IGNORED

Did you give up on Elden Ring?

Doctor Shark

It’s no secret that From Software games are difficult. It’s also no secret that many people give up on them fairly early on - usually a couple of bosses in once the game stops holding your hand (not that they do much of that anyway) and open up properly. 

But Elden Ring seems to have captured the imagination of far more people than a typical FromSoft game - scoring almost universal praise across the board and selling exceptionally well. 

We’ve seen it on this forum, too: people who usually give up on these games are sticking it out, for others this is their first FromSoft game and they’re loving it. The main thread is super active and there are multiple spin-off threads including one to specifically ask for help and guidance. 

But, surely, there are those who’ve given up and not gone back into the thread since? This is their chance to let us know they didn’t get on with the game - for whatever reason. 

So let us know:

- why you stopped playing

- which, if any, boss was the straw that broke the camel’s back or if you just got bored/fed up

- how many hours you played before giving up.

Be really interested to see how many people just didn’t get on with the game. If you have stuck it out and finished it, you don’t need to tell us here - that’s what the main thread is for! 

Not sure I’ve given up permanently but I just sort of ran out of energy to play it. Amazing game, but because it’s so intense I naturally needed a break. Alas that break was getting back in to MS Flight Sim, and it’s completely grabbed me again, and I’m enjoying it far more than the slog ER had started to become.

I did actually mean to try and get back in to it this weekend, but it didn’t happen. Not a good sign

I liked it but after fifteen hours felt I had seen all it was going to offer me. There's only so many times you can see YOU DIED before things get tiresome. I also didnt enjoy the open world element at all. 

I think I’ll probably go back to it since I do really like it, but it’s the same with all the Souls games for me, I just burn out on them. I’m not that fussed by them. To be fair, I’ve put 40 odd hours in, which is rare for me and proof that it did grab me. I got a bit swept up in the hype thinking it might finally be the one I finally bother to finish. But yeah…good as it is, it’s just another Souls game.

Like @spanx I think I just ran out of the energy needed to play it due to its intensity and decided I needed to play something less stressful for a while (Kirby in my case). I think I’m about 40 hours in give or take. 

I do fully intend to continue and still believe it’s one of the best games I’ve ever played but I need to wait for the right mood. 

Yeah, the reason I stopped playing was a combination of what Spanx said and just watching my other half play it. She's like 250 hours deep on it so I've seen a good chunk of the game and while I don't have much context for the areas as I'm not paying that much attention I've still seen a load of shit I'd quite like to have discovered myself.

But I knew this would happen as it's not the first time we've both been playing a game and she's gone much further than me and I've seen late game stuff. 

I got caught in the hype wave for it, but it wasn’t one for me, so sacked it off pretty early.

I think for me it was to see whether these types of games appealed to me anymore, but it appears that unless I’m being handheld through a linear narrative that’s done within 10 hours, I lose interest very quickly.

Once upon a time, I most likely would’ve been all over this, but my gaming habits have changed and I find myself now vicariously playing through my kids, who play a lot of Fortnite and Splatoon 2.

It’s great to see that the game is universally liked for the most part and its generating all these discussion points and experiences.

I saw the credits but I’m not sure if I have the patience for certain optional encounters. I might just go in again with a new character instead.

Incidentally, I gave up on DS1 but not its sequels, BB or Sekiro. Or Elden Ring. So in my mind DS1 is still the most difficult thing. 🙃

I’m about 40 hours in, done all the areas up to Altus plateau and am just a bit bored. It feels very familiar and the summons trivialise or break a lot of the bosses - and I don’t even use the special ones people go on about like the mimic tear. Even the wolves and jellyfish still break them. 

I enjoy it while I’m playing it but I’m not loving it. Feels like a lot of filler content, so I’m going to go away and play something else like Tunic for a bit and come back. 

It’s just a boring game and I found the open world to be a hindrance to enjoyment. You still have the same old DS move set just in a bigger area with a magic horse. And even though Zelda comparisons are ridiculed (which allows climbing, gliding, experimentation with the worlds physics etc), they are absolutely valid. 

Why did the creators actually think an open world was a good idea? What had it brought to the genre except size?  The cleverly crafted world of the first DS and Bloodborne, which is actually what made those games memorable, just isn’t there. 

It’s also a bit of a grind fest, falling back on old school RPG mechanics to progress, but without any of the charm or story of old school RPGs. Sure, with hundreds of hours put in I imagine you could beat anyone with anything, but who has time for that? 

The graphics and the music are shit. It will age terribly. 

Finally, there were better games recently released - MK8 extra tracks came out and Kirby at the same time. 

I put 10-15 hours in whist I was off work with Covid recently. I've never played the previous games so everything was new. I generally struggled to see the attraction tbh but I'll probably go back to it when I've got a chunk of time.

I've played for around 200 hours and I am going to finish it soon but I've had to put it on hold for the week because I am currently in a different country to my Xbox.  I've only got Malenia and Elden Beast left to beat and I'm currently just farming runes to upgrade various weapons to try out.   I think that the Blasphemous Blade might be the one that carries me through.

I haven’t voted because I’m not sure — at a point where I feel like the capital is my next area, but (from googling) might be a bit under levelled. 

I will say that the last couple of areas feel like they have fewer caves etc to work on — not sure whether that’s true, or a symptom of my appetite to explore going down. 

The only other souls game I’ve played is Demons Souls PS5, and I’ve definitely got a lot further in this than I did in that. I just need something to give me a boost of interest/motivation again — maybe that’s the capital!

I hit a bit of a roadblock on the last boss, so decided to go a wrap up a load of stuff that I missed, Mohg, twin gargoyles and some dungeons. At lv 130 odd with about 90+ hours, I might go back for the EB at some point but I started a new character…

It’s interesting reading the different speeds at which people are playing this and I’m curious if this affects your enjoyment but is also a great indication of the freedom the game gives you?

@HarryBizzle 40 hours to get to the Altus Plateau? That seems really quick. I’m 94 hours and have only just reached it. Did you go to all the ‘secret’ underground areas? They all seem to open up before Altus. 

@RabMyself Lvl 130 after 90 hours? I’m averaging about 1 level per hour so I’m low 90s. Don’t think I’ve lost many runes, maybe a couple of levels on the way. Pretty mad that you’ve been able to do that. Did you farm?

I’d love this game to get a patch to add a BotW style map overlay to show where you’ve been. Would be fascinating to see peoples journeys. 

This poll isn't an ideal way of gathering this information. :(

Q1: How many people answered "No" because they've finished it, and how many answered "No" because their first run is still in progress?

Q2: How are the people who answered "No" for Q1 spread among these different play times? OK, we can probably assume that everyone who completed it is part of the 45+ group - but because of how Q1 was set up, we don't know that number!

Q3: 65 people (so far) answered "No" for this. I think it's safe to assume that this includes all 45 people who answered "No, I didn't give up" on Q1. So that leaves us with:

* Gave up because of a boss = 3

* Gave up because of something else = 20

* Completed the game or haven't yet given up = 45

I know this poll isn't about anything important (like, say, removing the Politics folder). But at the moment it doesn't give us the information it's intended to do. :(

Oh well, too late to change it now!

3 minutes ago, KartoffelKopf said:

@RabMyself Lvl 130 after 90 hours? I’m averaging about 1 level per hour so I’m low 90s. Don’t think I’ve lost many runes, maybe a couple of levels on the way. Pretty mad that you’ve been able to do that. Did you farm?

I’d love this game to get a patch to add a BotW style map overlay to show where you’ve been. Would be fascinating to see peoples journeys. 

I may be a bit more than 90 hours, possibly 100 but I did do a little bit of farming, spent an hour on a Sunday afternoon doing the Mohgwyn palace farm 😂

17 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I honestly don't understand the complaints about the visuals

Technically From’s games are always a little rough with some frame pacing issues, poor anti-aliasing and pop in. Aesthetically, however, their games are just glorious - with Elden Ring representing a high water mark not just for From but for video games in general. The range of environments and characters is extraordinary and the level of animation and attention to detail of every one of them is almost incomprehensible. 

edit: yeah, wot Ste said. 

All I’m learning from this thread is that lots of people can beat a one hundred hour plus game in less than six weeks. Lucky fuckers

I’ve played it exclusively since launch and just reaching 70 hrs And the capital. 

So far it’s been the easiest From game by a long way so I hope to finish it. (Knowing from it has something up its sleeve though). Stopped playing Selkiro as it was too hard for the time I had to give it. (I also think it’s my favourite from game)

1 hour ago, Nick R said:

This poll isn't an ideal way of gathering this information. :(

Q1: How many people answered "No" because they've finished it, and how many answered "No" because their first run is still in progress?

Q2: How are the people who answered "No" for Q1 spread among these different play times? OK, we can probably assume that everyone who completed it is part of the 45+ group - but because of how Q1 was set up, we don't know that number!

Q3: 65 people (so far) answered "No" for this. I think it's safe to assume that this includes all 45 people who answered "No, I didn't give up" on Q1. So that leaves us with:

* Gave up because of a boss = 3

* Gave up because of something else = 20

* Completed the game or haven't yet given up = 45

I know this poll isn't about anything important (like, say, removing the Politics folder). But at the moment it doesn't give us the information it's intended to do. :(

Oh well, too late to change it now!

Oh, do be quiet. 

1 hour ago, Ste Pickford said:

Although I love it, I don't think the game is above criticism, and I totally get that it's not a game for everyone.  But the graphics?  They're bloody incredible.  I can't imagine any basis for criticising the look of the game.  This game has 11/10 art direction and execution.

If we're being picky, there's a bit too much reuse of the broken parts of big buildings in the first areas.

9 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

If we're being picky, there's a bit too much reuse of the broken parts of big buildings in the first areas.

There is a lore reason for this that isn’t very well explained and then ditched quite quickly for reasons which also aren’t very well explained because From Software. 

Spoiler

They are ruins of a temple city that was once in the sky but fell to earth and smashed, which is why you get ruin fragments from them. It’s heavily suggested they’re part of Crumbling Faram Azula  

2 hours ago, KartoffelKopf said:

It’s interesting reading the different speeds at which people are playing this and I’m curious if this affects your enjoyment but is also a great indication of the freedom the game gives you?

@HarryBizzle 40 hours to get to the Altus Plateau? That seems really quick. I’m 94 hours and have only just reached it. Did you go to all the ‘secret’ underground areas? They all seem to open up before Altus. 

I got to the plateau at around 27 hours, I think, but I hadn't been to Caelid. I've done a lot of Siofra River but only done up to MT in the Eternal City. Don't know about any other underground areas.