IGNORED

Slow Horses - Gary Oldman Spy Show

Harsin

spacer.png

New show on Apple TV+, first two episodes available now. Based on a series of novels, basic premise is that a hotshot young spy fucks up majorly and gets relegated to Slough House. A place where the intelligence service sends their washouts and has-beens, which is run by Gary Oldman.

I've only watched the first of the two episodes but it seems li’e it could be quite decent.

I watched the first two after having it constantly come up on social media.

It's OK, nothing we've kind of not already seen before, and I don't imagine it will turn into anything of merit.

The Mick Jagger song at the beginning is quite annoying.

I'll be honest I have no idea why they've cast Gary Oldman his character could be played by anyone else, it must have been to pull people into the show.

I'll wait for a few more to come out, then use it as something to pass the time with Severance ending this week. 

• 4 weeks later...

We finished this last night and I thought it was great fun. Gary Oldman has a great time and is easily the best thing about it, but I could see myself watching several more series of this lot bumbling through their investigations. 

Alright the plot is fairly standard stuff but the Lamb character definitely beings a nice twist with just how vile he is to everybody. As I said in the Apple thread, a great blend of drama, tension and dark humour. 

This was pretty good. Oldman was fun throughout, the dialogue was crisp, but I thought there were a few too many daft plot contrivances across eps 5&6 for comfort. I’ll certainly watch S2, though.

Just finished this. Loved it to be fair. Agree that there were a couple of things in the last couple of episodes and some of the longer term plot developments weren’t a surprise. 

However, I really liked every character in this. I think it could have stretched to another episode perhaps as things came together very quickly. Better to be too short than too long though. 

Finished it last night too and really enjoyed it - nice and brisk with no padding and Gary Oldman and Kristin Scott-Thomas were excellent.

The guy playing River has to be related to Simon Pegg, he could easily play 'young Pegg' in any shows that needed it.

Easy to pick at plot contrivances but it felt a show more about the characters and world it's building than the specific storyline, which was OK.

The trailer for season 2 shown at the end of the ep looked so bright and vivid compared to the mainly night setting for the first. 

I started watching this yesterday, and somehow ended up watching the whole thing in one go. It was very watchable, with a great mix of drama and more light hearted moments. 

I felt the actual concept was a bit odd though. Why wouldn't these characters simply be fired if they're supposed to be so bad at their jobs? It worked though, so whatever.

On 09/05/2022 at 10:10, Mogster said:

I felt the actual concept was a bit odd though. Why wouldn't these characters simply be fired if they're supposed to be so bad at their jobs?

Well they are spies so I guess they know a lot of secrets, where the bodies are buried if you like and still useful in some respects but it’s a good point. Gary Oldman was fantastic in this, I can’t wait for the next series which seemingly has been filmed already. I loved the le carre tropes, they really played with the genre whilst doing it a great service. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I’m 2 episodes in and this is excellent. It’s structured and filmed like a standard BBC spy drama, but with significantly better writing and plotting.

Gary Oldman is amazing, and a little bit of Jonathan Pryce goes a long way. Very exciting and intriguing.