The Back Page Podcast - Big Patreon Energy is go.

Sarlaccfood

• 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, Quest said:

'Name a non-platforming Sony character before Kratos?'

Maybe I missed something, but why do platformers not count?

It was just because Matthew dunks on the likes of Crash/Jak/Ratchet a lot so they're fresh in the memory.

In retrospect, that question didn't really go anywhere in this episode or prove a point 😂

I thought the point was to illustrate that God of War was the first of what would become what we now think of as typically Sony, big budget third person character driven AAA games, and represented a move away from the less adult-focused platformers of the previous generation, which dominated in the way that Sad Dad Simulators now do. 

3 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Non-Nintendo 3D platformers are the devil's work.

As much as I broadly agree for myself I think dismissive attitudes like this eventually just wear a bit thin. They start to undermine your perspective on too wide a set of things. When you criticise them fro being X but later lord X as something good (or quirky and lovably janky) elsewhere it becomes a problem (for me).

As much as I love Matthew's takes on many things his very strongly held views do on occasion, in my opinion, derail or stifle interesting conversation. I think it's interesting and important to be able to discuss things beyond your personal loves.

I may have just been overdosing old episodes recently by basically doing an episode a day whilst running. The result is you get a lot of similar things in your ears.

So really it's my method of consumption that is a bit off to an extent. Cannot wait to catch up and then fling shit on a weekly basis rather than right now where I'd be that weirdo complaining about someone's opinion on Blast Corps from 2 years ago.

:lol:

Sorry: I don't actually think that non-Nintendo platformers are shit - I was just answering @Quest's question above by explaining the 'lore' reason for why Sony platformers were disregarded from that conversation, as Matthew says he hates them (and I'm sure he doesn't, really). I should have been clearer.

Besides, @Popo is actually correct anyway!

Is Matthew wrong though? :lol:

I’m basically in full agreement. In a world where Nintendo are knocking Mario platformers out the park every 3-4 years, it’s difficult to appreciate games like Ratchet and Clank, which have bland, unsatisfying lookfeels. 

41 minutes ago, Popo said:

I thought the point was to illustrate that God of War was the first of what would become what we now think of as typically Sony, big budget third person character driven AAA games, and represented a move away from the less adult-focused platformers of the previous generation, which dominated in the way that Sad Dad Simulators now do. 

Yeah, basically this. A sign of the times.

Ratchet is a more of a shoot em up really. Having a couple of cute characters doesn’t immediately qualify it as a 3D platformer. That’s fine, of course, it’s just a bit unfair to directly compare it to 3D platformers as it’s trying to do something else.

As for the rest, Jak & Daxter is shite. Little Big Planet is overrated shite. Astro Bot VR was Crash Bandicoot with the camera strapped to your face.

Astro Bot on PS5 is ace though. Lovely use of the controller features, and the hidden extras and unlockables are gorgeous.

Astrobot has a legit nice lookfeel though. Moving the little guy around is pleasurable. Alongside the incredibly novel way it’s played I think that’s why people talk about it in the same breath as Mario.

That might be slightly unfair on the devs actually - there’s a lot of very good, couldn’t-be-done-without-VR, level design too.  

1 hour ago, thesnwmn said:

As much as I broadly agree for myself I think dismissive attitudes like this eventually just wear a bit thin. They start to undermine your perspective on too wide a set of things. When you criticise them fro being X but later lord X as something good (or quirky and lovably janky) elsewhere it becomes a problem (for me).

As much as I love Matthew's takes on many things his very strongly held views do on occasion, in my opinion, derail or stifle interesting conversation. I think it's interesting and important to be able to discuss things beyond your personal loves.

I may have just been overdosing old episodes recently by basically doing an episode a day whilst running. The result is you get a lot of similar things in your ears.

So really it's my method of consumption that is a bit off to an extent. Cannot wait to catch up and then fling shit on a weekly basis rather than right now where I'd be that weirdo complaining about someone's opinion on Blast Corps from 2 years ago.

Nah it is just a bit of daft chat about video games, I enjoy it because they have strong personal views on games they love and hate delivered amusingly, I don't want to hear milquetoast sitting on the fence takes because they don't want to upset the "well actually Ratchet and Clank isn't even technically a 3D platformer" crowd.

Their passion for the games they do love has encouraged me to check out or reappraise so many things I might have overlooked.

14 hours ago, ChewMagma said:

Nah it is just a bit of daft chat about video games, I enjoy it because they have strong personal views on games they love and hate delivered amusingly, I don't want to hear milquetoast sitting on the fence takes because they don't want to upset the "well actually Ratchet and Clank isn't even technically a 3D platformer" crowd.

Their passion for the games they do love has encouraged me to check out or reappraise so many things I might have overlooked.

Fully agree - I think the podcast has love for such a wide range of genres that there’s always going to be something for someone three episodes out of four. 

I mean, I have never played a visual novel and only legitimately give a shit about two Nintendo games in the past 20 years but I still love the podcast and think Matthew’s a quality critic. 

Friday’s God of War episode is excellent by the way. Could never get into the pre-2018 games but on the strength of that episode I fired up God of War 2 on the Steam Deck today and was utterly absorbed for hours. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/11/2022 at 08:20, Paulando said:

Ratchet is a more of a shoot em up really. Having a couple of cute characters doesn’t immediately qualify it as a 3D platformer. That’s fine, of course, it’s just a bit unfair to directly compare it to 3D platformers as it’s trying to do something else.

As for the rest, Jak & Daxter is shite. Little Big Planet is overrated shite. Astro Bot VR was Crash Bandicoot with the camera strapped to your face.

Astro Bot on PS5 is ace though. Lovely use of the controller features, and the hidden extras and unlockables are gorgeous.

Jak & Daxter 1 is better than Mario Sunshine. 

Significantly better.

On 21/10/2022 at 12:43, Alan Stock said:

Enjoyed the Visual Novels episode, I'm a fan of the genre myself but like Matthew I am mainly into the detective/Zero Escape type stuff. So it was good to hear about the broader genre with recommendations from Lucy and an insight into subgenres like dating sims. I also could never face the prospect of starting Higurashi because of its insane length, and the graphics always put me off. But I hadn't heard about this graphics mod for it Matt was talking about, if anyone has a link to it or instructions on it that would be great. 

https://07th-mod.com/home/

I didn't find the updated PC graphics to be bad (for Higurashi at least, haven't got around to the other games). The original ones aren't so good but the Steam releases default to the updated graphics.

Nice, thanks.

For the new Cyberpunk episode, would appreciate if people can let us know how spoilery it is in terms of side quests/plot etc.

The God of War episode was a good trip down memory lane. I had completely forgotten about the sex mini games and Matthew's little story was amazing :lol:

2 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

For the new Cyberpunk episode, would appreciate if people can let us know how spoilery it is in terms of side quests/plot etc.

Very spoilery. I would save it until you’re done with the game tbh, at least the second half of the episode, where it is very focussed on the main story and side character plots. 

Great episode though. 

3 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

Nice, thanks.

The God of War episode was a good trip down memory lane. I had completely forgotten about the sex mini games and Matthew's little story was amazing :lol:

They have said on Twitter that part 1 is spoiler free, part 2 has spoilers. I listened to pt1 earlier and it was fine considering I've not played it yet.