The Back Page Podcast - Big Patreon Energy is go.

Sarlaccfood

16 minutes ago, meatbin said:

My only criticism is that people seem to think they need to criticise something that they're getting for free.

I only mention the weather when I like it too.

It's just discussion about stuff. Generally massively positive.

I’m doing some long haul travel with work - perfect time to sign up for the Patreon.  I’ll be glad of the extra 25 hours of content! 

Cool to see that the pod is pulling in a decent monthly figure. The standard offering of £40 to guests is well covered 😀

I tend to listen to everything, even the stuff I have no clue about or interest in (Destiny, Phoenix Wright, Xenoblade). I couldn’t explain why apart from I just like  the vibe of the show. 

I do like that it’s not 100% focussed on the new releases. The episodes that hark back to when I was most engaged in gaming are the best (90s, 00s, early 10s). 

7 hours ago, samuelwroberts said:

I think the lesson I take from the discussion here (other than that my laugh holds back the podcast's ability to be a sleeping aid) is that no one exactly agrees on what a variety podcast's strengths are. 

Don't listen to these dickheads, Sam, your laugh is why I subscribed!

• 2 weeks later...

Loved the most recent ep with Ben Hansen. Great way to expand the range of the guests while still staying true to the podcast’s original MO.

I must admit I fell off minnmax a few months back, but nice to hear things are still going well for them. They’re an interesting example of a leaner, patreon-based operation that (thanks to the way they’re structured) can rotate in industry veterans as contributors. Something like Easy Allies looks so unwieldy in comparison. 

On 02/10/2022 at 17:52, samuelwroberts said:

You're too kind. We don't really get anything but positivity through our direct channels so it's refreshing to get an honest temperature check on here. Honestly, I try not to second guess the episode ideas too much because we got it this far, with lots of lovely supporters backing us.

As for guests, it comes in waves. We just happened to have a bunch this month. It's true I like to expand the remit of the pod by bringing in experts as identified. But November is just going to be me and Matthew discussing God of War, revisiting Cyberpunk and some other bullshit. 

Eventually, no matter your tastes, it *should* swing back around to something you like.

Hi Samuel, the rotating roster of different show types and guests is what keeps the podcast fresh and interesting. Never mind the hypercriticiality here.

Yes, another good episode. I've added a few of the titles to my Steam Deck wishlist, as they sound perfect for it. That one the guest was talking about where you get rung up by the game sounded pretty unique.

And I can't say I noticed any dry mouth noises. If anything, Matthew clocking the cough sweets around in his mouth wetly was what I picked up, but at least he forewarned us. I think it's funny whenever he gets a question and it's very obvious he's just tried to sneak in a Rennie.

I actually play the Backpage pod drinking game - take a shot when any of the below happens:

Matthew enjoys a hard candy of some kind (throat lozenge, Rennie or other)

Samuel says “Ahhh, good stuff”

Matthew makes a supportive “Mmm!” Sound

A game is claimed to have “big [X] energy”

A cursed object is identified

I've been working through this for a couple of months and a couple of eps before I'm up to date. Quite enjoying it and think I might back the Patreon soon, just ditched my Retronauts sub after 10ish years as I'm going off them these days. The weekly RN pod with the guy reading off his the script just doesn't hit the right note for me as they email it as an article which feels more like a blog. I only support a couple of podcasts and enjoying these guys work so going on the list.

Enjoyed the Visual Novels episode, I'm a fan of the genre myself but like Matthew I am mainly into the detective/Zero Escape type stuff. So it was good to hear about the broader genre with recommendations from Lucy and an insight into subgenres like dating sims. I also could never face the prospect of starting Higurashi because of its insane length, and the graphics always put me off. But I hadn't heard about this graphics mod for it Matt was talking about, if anyone has a link to it or instructions on it that would be great.