc. I had them all back in the day but struggle to differentiate them all now. 

23 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

What would you guys say are the main differences between the  Alpha and 3 series? They sort of merged together for me, both being sprite-based but significantly more sophisticated than 2 , both being thoroughly at home on the DC etc. I had them all back in the day but struggle to differentiate them all now. 

Loosely, I would say more combo-focused, more anime-esque in terms of visuals.

I think the games feel like a natural evolution/continuation of SFII, but then they went and made SFIII anyway which also has a lot of combo potential but feels a little more tactical with the risk/reward Parry system. SFIII doesn't look as cartooney though (you don't fully notice the difference until you see the mix of similarly-styled original Capcom Vs SNK sprites and Alpha sprites in the CvSNK series).

Anecdotally, the Alpha series seems to occupy an odd place in SF history, because they get so overshadowed by SFIII and the Versus games.

The Alpha series isn't as forgotten as the EX or Rival Schools games. But like Darkstalkers and X-Men COTA, the three Alpha games seem to be best remembered for contributing characters and sprites that eventually ended up in MvsC2, rather than as games in their own right.

see the gameplay merits/drawbacks of SFIII's parry system, and the sprite artwork, discussed online quite often. But I never see people analyse things specific to the Alpha series to the same extent.

Maybe it's because the Alpha games never had a viral clip like Moment 37 (which, as I understand, single-handedly revived the US popularity of Third Strike) and MAHVEL BAYBEE, and they didn't stick around at Evo forever like MvsC2? The time when Alpha was active on the competitive stage was long before it was easy to share videos online.

What I'm saying is: @TheShend, you should upload some Alpha tournament clips to go with your Third Strike ones!

On 25/04/2022 at 13:32, nakamura said:

This for me. Also Alpha 1 console ports have THE best music of all SF games. 

Apparently there's a hack for the snes ROM that replaces all its sounds with arcade sound, was the snes music actually better?

2 hours ago, bplus said:

Apparently there's a hack for the snes ROM that replaces all its sounds with arcade sound, was the snes music actually better?

I think he means the CD-based 32-bit versions of the first game.

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting video on the methods that Capcom used to speed up gameplay in their fighting games' Turbo modes. The video investigates fans' theories that the frame skipping system means that hitboxes that are active for a single frame might be missed (turns out the collision will always register, even if it's not shown), or that 1-frame inputs might be missed (turns out they can).

(This info doesn't just apply to the Alpha series, but Alpha 2 is the one he uses in the examples so I'm posting it in this thread!)

And a shorter companion video about why reversal timing is stricter in Alpha 2 than in other SF games:

I like the Alpha series, although admittedly I didn't really get into the first game.   I got Street Fighter Alpha 2 for the Super NES, an unbelievable port even if it is rough round the edges.   Then I got the Street Fighter Collection on the PlayStation which had Street Fighter Alpha 2 Upper (SF Alpha 2 with the addition of Cammy coming in dealing damage for one of M Bison's supers, IIRC).  Then I got SF Alpha 3 on PlayStation (or was it PlayStation 2?) - personally I think this is the best Alpha game by far.  SF Alpha Anthology I also got - this is the collection that must be grabbed.

Oh yeah I got Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max on the PlayStation Portable, issue there is the awful directional pad (uncharacteristically), otherwise it's a great port.

8 hours ago, Smoothy said:

I like the Alpha series, although admittedly I didn't really get into the first game.   I got Street Fighter Alpha 2 for the Super NES, an unbelievable port even if it is rough round the edges.   Then I got the Street Fighter Collection on the PlayStation which had Street Fighter Alpha 2 Upper (SF Alpha 2 with the addition of Cammy coming in dealing damage for one of M Bison's supers, IIRC).  Then I got SF Alpha 3 on PlayStation (or was it PlayStation 2?) - personally I think this is the best Alpha game by far.  SF Alpha Anthology I also got - this is the collection that must be grabbed.

Oh yeah I got Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max on the PlayStation Portable, issue there is the awful directional pad (uncharacteristically), otherwise it's a great port.

You should also be able to play as Cammy in Alpha 2. You do some sort of thing on the select screen as she's hidden. Also has a much better voice than the more baby doll-esque version used in Alpha 3.

Juni in Alpha 3 has a super move that summons Bison doing a Psycho Crusher attack so maybe it was that?

Personally I've never minded my PSP's d-pad for fighting games but I do have a 3000 model. From my understanding, it's the original phat PSP 1000 series that has an awful d-pad. That said, a lot of PS2 pads have nasty d-pads as well. The early, more solid controllers are better but the later ones (you can tell them from the flimsier, more flexible plastic) have crappy d-pads for fighters imo. If I play the Alpha games on the PS2 compilation then I use a PS1 controller with it as those were also more solidly built with better d-pads.

Yeah I have the original model - literally was a launch model as I bought it the morning it launched.  Cannot play Street Fighter on that directional pad.

It's possible you may be right about Cammy and Juni, I'm going way back in memory for that collection.

The name changes were hilarious - I think Street Fighter Alpha 2 Upper was called Street Fighter Zero 2 Alpha in Japan.

9 minutes ago, Smoothy said:

The name changes were hilarious - I think Street Fighter Alpha 2 Upper was called Street Fighter Zero 2 Alpha in Japan.

Haha, yeah I remember that. It's called "Gold" outside of Japan, and "Upper" was the revision of SFA3. The worst title from the era for me is still Street Fighter EX +Alpha on the PS1. I mean, WTF?

I was playing Alpha 3 again recently and I remembered something else about this series that I enjoy: the multiple different supers for each character. It's a lot more fun than SFV where it's just the one super move (IV had a couple per character I think from memory).

I completely forgot about Cammy's Killer Bee Assault for example but I've been using that quite a lot now as it's just very satisfying to pull off.