The Back Page Podcast - Big Patreon Energy is go.

Sarlaccfood

8 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

Nice, thanks.

I just tried it on Higurashi episode 8 and in all honesty I think the sprites look worse than the default Steam ones, though it does add clearer backgrounds, full voice and lipsync so it depends what you're looking for.

There's also the fact that I've played eight fucking games with the default Steam ones so I may be just having Uncanny Valley issues.

11 minutes ago, smithstock said:

I'm sure there is reference to a video game bosses episode, but I can't seem to find it?

Have I been misled or is that a bonus episode or something?

It's the first XL episode. You need to back the Patreon to access it.

I love Lucasarts classic adventure games, but Ashley Day sounds like he's phoned in using tin cans and a piece of string. I genuinely can't understand what he's saying. The answers almost certainly no, but is there a cleaned up audio version, or any ideas on anything I can do to improve the quality?

1 hour ago, therearerules said:

I love Lucasarts classic adventure games, but Ashley Day sounds like he's phoned in using tin cans and a piece of string. I genuinely can't understand what he's saying. The answers almost certainly no, but is there a cleaned up audio version, or any ideas on anything I can do to improve the quality?

Er yeah, I think I know what you mean, but I don’t remember having too much trouble hearing him. I listen on Overcast and use the voice boost function though, which might have helped. I also listened on noise cancelling earphones which would probably help too.

I think the key with poor audio is blocking out as much external sound as possible.

1 hour ago, therearerules said:

I almost gave up on that one early on, but I either adapted to the audio quality as it went on or it may have improved a bit. It was a good podcast in the end, in spite of his audio.

Just finished the James Bond films XXL episode, which I really enjoyed. I’ve only seen a few of them so it was super interesting listening to their thoughts on each one.

Agreed that Tomorrow Never Dies has an excellent theme. It’s one of my favourites, and hugely underrated. Love the big 90s vibes.

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Popo said:

@samuelwroberts please please please invite Andy back on when his Alien Isolation book is ready for release, I’d love nothing more than to hear him talk about it, and the game, in endless detail. :)

Happy to ask him! I think Andy is enjoying it more and more with each guest appearance, so would love to have him back a bunch more times if there's an idea that captures his imagination.

• 3 weeks later...

The RPG companions episode was brilliant, proper cracked me up (and some good RPG nostalgia). Good Games of the Year lists in the latest episode as well, definitely interested in playing a few I've missed out on thanks to the summaries, and I'm impressed with the time the guys have put in to giving a lot of games a fair shot before the end of the year. 

30 minutes ago, Paulando said:

Would someone be able to list their GOTY top 10s? Been listening to it over a few nights and I already can’t remember them.

@Graham S has made a Google Doc that people can add to with all the different games from various episodes; the top tens for this year are on there already:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1C0Dr1OvSyfQlIOin5H1YSe7N3OCEPTIqBhaGBJtv50g/edit?usp=drivesdk

A fine first choice from Samuel! I haven't played Matthew's.

11 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

@Graham S has made a Google Doc that people can add to with all the different games from various episodes; the top tens for this year are on there already:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1C0Dr1OvSyfQlIOin5H1YSe7N3OCEPTIqBhaGBJtv50g/edit?usp=drivesdk

A fine first choice from Samuel! I haven't played Matthew's.

Completely forgot about this, thanks a lot!

• 3 weeks later...

Have the pair ever discussed Case of the Golden Idol?

I was listening to the best adventure game episode this week (one of the final few to do on my listen to the whole lot) and wondered what Matthew made of it given his love of Obra Dinn.

I'll have probably listened to the episode if they did but don't remember. And if not clearly he should be playing it.

10 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

I was listening to the best adventure game episode this week (one of the final few to do on my listen to the whole lot) and wondered what Matthew made of it given his love of Obra Dinn.

I'll have probably listened to the episode if they did but don't remember. And if not clearly he should be playing it.

It was in his top 10 of the year, not sure of the timestamp but you can hear him discuss it on the GOTY podcast.

Finally completed my listen to every past episode after starting on this show sometime last year.

Ended with the Lord of the Rings episode. Not a great one all around but it still had some classic moments.

Of course there's the Blorko tweet. Not all that interested in the tweet itself but love the dissection about what is so terrible about Twitter and it's users but no thought that maybe it could just be better if it was less important to you.

And Sam desperate that Matthew doesn't spoil Spiderman Far from Home but then getting much closer to doing so himself later in the episode with the "many Spidermans" comment.

Overall it's been great and there are some real highs. I think it's at its best by a mile when discussing magazines or with magazine guests giving their own history. Its felt much lighter on magazine guests in more recent times and poorer for it.

The draft format is great. Some better than others obviously (simple console drafts or the PC draft are wonderful). As with most of these style of lists it struggles the most when the two aren't really on the same page. One heart picks Vs one head picks doesn't actually make good content. It removes a lot of the competition over picks which is what's so fun. Maybe a guest on every draft would help. Really push how many options there are available to force more hard choices.

Love legacy GOTY episodes. So fun just hearing historical takes on top 10s.

Games Court is a lovely idea. At its best it's such great fun. Of course most of it is terrible because listeners are such try hards but it's worth it for the odd good entry and discussion of interesting titles.

Anyway, keep up the good work guys. Regardless of me yelling at you being imbeciles because I disagree when out running I love it.

19 minutes ago, samuelwroberts said:

Cheers. We will have more mag guests this year (per your 'much poorer for it' comment), but the content mix will largely stay the same.

Thanks Sam. It really is great. Its got completely the right energy for me. Just discussion of game in a way that doesn't take itself too seriously.

As someone who hates playing action and FPS games it's worth something that I still immensely enjoyed listening into lists of games I have no direct interest in 🤣

On 15/01/2023 at 08:36, thesnwmn said:

This was covered in a 'what have you been playing' segment, can't remember the episode though. Currently loving the phrase 'Pentiment heads', need to start using that more in general conversation.