IGNORED

Racing Games - All time favourites

MattyP

I can't really pick a stand out driving or racing game. At the moment GT7, Assetto Corsa and Automobilista 2 are my go too's.

AC has replaced Rfactor as the sim i can play modded tracks and cars from history which i really like doing but ABL2 feels like thing else out there. Best FFB and by extention intensity by a mile (unless Rf2 has improved...i've not checked). GT7 is nice but FFB isn't great and you know...MTXs or whatever the kids call em.

Historically I enjoyed all of the good ones as i tend to adapt myself to enjoy racing games rather then play one and make a decision.

A few standouts i loved that arn't listed were Powerdrome on the Amiga, Slipsteam 5000 (PC), Screamer (PC), Shox (PS1), Total Drivin' (Ps1), C3 racing (ps1) and NFS Porsche. Oh and all the Synetic shit too. I adored Mercedes-Benz World Racing. Even now it feels quite different. It was like TDU before TDU. And the crashtimes series. 

I loved Pure and FUEL too. I'm trying to get Pure working again but struggling at the moment.

I won't comment on Davilex. 

I'll start with my most recent, newest, obsession:

Initial D

The last couple of weeks I've been obsessed with this. I'm playing Street Stage as ver. 3 appears to be the most popular choice and it's a PSP port of that. Just love it and I'm not actually very good or quite understanding of the weird speed up mechanics.

Amiga/C64:

Stunt Car Racer

Geoff Crammond Grand Prix

BMX Racer

Skidmarks

Gran Turismo series:

We imported the first one and received the parcel at about 5pm on a Saturday. No sleep, no nothing but Gran Turismo for 48 hours. What a time.

Codemasters:

Colin McRae series

TOCA series

Dirt Rally PSVR

Moto GP Live on Xbox:

Didn't move for 8 hours - first Xbox Live disc free with the beta. Probably playing some of you guys. THE internet gaming moment for me.

Wipeout Series:

All of 'em - but Wip3out Special Edition and Omega pip the rest.

Nintendo:

Wave Race 64

Wave Race Bluestorm: 

Great technical racer. Always surprised it's not universally adored like its predecessor.

F Zero GX:

Absolute perfection and stonking unlocks with AX tracks and racers.

Sega:

Outrun

Virtua Racing

Daytona

Sega Rally/2/Revo

Outrun 2/Coast to Coast: The greatest arcade racer ever made. Ditch the Ferrari license and release it on every platform now and in the future. Ferraris are a major part, but if it's the major issue - look-a-likes will do.

2 hours ago, Dimahoo said:

I adored Mercedes-Benz World Racing. Even now it feels quite different. It was like TDU before TDU. And the crashtimes series. 

I was thinking of posting about this earlier, but figured nobody would know what the hell I was talking about!

It's my all-time favourite racing game by far. Those areas you got to race in were massive, especially considering the hardware back then. I loved how the difficulty slider went from 0-100% in 1% steps so you could get the A.I perfectly tuned to your ability. I also remember how the A.I was genuinely clever. You could park just around a blind corner and watch the a.i scramble to get around you rather than them all pile up single file behind you. 

When I heard that OG Xbox games were going to be backward compatible on the Xbox One I bought the disc again for this game thinking all games would work, but sadly not to be. It's the sole reason I have hung onto my CRT TV. I have read that it just might work on an RGH'd 360 but not seen anything concrete one way or the other. 

I was already pushing twenty before I got the gaming bug, a bug that ever since then has me spending crazy amounts of money and which overtook music as my main kick. The game that kicked that off was Virtua Racing arcade. Big twin sit down sucker, had a crazy free play session for several hours with a bunch of mates one early morning in 92. Hooked.

Edge got me hyped for some incoming at home action.

So for me, Virtua Racing was the king, until Ridge Racer on my shiny new and totally adulated PS1.

Lots of games have come and gone since then but I still go back to those arcade greats for my kicks, Switch and Duckstation on my phone (Jesus, does Ridge look and play incredible on that emulator).

I love all the Forzas and the Gran Turismos but the closest I've gotten to those early adrenaline rushes has to be Driveclub. When that fucker clicked it was teenage kicks. Loved it, still do. Thunder and lightening and edge of your seat arcade thrills.

So for me the ultimate driving game, even above those first loves, and because of them, is Driveclub. Mercedes AMG GT3 in the thunder and rain, oh boy. A trip and a rush.

Honourable mention to the Motorstorm gang.

So for me the ultimate driving game, even above those first loves, and because of them, is Driveclub. Mercedes AMG GT3 in the thunder and rain, oh boy. A trip and a rush.

Honourable mention to the Motorstorm gang.

image.gif.8c6cdfcb0c8ff1213bc5141b1724dca1.gif

Anyone play Namco's "Winning Run" back in the late 80s arcades?

This was incredible. Definitely my first experience with anything that could be called sim racing. Full motion cabinet and flat shaded polygons. Absolutely gorgeous to look at and play. Me and a couple of mates would walk into town every weekend to visit the local arcade and take turns on it

Apparently it has been quite hard to emulate the hardware, so the videos don't quite do it justice, but still ..

image.thumb.png.3fbd01ca3fa1ce50e6d73ce52058e196.png

For the late 80s, when I was playing C64 games at home, this was mindblowing

5 hours ago, Kramer said:

Wave Race Bluestorm: 

Great technical racer. Always surprised it's not universally adored like its predecessor.

Really? Never played it at the time but recently tried and it's just so stiff and twitchy and doesn't have the organic bouncy feel of 64. Thought it was shit really.

Wave race 64 holds up incredibly though, pushing through the waves, weaving left and right, getting the bounces just right. 🥰

1 hour ago, SeanR said:

image.gif.8c6cdfcb0c8ff1213bc5141b1724dca1.gif

You don't think I know there's a a bunch of guys connected to both? Been here for nearly 20 years, read many posts from Rushy and done my homework. Gang was toward the series not the people who created it, like, love 1 through 3 in the series, the gang.

I came to games late but I boned up on those cats who made the games I loved.

Serious business.

4 hours ago, amc said:

You don't think I know there's a a bunch of guys connected to both? Been here for nearly 20 years, read many posts from Rushy and done my homework. Gang was toward the series not the people who created it, like, love 1 through 3 in the series, the gang.

Serious business.

Just ignore him like everyone else does.

I am so happy to hear someone else share the Driveclub adoration, not only is it my overall favourite racing game it is in the runnings for my favourite game of all time. Even loved the Bikes expansion, got platinum trophy in both and 100%'d every single bit of DLC. It's the only game I ever bought a season pass for. Such a shame the launch went the way it did, imagine if the finished product (patch wise) came out as a PS4 launch game - Driveclub would be be so well regarded instead of almost forgotten like it has been. I bet it still looks better than most racing games now, admittedly the right conditions are required for that but for a game with no Pro patch it still looked stunning when I 100%'d the entire thing again in 2019. So good.

The first Colin McRae Rally is my favourite racing game of all time. Think it still holds up. The handling is great; the structure and the balance of everything is spot on. Lots of the later games on the series are great too but I don't think they ever topped this. Nor did they ever make one like it again, the sequels riffed off CMR 2.0 instead. The first game has a better sense of place, each track and car feels unique. Still have my original copy and play it from time to time. This game also sings on vita emulation.

Have played literally thousands of racers over the years has always been one of my fave genres. A lot of my absolute faves are from the PS1 gen: Wipeout 2097, Ridge Racer Type 4, TOCA 2.

Think PGR2 was the best of the Microsoft exclusive racers. GT3 the best Gran Turismo. Last gen was Driveclub.

10 hours ago, amc said:

Serious business.

yeah, sorry, your preference for “gang” over “series” threw me.

what about motorstorm RC? I could never get my head around the controls, despite the abundance of options.

I would mention the rllmuk driveclub online racing but I was usually at the back, taking every corner sideways, because it struck the perfect balance of sim racing, and arcade handling. The feedback was amazing, and all at 30fps too.

does driveclub vr need a separate mention, because despite the slight downgrade in visuals, it’s the same game, but now you’re in the car. 

also, three of my favourite games had bikes added in their lifetimes:

PGR4

TDU

DriveClub

but they didn’t do anything for me.

Yeah, my fault. A bottle of Rioja and a couple of scotch and I think I'm back in the disco talking jive with my buddies.

Love MS RC, in fact, I think Rushy took direct inspiration from me to meld MS with RC. 

I'm joking btw, well..., he did reply soon after. Lololol.

But yeah, love it but not in the same way as I do into the screen racing games. Love RC de Go, too.

11 hours ago, Jackson said:

Really? Never played it at the time but recently tried and it's just so stiff and twitchy and doesn't have the organic bouncy feel of 64. Thought it was shit really.

Wave race 64 holds up incredibly though, pushing through the waves, weaving left and right, getting the bounces just right. 🥰

Blue Storm was indeed garbage compared to Wave Race 64, that’s why no-one ever mentions it.

Not enough Ridge love in this topic for me......

My favourites through the years? And I'm sure nostalgia plays a part in this too.

Super Mario Kart, SNES, played this to death at Uni as someone else has said, MK64 was a massive letdown for me, and although I like MK8, nothing has come close to the original in terms of hours played

Wave Race 64 and F-Zero X. Both just incredible games, shaving tenths of seconds off time trials in F Zero and ringing my mate to report beating his times was brilliant. And Wave Race had such good water physics for the time, needs to be on the Switch Online service.

Ridge Racers 2, PSP. Probably my favourite of all time, and still gets played on my Vita regularly. Basically a RR greatest hits it got slammed at the time by basically being an expansion pack for the original PSP Ridge, but ignore that and just enjoy the best of RR in an amazing protable package.

NFS : Hot Pursuit. The games that came after this in the NFS franchise were just a step down from this. You can keep your open world, edgy characters and other nonsense, Hot Pursuit is Cops & Robbers, defined selectable races, shortcuts all over the place and just a joy to play.

Sega Rally Aracde.  Loved playing this in the local bar with my mates, just so much fun times with this game.

I basically like my racing games to be arcade style, the realistic sims do nothing for me, and I've missed those style of games as they have gone out of fashion, though Hot Wheels Unleashed is return to that style of play, and we are having fun with that.

Cars:

Maybe it's Shotokou Battle/ TXR. It's the one i pine for when playing modern racers. Often dismissed as a simple arcade racer for JDM fans, i found that modifying your car with any of the many mods available would always have a slight or distinct affect on the handling and not just shave 0.02 off your time (hello GT). Nothing like power sliding a modded Viper GTS with 180 mph onto the Wangan :wub:

Boats:

Rapid Racer on psx

Everything else:

WipEout

1 hour ago, ZOK said:

Blue Storm was indeed garbage compared to Wave Race 64, that’s why no-one ever mentions it.

Hmmm...

The original is a classic arcade racer and anyone can play it. Blue storm is different, much harder - but when it clicks, riding the waves and the fine control you have and need are spot on.

Wave Race 64 - my all time favourite racer.

Burnout Legends.  Apparently Revenge is better, but this on PSP was my introduction to Burnout, and I love it.

Wipeout 2006.  An incredible update of a classic.

RC Pro Am.  Has aged amazingly well.

Ridge Racers PSP.  Jaw-dropping.  Made the DS seem like a disappointment.  Still brilliant.

Wreckfest.  Pure fun.

Forza Motorsport 4.  Much as I love Prague, Rio and Dubai, this one has the best tracks.

Metropolis Street Racer.  This introduced so many things that are now common place, and was such fun to play.

Mario Kart 8 DX.

Forza Horizon 2.  Might not look as nice as its sequels, but it's the best in the series for me for concentrating mostly on racing.  Plus, it's my favourite location of all of them.

Honourable mentions: Sega Rally, Manx TT, Wipeout 2097, Ridge Racer 4, Project Gotham 4, Racing Gears Advance.

Up yours award - Driveclub, which I will always think is a shitstain.

Never played Rallisport Challenge.

Wave Race 64's intro alone is better than the entirety of Blue Storm. That it has a 10/10 all time great racer following it is just EAD showing off.

Also:

8-)

14 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Twaddle. Your point was that it's garbage.

Compared to Wave Race 64. Which it is, and that’s why nobody cared enough about it for the thread you linked to to even limp past one page.

6 minutes ago, Quest said:

Wave Race 64's intro alone is better than the entirety of Blue Storm. That it has a 10/10 all time great racer following it is just EAD showing off.

Also:

8-)

I agree.  Blue Storm has poor controls, boring track design, a commentator who sounds as bored as a sulky teenager and unbelievably bland graphics.

When I picked up my launch-day GameCube, Blue Storm was the game I got with it, having put hundreds of hours into Wave Race 64.  I traded it in less than a day later.  I've since bought it back for about a hundred yen, but it's still crap.

Probably worth a shout for Blur and Split/Second, both which came in the 360 era as dev houses searched for a twist to the traditional arcade racer format. Blur I adored and I think a reboot could get traction (lel) today. A game where the fight for 16th could be as thrilling as the fight for first. Blur was brilliant. 

Split/Second is a weird one. I played so much Split/Second I climbed the ranked leaderboards to like 50th in the world or something. On the surface the game was quite slight, but if you played it to death it became chess-like in terms of baiting opponents with the environmental triggers. I still remember individual races online on Split/Second 10+ years later, because they were so exciting. Was it good? Yes? Maybe?

Also, shout out to Driver (the most recent one) as the only driving game to feature a second person driving section (neither first nor third). 

Best racing game of all time though? That's tough, it's one of Stunt Car Racer, Trackmania, Daytona, GT3, Burnout 4 (yes I said four), Mario Kart SNES or Outrun 2. Maybe. 

1 hour ago, cavalcade said:

Probably worth a shout for Blur and Split/Second, both which came in the 360 era as dev houses searched for a twist to the traditional arcade racer format. Blur I adored and I think a reboot could get traction (lel) today. A game where the fight for 16th could be as thrilling as the fight for first. Blur was brilliant. 

Split/Second is a weird one. I played so much Split/Second I climbed the ranked leaderboards to like 50th in the world or something. On the surface the game was quite slight, but if you played it to death it became chess-like in terms of baiting opponents with the environmental triggers. I still remember individual races online on Split/Second 10+ years later, because they were so exciting. Was it good? Yes? Maybe?

Also, shout out to Driver (the most recent one) as the only driving game to feature a second person driving section (neither first nor third). 

Best racing game of all time though? That's tough, it's one of Stunt Car Racer, Trackmania, Daytona, GT3, Burnout 4 (yes I said four), Mario Kart SNES or Outrun 2. Maybe. 

Think blur was ahead of it's time in terms of a game inspired by social media type things and a different take on the Mario Kart theme. I think it would work really well today. 60fps and a perhaps more cars on track for additional mayhem! 

PGR 3 - Start of that generation of consoles got of to a cracker with this one! Played loads of online with a good bunch of mates

PGR 4 - Weather!! WEATHER!!!

Blur - Starting to sense a theme here, "bizarrely"... 😏 Like real-car Mario Kart. Brilliant!!

Ridge Racer 7 - More start-of-the-gen goodness. Smoooooooth.

Ridge Racers 2 - The ultimate compilation

Pure - ATV, stunty goodness

WaveRace 64 / Blue Storm - Both exceptional

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - The ultimate MK

There's probably more but these jumped out 

I've only skim read the thread really just now, will read all the detail tomorrow, but is there no love for Motorhead (I think it was called) on PS1? Probably died a death cos it was released same week as the first Gran Turismo if I'm remembering right.

Also Rollcage was quite the thrill too back in those times.

But yeah, all the usual suspects for me too, the GTs on PS, Sega Rally, MSR followed by the PGRs, RR4 etc. I was obsessed with playing the Xbox TOCAS online too, my first experience of racing online, I managed to make it up to Legendary or Elite level or whatever the top online rank was purely by racing the Chevrolet Lacettis around the first and easiest (and most fun) track on that game. It saw me through a 3 month lay low from work due to the winning combination of a cracked knee cap after falling down the stairs the day after I was discharged from a 6 week lay off after a hip replacement. Ah the memories!

Split Second is one I still play occasionally too.