street fighter alpha / zero

bplus

I never really bothered with the alpha games, I've still have my pal alpha 3 Dreamcast version but for what ever reason it never clicked like sf2 (sf2 turbo).

However last night I was playing alpha 2 on retro arch with a Saturn usb pad and it really does seem like a good game.

(Though why in the Japanese version is there a character called Sodom!?)

Anyway, anyone here played these much? Any thoughts?

I missed out on Alpha in the day, because I was one of those filthy casuals who thought that fighting games were going out of fashion. I dabbled, but I wasn't properly invested in Street Fighter again until 3rd Strike blew up. I've still got the Alpha Anthology on PS2 (but no PS2 at the moment 🙃 - still, it could be useful for emulation) and the 30th Anniversary Collection on PS4.

8acf3-5bea3-sfa.gif?w=372&h=216

I always admired the character art of Alpha games - they did more to bridge the gap between the art we saw in the manuals and on the covers, and what the games could produce. I know that the animated movies were an influence as well (or was it the other way around?) but the sprites are a great representation of the promo art and associated packaging.

4118607335_d5382eedf5_o.png

I never played enough to get good at any of them but I liked the systems on offer and I've had some good Alpha 3 casuals with forumites online; whether it was through the 30th Anniversary Collection or back in the days of Kaillera sets against @Willei. It's kind of a shame that certain ports of games have exclusive extras (like the characters in Alpha 3 Max), but I guess the other versions are going for an arcade-perfect experience, so it depends on what you're after.

Also Dramatic Battle / Reversed Dramatic Battle is awesome and I wish it would come back in some form. SFVI gameplay mode maybe? ;) 

Absolutely love them. Alpha 3 is one of the all-time greats imo. Even before you get to the gameplay, the character sprites, backdrops, and music are all leagues ahead of anything we get today in terms of raw artistry and creativity. I always say that the mid-late 90's were the absolute zenith of creativity and spritework in fighting games and the likes of Alpha 3, Third Strike, CvSNK and Darkstalkers just utterly blow me away no matter how much I play them.

I think Alpha 3 can potentially alienate some people due to all the different "ism" modes, custom combos etc. It can definitely be a lot harder to extract the most from unlike SFII. Even I usually can't be bothered and just stick with the most basic mode.

But it's still amazing. I just wish I could use Rainbow Mika (one of my favourite SF chars along with Akuma and Cammy) better but those 360 inputs and situational super moves are hell on most control pads in the heat of battle.

Alpha 2 is the sweet spot in many ways - far more expanded than the original, but still a much more straightforward fighting game compared to 3.

I personally use the Anthology on PS2 to play them, or the PSP port of Alpha 3 which I've always got on with despite many hating the PSP's d-pad. I do have a PSP3000 though and not the original fatboy model and I think that makes a difference. PSP version has the most characters (everybody from Upper and the GBA port) + the exclusive Ingrid character.

TIP: you can unlock other versions of the games on the PS2 collection by beating the arcade modes just once (I think). The game just doesn't tell you. For example, if you choose Alpha 3 while holding down SELECT, you actually get to Alpha 3 Upper which has more characters such as T-Hawk, Deejay etc. There's also a modified version of the original called Hyper Street Fighter Alpha.

23 minutes ago, bplus said:

Sodom is the ninja boss bloke from Final Fight. He's also in Alpha 3. I don't know why he wouldn't be in the English port though.

Anyway, sorry for the massive post. I just love these games!

I did like the zero/alpha games, and have quite a few over a bunch of consoles, but I’m another that never really got it properly. All the different v-isms are something I never worked out properly, and just stuck with a standard street fighter 2 play style. 

It wasn’t until 3rd strike that I got back into actually learning how to play properly. 

The style of the alpha games is probably my favourite though, the cool anime style art and the presentation of the menus. The announcers! 

And of course the easy cross overs with the marvel games. Having a style across multiple games was a brilliant idea.

14 minutes ago, deKay said:

Alpha 2 is the best one. Probably the best of all fighting games. And yes, I can show my working:

https://lofi-gaming.org.uk/blog/2016/01/12/why-street-fighter-alpha-2-is-the-best-street-fighter/

Ha! I remember either getting human killing machine or street fighter on the front of your Sinclair, I couldn't play it! Actually most spectrum games were unplayable to 8 year old me!

PSP Alpha 3 Max has a great single player mode and can be played on a Vita or PSTV so you don’t have to put up with the PSP’s terrible d-pad.

SF 30th Anniversary Collection is a good way to take the three Alpha games online.

Zero was one of the first post SF2 Capcom games to be emulated on MAME, really early on in MAMEs life, at the time when only a handful of new games were being added with each new release. I was really excited when it was in the release notes because it was still a pretty modern game at the time , unlike most of the games which were being added that were still 80s or early 90s games. I left my dial-up 56k modem running for hours to download the 20mb ROM but it was worth it when I ran it and saw what was basically a modern arcade game running on my home PC. 

47 minutes ago, Camel said:

SF 30th Anniversary Collection is a good way to take the three Alpha games online

Only Alpha 3 has online support on the 30th AC, unfortunately. (And Hyper Fighting, Super Turbo and 3S.)

Unless there are some crazy PC hacks I don't know of or something.

Alpha 2 was the best one. Still got the Saturn version I bought on release, played that game to death. Could never get into Zero 3, it never clicked with me. 

39 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

Only Alpha 3 has online support on the 30th AC, unfortunately. (And Hyper Fighting, Super Turbo and 3S.)

Unless there are some crazy PC hacks I don't know of or something.

Ah. Been a while since I’ve played it.

11 hours ago, mash said:

Alpha 2 was the best one. Still got the Saturn version I bought on release, played that game to death. Could never get into Zero 3, it never clicked with me. 

I love Alpha 3 but I do prefer Alpha 2.

I distinctly remember, during my college days, my friends and I would go into the local HMV on our long Thursday break and play on the console pods. The chap who worked there "put up with us" and would let us play any game we wanted on any pod.

Alpha 2 got absolutely rinsed in the longest winner-stays-on competition I've ever been involved in!! It was great!!

I first played Zero 2 via the Super Famicom last year when I bought it off another forum member and it’s great!

I play the arcade version quite often now, but really, I’m dying to play it against another human player. 

Massive minority but Alpha/Zero 1 is my favourite.

I played this one to death and embraced the changes such as chain combos, air blocking and alpha counters. The priority on moves made more sense it me, for example you weren’t getting hit out of supers with random hits like in the sequels. I generally felt like hit boxes were better in the first iteration.

Also they removed chain combos from all the following versions, which didn’t sit well with me. It’s like they took away all this combo diversity and went back to the bog standard. Sure they put the custom combo system in but this was generally mash special as fast as possible.

It’s fair to say that number 1 was lacking in characters and backgrounds. I would have personally loved something that played like 1 that had the roster and graphics of 3

Sodom was probably cut from the Western release because it’s a reference to the destroyed biblical city. They used to be funny about religious references.

As for the Alpha series, I love them. I’ve got 3 of the 4 released arcade boards (I don’t have zero 2 alpha, which is interestingly the version on the SF collection on the Saturn and PS1, and is a pretty rare arcade game). 

My personal favourite is Alpha 3, it’s probably my 2nd favourite Street Fighter game after 3rd Strike.

13 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

I love Alpha 3 but I do prefer Alpha 2.

Same. I bought Zero 3 on Saturn near release and thoroughly enjoyed it, even bought the GBA version I liked it so much (I have a SF problem where I buy way more than I play)

Then I was recommended to check out Zero 2 by someone who pointed out it was still a 'good to try and still super cheap' Saturn pickup around 2014.

I was absolutely blown away by it, and while I really enjoy Zero 3 (especially coop Dramatic Battle) I find that Zero 2 feels like the logical evolution of classic SF2/Hyper Fighting, moreso than Zero 3 which has loads of characters and isms.

I know Custom Combos are an option in Zero 3 but having them as the core of the game in Zero 2 feels just right to me.

10 hours ago, fat flatulent git said:

Samurai (his helmet, anyway).

Sodom is an American Japanophile, which is why he wears an assortment of traditional Japanese things that don't go so well together but also sort of looks like an American footballer. Also the kanji on his chest doesn't mean anything. It's supposed to say "death" but he's botched it. 

He also has win quotes making fun of his attempts to speak Japanese, like "DIE JOB DEATH CAR" and "Boku wa itchy bun desu!"

9 hours ago, Goemon said:

Also they removed chain combos from all the following versions, which didn’t sit well with me. It’s like they took away all this combo diversity and went back to the bog standard. Sure they put the custom combo system in but this was generally mash special as fast as possible.

I forgot about that. I love the Chain Combos in the Darkstalkers series (and also in the 'A' Groove in CvSNK2).

Alpha 2 is my favourite Street Fighter. Alpha 3 is also good but it feels a bit mugen-y to me.

Alpha 2 has the best game feel, stages and music, introduces Rolento and Rose is really good in it. No Blanka but nothing's perfect.

Like others I played Alpha 2 a lot back in the Saturn era, it was just an absolutely cracking fighting game with a huge roster and incredible music and stage art. Winning a round with a huge custom combo never gets old, it’s so slickly executed.

To quote @Kevvy Metal, it’s my Street Fighter!

On 20/04/2022 at 07:46, Goemon said:

Massive minority but Alpha/Zero 1 is my favourite.

I played this one to death and embraced the changes such as chain combos, air blocking and alpha counters. The priority on moves made more sense it me, for example you weren’t getting hit out of supers with random hits like in the sequels. I generally felt like hit boxes were better in the first iteration.

It’s fair to say that number 1 was lacking in characters and backgrounds. I would have personally loved something that played like 1 that had the roster and graphics of 3

This for me. Also Alpha 1 console ports have THE best music of all SF games. 

On 19/04/2022 at 16:14, bplus said:

I never really bothered with the alpha games, I've still have my pal alpha 3 Dreamcast version but for what ever reason it never clicked like sf2 (sf2 turbo).

However last night I was playing alpha 2 on retro arch with a Saturn usb pad and it really does seem like a good game.

Anyway, anyone here played these much? Any thoughts?

To be honest the Dreamcast version of Alpha 3 is one to be avoid it's based on the Naomi arcade hardware version and I don't think the port from CPS2 to Naomi went well. The fighting and hit detection just doesn't feel right compared to the arcade, Saturn and PS2 versions which is a huge shame. On the plus side it does have lots of great extra content, once I played the Saturn version I never looked back. That said Alpha 3 even in the arcade had some issues and the three systems didn't work that well, not least because it felt like a step back from alpha 2 which has the a A & V ISMs rolled into one. Alpha 2 Gold / Dash remains my favourite of all the games in the series. It and Street Fighter III 3rd Strike are my top two games in the series.