IGNORED

Console and gear boxes - what do you do with them?

Captain Kelsten

What do you do with the boxes for your consoles and stuff? 

For no apparent reason, from the Wii U onwards, I’ve kept all the boxes for my consoles. They used to just be in the loft but when we moved house they got relegated to the garage. It was actually quite handy having them for when we moved, but really they’re just taking up space. 

I’ve also got the boxes for all my PC parts, like the Corsair fans and cooler and my graphics card etc. Again, no idea why. 

Anyone else keep all their boxes? Where do you keep them? Or do you do the sensible thing and Chuck/recycle them? 

Keep all boxes, usually long after the item has gone and find them in the loft 😂

Console boxes id rather not throw out but I’m getting better with other boxes and getting rid - I do still have all the boxes for the various controllers I’ve bought for Wii U onwards….. baby steps!

I keep them initially in case there's a fault...and then I carry on keeping them. :blush: 

I think the boxes are just useful because I'll know where everything is if I ever decide to get my 360 out and need the various video cables and accessories.

I keep them in the garage for about a year, which reminds me I should get rid of the PS5 and Series X boxes.

However, since the LG 55CX is going to be a nightmare to handle in case of moving, I'm keeping the box indefinitely.

3 hours ago, Qazimod said:

I keep them initially in case there's a fault...and then I carry on keeping them. :blush: 

I think the boxes are just useful because I'll know where everything is if I ever decide to get my 360 out and need the various video cables and accessories.

This is me.

My big console boxes are like Russian Dolls in that they're filled with smaller boxes for other tech stuff like tablets, phones, extra controllers etc.

5 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

What do you do with the boxes for your consoles and stuff? 

Because I've got the space, I tend to keep boxes for electronics for the warranty period. Not very good at enforcing that retention policy though, I note my Switch box is still in the basement. The other day I threw out the box to a PC's PSU that I bought in 2008, sigh. Pretty sure I've got a lorry load of tablet and phone boxes down there, too.

That said, I discovered my mum had the (pristine!) box to my megadrive the other year, probably a decade after I sold the machine to emigrate. Slight pang of regret there that I didn't have the machine to go with it.

Having said that, modern electronics are so utterly devoid of charm that I don't hold much regard for keeping the boxes now, it's more have the space/am a bit lazy. I really need to throw away the XSX box, for example. 

I used to hoard boxes in case of a problem but I wanted my loft back and had a stage of flattening them all, now 90% have gone for recycling.

Unfortunately my loft is now overrun with childrens toys, I will make it a usable space one day..

I keep all my console boxes, game boxes, whatever in my attic.  I have the space, and it does no harm, so why not.  Some of them are empty, some have game boxes or accessory boxes in them for space, and others make decent storage for, well, consoles.  Call it hoarding, collecting, whatever, I don't need all of my consoles out and available for playing all of the time.  Obviously some consoles play multiple generations so no need for a Gamecube or Playstation if I have their replacements set up, and, especially given the constant rise of video game prices, it's nice to know there's a Dreamcast (or whatever) in the loft if the moment takes me.

As a bonus It could even be useful as it limits the space I have to hoard other non-game crap that I'm less interested in.

My gearbox collection* on the other hand is kept in the garage.

*It's a collection of 1.

**I know this wasn't funny. I'm sorry.

3 hours ago, TehStu said:

Because I've got the space, I tend to keep boxes for electronics for the warranty period. Not very good at enforcing that retention policy though, I note my Switch box is still in the basement. The other day I threw out the box to a PC's PSU that I bought in 2008, sigh. Pretty sure I've got a lorry load of tablet and phone boxes down there, too.

That said, I discovered my mum had the (pristine!) box to my megadrive the other year, probably a decade after I sold the machine to emigrate. Slight pang of regret there that I didn't have the machine to go with it.

Having said that, modern electronics are so utterly devoid of charm that I don't hold much regard for keeping the boxes now, it's more have the space/am a bit lazy. I really need to throw away the XSX box, for example. 

The Mega Drive box is worth more than the console...

I keep all console boxes.  so I can pout the console back in its box once it's past it's useful life. Then it goes up on the shelf behind me and make s anice backdrop for zoom calls.     Everything else pretty much gets thrown away after a couple of months. I buy most things frmo Amazon so if tyhere's a need for a return they don't care where ther orginal box went

I’ve kept some of my retro ones as I’m a collector but that’s not always been the case. However, it’s always worth checking before binning any boxes.

I sold my mini snes box + inserts for £25 a good while back so it’s not just the really old stuff you can get cash for. Just checked and you can get around £25 to £30 for the PS5 disc edition box with inserts at the moment.

It’s really nice to have the packaging for the older stuff; it’s that nostalgia hit of opening the box again, looking at the manual and leaflets and reading the back of the packaging. Really evocative of those memories of looking at the consoles in the shops and hoping you’d get one at Christmas or your birthday.

The Wii box was always dense enough with contents to make it worth hanging on to, it actually takes up less space in a move than wrapping all the stuff up in paper or something. Improbably it turned out to be an ideal monitor riser when I was forced to start working from home in 2020.

Everything else gets held on to until there’s a move or something else needs the space or something gets sold, whatever arrives first. A fair amount of my older boxes got ruined by a roof leak that I might have held on to (RIP Odama) but I can already see my Switch packaging getting the heave-ho.

I was on the verge of chucking them all when I cleared out the garage recently, but popular opinion swayed me and now they are all up in the loft because I hate throwing stuff away but I can’t be bothered to try and sell them. 

I used to keep as much as possible. I end up selling 90% of my tech eventually and having the boxes is really useful for this in particular.

However… I live in a 2 bedroom flat - no garage, no loft, which makes this very tricky. So I keep less now…

No loft or garage but I have a very tightly packed cupboard and no space left. I've started selling off some of my stuff after years of hoarding and I'm glad I kept the boxes.

On 15/04/2022 at 10:51, amorenod said:

However, since the LG 55CX is going to be a nightmare to handle in case of moving, I'm keeping the box indefinitely.

As challenging as this can be, having moved recently, I can wholeheartedly recommend doing so. The absolute production I had to go through to pack my TV for a recent move, only to be left feeling that what I came up with was still inadequate, was palpable. 

I throw away everything after a period of time, but then I live in a flat and don’t have loft space or a garage. 

I keep everything. We had our loft boarded and a lot of what’s up there is boxes. I do sell a lot of stuff on, though. The box for our 55” OLED has been really handy - seen us through two house moves and will help us move it to my parents now I’ve upgraded.