The Back Page Podcast - Big Patreon Energy is go.

Sarlaccfood

Started listening to the Boss Battles pod on the dog walk tonight and it's great stuff so far. Feels a bit weird not listening to them on a Friday / weekend though. My brain closely associates Bath sandwich shops and giant men with not having to go to work. 

Once signed up, how do the extra podcasts appear on your generic fruit-based device (other devices are available)? 

I assume they’re not embedded in a web page and to keep listening you have to have your phone unlocked for the duration, or something equally silly?

I’m very keen to read the ‘best 7/10 games’ XL podcast, for that big 7/10 energy. Had hoped they’d go in at £3 for the sub mind you, £4.50 plus VAT on top is a bit of an oof. 

12 minutes ago, Popo said:

I assume they’re not embedded in a web page and to keep listening you have to have your phone unlocked for the duration, or something equally silly?

Three Beans Salad works by giving you your own personal feed to paste into your podcast app, then it shows up like any other.

28 minutes ago, James Lyon said:

How does Patreon work? Do you get access to old podcasts and stuff if you miss them at the time?

Yes, the Patreon page provides you with a link to a subscriber only feed which will have all the podcasts to date. 

All the old episodes are still available on the regular unpaid feed (and there's plenty of gold in there for new listeners). Because each episode is themed (N64 draft, Best Games of 2007, etc) they'll have a long shelf life, as opposed to "What have you been playing, February 2021 edition", which on some podcasts can seem a bit stale if you didn't listen on release. The patreon exclusive RSS feed is the exclusive episodes alone for now. *edit* but I've seen a message that they may put everything all in one feed.

10 minutes ago, Graham S said:

All the old episodes are still available on the regular unpaid feed (and there's plenty of gold in there for new listeners). Because each episode is themed (N64 draft, Best Games of 2007, etc) they'll have a long shelf life, as opposed to "What have you been playing, February 2021 edition", which on some podcasts can seem a bit stale if you didn't listen on release. The patreon exclusive RSS feed is the exclusive episodes alone for now.

They mentioned on the last show that the plan is for the subscriber feed to include all new regular episodes as well going forwards (so that you can just use one feed for everything), but the back catalogue of episodes from before the Patreon started won't be backfilled.

So anyone here who subscribes to the Patreon and wants to listen to any episodes released pre-8 April 2022 will still have to download them from the non-subscriber feed using their podcast app of choice. From 8 April, everything released will (should!) be available on the Patreon feed for subscribers. Non-subscribers should (obvs) still use the old feed for their weekly dose of Back Page.

You're right on the money about the evergreen nature of this podcast compared to others! It's a great format for that reason. New listeners have such a treasure trove to go through, I'm kinda jealous.

I'm always in the market for more podcasts to listen to while I work, so I'll give this a listen.  I am a bit confused as to how there can be a podcast called The Back Page and it not be about sport, but whatever.

It's a reference to the irreverent features you used to get on the back page of gaming magazines. The podcast had quite a magazine focused slant in the first few months, but it's veered away from that more recently. 

11 minutes ago, Jolly said:

It's a reference to the irreverent features you used to get on the back page of gaming magazines. The podcast had quite a magazine focused slant in the first few months, but it's veered away from that more recently. 

After a violent but let’s be honest fully justified attack from a popular UK gaming forum. 

This is by far the best gaming podcast in years. Very happily signing up to the £1 level. 

Wavering on the £4.50 level....

Hang on the, £4.50 tier, comes out at $7.80, which is £6. I assume they didn't inc VAT.

On 08/04/2022 at 11:52, HarryBizzle said:

I need to give this a listen. I’ve gone from enjoying 3-4 gaming podcasts a week to none.

I was a bit like that earlier in the pandemic. The podcasts I was listening to were all American and they suddenly sounded so hollow without E3 etc. to keep the perpetual hype machine going.

Backpage seems so considered and relaxed in comparison and isn’t obsessed with the new and what is coming. Growing up in the U.K, I have a much bigger shared pool of reference with them when they take a look backwards, whereas when U.S podcasts do the same it’s all Dragonball this and Twisted Metal that, which leaves me a bit cold. 

My gaming podcasts are just TCGS and Backpage nowadays.

If TCGS is mates at the bar talking about the news, ribbing each other and keeping half an eye on the football, Backpage is the quiet one-on-one catchup pint at the back, waiting for the carvery.  

Caine and Rinse is that nerd you get introduced to at the pub because you're also a nerd and they're a friend of a friend. And before you know it they've been talking about Chrono Cross at you for an hour and you're bored off your tits.

I'm still making my way through the earlier podcasts (only started listening at the Elden Ring one, then immediately went back to the first), so it's good to know that in a few years time when I've caught up they'll be there. Great stuff.