IGNORED

The Back Page Podcast - Big Patreon Energy is go.

Sarlaccfood

Hope the proposed live show from the patreon email goes ahead! I think I'm highly likely to attend, regardless of content. Would rather it wasn't an interview though; they're obviously the classier episodes but easily my least favourite and can be pretty dry. Back Page is at its best when the potential for horseshit is high, imo. 

Haven’t listened to any episodes since the one with the guy who did Karaoke with Kojima (Tim Ford?), but listened to the most recent Games Court one today and burst out laughing a good few times. “Nuclear Ghandi” had me going for a good while. :lol:

13 hours ago, samuelwroberts said:

The least popular option in the poll by far, so it'll likely be just the two of us if and when we do it 😂

I love the interview eps but for a live show yeah, it needs to be wall to wall bullshit. 

I assume J.C’s Kitchen do events too? God there’d be so much explaining to do. That phone call itself could be a XXL tier podcast. 

Yea, this was a reliably enjoyable episode. Anyone with an interest in Edge and the industry in general will enjoy this peek behind the curtain. Well done @samuelwroberts on putting together such a great episode. 

It’s also highly edifying to see my two favourite industry content creators cross over in this way, like a comic book crossover where the Avengers meet Blorko. 

I'm really enjoying the latest episode, and was very pleasantly surprised at the Press Start mention. :D

I had a great time writing for that, and am still enormously grateful to Chris Schilling for giving me the chance.

That was a really good podcast, the 2 hours flew by. And a nice wink at the forum for us taking the piss out of Edge’s Destiny obsession under Nate’s stewardship.

Great work all round.

I love the guest episodes. I realise it’s probably because they all worked together, but Sam and Matthew’s conversation style extends to them all so well that pretty much all of them could come back in the games court, best of *year* or the draft episode formats and it would work great I think.

• 2 weeks later...

I really enjoyed the recent Patreon episode on the hosts' thriller film recommendations. Lots of titles I hadn't even heard of.

I made a Letterboxd list for anyone who's interested:

The Back Page Pod: 20 Thriller Movies We'd Recommend To Anyone https://boxd.it/i6M1m

I didn't know if I should post this initially, as the episode is behind the pay wall, but its been put up on Twitter now, so I'm guessing Samuel and Matthew don't mind.

I enjoyed Friday's episode as well. Samuel's disdain for some of the bullshit listener questions is pretty funny.

Been getting into this over the last few weeks. Really enjoyable. Hosts are simply entertaining enough that it doesn't really matter what they talk about or how wrong I think their opinions are.

Sort of working backwards through it at the moment. Cherry picking topics of interest and the filling inbetween when I feel I've skipped too many. So not had too much of the dedicated publishing related content yet but what there has been as been fantastic. Lovely insights.

Opinion has dropped sharply when I found out neither of them had ever owned a Dreamcast. These are not the people I thought they were.

And as per all games writing, podcasts and videos I actually find them talking about anything I know a bit about to be worse than the things I don't. The misremembered things, the misunderstood or poorly explained mechanics, the down right inaccuracies. But that's more me than them I think.

It wins as good listening simply for being two lovely English blokes talking about games and having fun doing so.

On 09/09/2022 at 10:11, thesnwmn said:

Been getting into this over the last few weeks. Really enjoyable. Hosts are simply entertaining enough that it doesn't really matter what they talk about or how wrong I think their opinions are.

Sort of working backwards through it at the moment. Cherry picking topics of interest and the filling inbetween when I feel I've skipped too many. So not had too much of the dedicated publishing related content yet but what there has been as been fantastic. Lovely insights.

Opinion has dropped sharply when I found out neither of them had ever owned a Dreamcast. These are not the people I thought they were.

And as per all games writing, podcasts and videos I actually find them talking about anything I know a bit about to be worse than the things I don't. The misremembered things, the misunderstood or poorly explained mechanics, the down right inaccuracies. But that's more me than them I think.

It wins as good listening simply for being two lovely English blokes talking about games and having fun doing so.

We only really made a Dreamcast episode because people asked for it. We normally avoid subjects where one of us doesn't know the subject at least a little – I can't imagine we'll do another Sega episode anytime soon. 

"The misremembered things, the misunderstood or poorly explained mechanics, the down right inaccuracies." Adding this to our accolades 😂

2 minutes ago, samuelwroberts said:

We only really made a Dreamcast episode because people asked for it. We normally avoid subjects where one of us doesn't know the subject at least a little – I can't imagine we'll do another Sega episode anytime soon. 

"The misremembered things, the misunderstood or poorly explained mechanics, the down right inaccuracies." Adding this to our accolades 😂

It was a good listen though. As per all the content. And it's that that matter most.

As for that accolade I know I'd be exactly the same!

On 09/09/2022 at 10:11, thesnwmn said:

Agree with this. I had to unsubscribe from pretty much all my other gaming podcasts because the hosts always had this air of "my opinion is right, this game is stupid and if you like it you're wrong". Mostly from Americans.