The Back Page Podcast - Big Patreon Energy is go.

Sarlaccfood

13 minutes ago, krenzler said:

Do these unlocked tiers integrate into your podcast app of choice (I use Apple podcast app) or do you have to listen in a browser for the URL to work?

Works as normal. I now have an XL feed in my podcast app that has everything. 

Also a day-1 patron - The Back Page and TCGS give me enough gaming nerd material to last through my daily run.

Radio 1 - TCGS (when David is present)

Radio 2 - TCGS (when Sean is hosting)

Radio 5 Live - TCGS (when Mat is hosting)

Radio 4 - Cane and Rinse

Radio 6 Music - The Back Page

All three Max Payne games are on sale on the Xbox store if anyone's interested. Massive gaming blindspot for me, so I think I'll pick up the first. 

Testament to the quality of The Back Page that I still enjoyed the latest episode without having any real frame of reference. 

On 22/04/2022 at 21:19, Gambit said:

Some top tier sandwich talk on today's episode. I feel like we're not far away from a Ranking of Sandwiches episode and I'm here for it.

They're saving that for the XXXL tier. Which will also coincidentally be the waist size of the podcasters after they've eaten all those sandwiches.

16 hours ago, Jolly said:

All three Max Payne games are on sale on the Xbox store if anyone's interested. Massive gaming blindspot for me, so I think I'll pick up the first. 

Testament to the quality of The Back Page that I still enjoyed the latest episode without having any real frame of reference. 

I did the same and bought Max Payne 1 this evening after listing to the episode.

On top of Dragon’s Dogma on the Switch and that Japanese fiction book, this podcast is costing me a lot of money at the moment!

21 hours ago, Jolly said:

OT, but how do 1 and 2 play on the controller? I played them through on PC back in the day and I’m deeply sceptical about how good they can really be in the pad. 

I enjoyed today's XXL podcast about different Japanese crime fiction. I had some Audible credit left over so have picked up Bullet Train and Devotion of Suspect X. I'm not sure if they'll work as well in an audio format, but we'll see.

6 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I enjoyed today's XXL podcast about different Japanese crime fiction. I had some Audible credit left over so have picked up Bullet Train and Devotion of Suspect X. I'm not sure if they'll work as well in an audio format, but we'll see.

I bought the two from Amazon in book form. Crooked house and Zodiac murders. It sounds like interesting stuff. 

For any new listeners who want some pure entertainment check out the Games Court episodes where they hold a trial for Sams bad eBay purchases with Judge Matthew and a host of fantasy gaming guests in the courtroom. 

What I love about it the chemistry and the variety on offer which, with the Patreon only looks set to get better. Maybe assume you won’t love everything (I’ve not loved all the interviews episodes for example) but there’s enough quality material there to have a fantastic time. I like that they inject the ‘what we’ve been playing’ episodes in now as well. 

Haha, I've also just put 'Murder in the Crooked 'House on my wishlist.

'Death Among The Undead' also sounds completely brilliant. May go for that too depending on how I get on. 

Someone at a publishing house is looking very confused at their monitor as western sales of Honkaku sky rocket. 

On 25/04/2022 at 20:39, Yiggy said:

What I love about it the chemistry and the variety on offer which, with the Patreon only looks set to get better. 

What I love is that they really respect each others views - it’s such a refreshing change to the “banter” and squabbles of other gaming podcasts. If one of them says something is great - the other reconsiders their position. 

Joyful stuff. 

41 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

What I love is that they really respect each others views - it’s such a refreshing change to the “banter” and squabbles of other gaming podcasts.

Yeah, this is exactly why I love The Back Page. I don't really want to single out other podcasts but a few of them have this constant, mildly aggressive banter that I find unpleasant after a while. 

On 24/04/2022 at 22:12, Jolly said:

They’re great at this. I have no real interest in retro gaming mags, or any of the Max Payne games, but I love hearing their stories and their opinions.

One thing I’d really like is an accompanying blog, particularly the list episodes. I noticed the Indie Games episode had a Tweet with a list of the games, but it’s quite difficult to keep track of. Doesn’t need to be long, just a small post on the Patreon page would work. Might give non-subscribers another reason to check it out too!

It would also be good if they repeated the game title at the end of each segment, as I’d usually forget if it was something I’d never heard of before. Kind of essential when you’re working with an audio-only format.

As someone that's made it this far with a Twitter account, I'd also appreciate a simple blog of some kind. Not even The Back Page is going to get me wading into that cesspit.

Edit: I see Graham S has us covered. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’m listening now, to the section about Jen’s Playdate cover. The idea of Jen trying to convince Nathan over the phone about the idea, struggling a bit, and deciding that a freehand sketch* of the unit, from memory, on an iPhone screen with her finger was the way to do it, has me doubled over with mirth. Thank goodness it worked!

* Samuel has posted the sketch to the Patreon page, and let’s just say the cover art they eventually used captures the essence of the Playdate slightly better. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my, the last two guests on the pod have been great. I’m half way through todays with Tim Clark, he has so many amazing (and laugh out loud funny) stories, in particular the Kojima karaoke tale!

The anecdote about him and Dan Dawkins at the infamous PS3 ‘giant enemy crab’ E3 event had me literally lolling into a cabbage. 

I really love these kinds of episodes. 

• 2 weeks later...