Edge 370

Qazimod

LittleBigPlanet was pretty much life changing for me, and allowed me to realize dreams I had since I was a little boy imagining games I would make on a ZX Spectrum. Absolutely a 10.

42 minutes ago, Darwock said:

LittleBigPlanet was pretty much life changing for me, and allowed me to realize dreams I had since I was a little boy imagining games I would make on a ZX Spectrum. Absolutely a 10.

I was a huge Xbox fan from the first announcement through the 360 (never had a PlayStation beforehand) but the brand going to shit around the time of Kinect and their other terrible changes coinciding with LBP and the then new Slim console made me change to PlayStation with zero regrets. I loved the game, sucks that the sequels (which were decent enough) never had the same effect on me, partly down to their lack of charm compared to the first.

8 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

I loved it but it’s an 8 or 9 for me.

I liked it a lot. A lot of the criticism of it is for things it isn't - no overworld, no traditional control option. But it's very focused on puzzling and the puzzles are very, very good. Timestones are an idea that you could build a game around.

Motion controls are marmite and a section of people hate it so much it obliterates everything else. But I enjoyed them a lot and it gave the game both a tactile feel and slowed the pace of combat down a bit so it had a bit more of a Souls feel. It's undoubtedly the best implementation on the Wii bar Sports Resort.

So I can see it. It's all the experiments the Wii tried in a traditional game done well. I hope at some point in the future motion controls get revisited, better, so it's a pioneer and not an evolutionary dead end.

The problem is Breath of the Wild is so much better even accounting for all that. And I was sceptical of Open World Zelda as potentially not being Zelda.

I think LBP fits all the criteria for a 10, even with the physics based jumping, it was such an excellently positive thing to experience just playing the main campaign. All those themed stages, outfits, music by The Go! Team..it was something really special for me at the time (I wasn't interested in the content creation side of things).

10 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

So according to rllmuk all the 10/10s are brilliant when they're young and have nostalgia for them, but all the 10/10s when they're old and reactionary are all crap (point of inversion ~<2005).

You'd think you guys would pick up on the pattern after the 20th person posting the same thing, I don't think the quality of the games is the thing changing here.

Dude thinks he's so smart but comes across so silly. 

8 hours ago, Darwock said:

Hey, I didn't realize you wrote for edge too! Have you done any other reviews besides LBP, out of interest? :)

The idea that a platformer that fundamentally fails at the core thing it sets out to do can get a 10 is pure madness.

But Edge always had a very weird hard-on for media molecule.

Minecraft is the biggest 10 they missed I think, and does the whole thing media molecule were attempting a million times better.

It wasn't just Edge. LBP was probably the biggest disconnect between the gaming media and the public I've seen. Loads of outlets were breatlessly eulogising it and writing gushing articles about how it was going to change the face of gaming FOREVER while the general public were largely partridgeshrug.jpg about it.

6 minutes ago, Harsin said:

It wasn't just Edge. LBP was probably the biggest disconnect between the gaming media and the public I've seen. Loads of outlets were breatlessly eulogising it and writing gushing articles about how it was going to change the face of gaming FOREVER while the general public were largely partridgeshrug.jpg about it.

And that was ALL down to the controls.

2 hours ago, merrychan said:

I think LBP fits all the criteria for a 10, even with the physics based jumping, it was such an excellently positive thing to experience just playing the main campaign. All those themed stages, outfits, music by The Go! Team..it was something really special for me at the time (I wasn't interested in the content creation side of things).

It’s like Empire giving Zack Snyder films 5 stars because they look lovely. ‘Even with the script-based issues…’

EDIT: Sorry to bang on about this so much, I just don’t get it. I was so excited for that game! Probably my biggest gaming disappointment ever.

8 hours ago, kensei said:

So I can see it. It's all the experiments the Wii tried in a traditional game done well. I hope at some point in the future motion controls get revisited, better, so it's a pioneer and not an evolutionary dead end.

Yes. And from Matthew Castle's perspective writing the review (everyone should listen to the Back Page podcast, it's really very good) he'd just spent years of his career on Nintendo magazines playing every attempt at motion controls from Red Steel onwards. And here comes a game that's not only a Zelda game, but nails all those motion control experiments, all in a single package. You can see how a game like that might really land for you, even if it clearly didn't have the same effect on some of the rest of us.

15 minutes ago, Graham S said:

but nails all those motion control experiments

But it absolutely didn’t. The motion controls were the biggest barrier to enjoying the game for me, as they just didn’t work with the accuracy of a standard pad.

2 minutes ago, JPL said:

But it absolutely didn’t. The motion controls were the biggest barrier to enjoying the game for me, as they just didn’t work with the accuracy of a standard pad.

Have it out with the Matthew Castle of 11 years ago, not me. I disliked the game, felt like it was leading me through it and as a player I was surplus to requirements. I just thought it was interesting context. 

Just because LBP isn't Mario, doesn't make it bad. The character action isn't flawed in any way for me, it's just different and loose and servers the playful tone of the game. 

Make the same game with Mario's character action at it's core and you get Mario Maker which is a whole different thing, and rather unsurprisingly, pretty hardcore. 

2 hours ago, Eighthours said:

It’s like Empire giving Zack Snyder films 5 stars because they look lovely. ‘Even with the script-based issues…’

EDIT: Sorry to bang on about this so much, I just don’t get it. I was so excited for that game! Probably my biggest gaming disappointment ever.

I understand where you're coming from, but at the time for me it was a game crammed with so much joy and (what I thought) brilliance that I really really enjoyed it.

In hindsight it obviously doesn't stand the test of time with all the other 10s we love like Super Mario World, Galaxy etc, ironically it hit one year later than Galaxy so all the other AAA grim games that were out inbetween must have got me seriously down :D

3 hours ago, Isaac said:

The idea that a platformer that fundamentally fails at the core thing it sets out to do can get a 10 is pure madness.

But Edge always had a very weird hard-on for media molecule.

In LBP's case, the core thing is tries to do is be a game creation tool. And it is/was a really good one of those. I played around with the Vita version quite a bit and the variety of ideas I was able to implement with quite basic knowledge was impressive. The feel of the platforming was never an obstacle to that, or enjoying other people's creations.

I know Dreams is a whole level above that too, and it's only lack of time that stops me taking more of an interest. It has a keen community though, who are constantly creating interesting stuff. Complex game creation tools are always going to be a bit niche, I think, because few have the time to invest in them, but for those who do, I've no doubt LBP and Dreams are excellent examples.

On 23/03/2022 at 16:33, Kevvy Metal said:

As great as Bayonetta is (and I'd give it a 10)... it's ain't no DMC3!

You're right...

... it's far better. 8-)

(A more mobile camera, access to all combat styles at all times instead of only being able to swap classes between levels or at those statues, and enemy designs and a general aesthetic that are a lot more imaginative than DMC's generic heavy metal demons.)

Now, if you'd said "As great as Bayonetta is, it ain't no Ninja Gaiden Black!"... then I would agree!

29 minutes ago, merrychan said:

I understand where you're coming from, but at the time for me it was a game crammed with so much joy and (what I thought) brilliance that I really really enjoyed it.

In hindsight it obviously doesn't stand the test of time with all the other 10s we love like Super Mario World, Galaxy etc, ironically it hit one year later than Galaxy so all the other AAA grim games that were out inbetween must have got me seriously down :D

I think that's what made it have more of an impact on me than flaws in other games - the fact that everything else in LBP was so joyous and brilliant!

48 minutes ago, BadgerFarmer said:

In LBP's case, the core thing is tries to do is be a game creation tool. And it is/was a really good one of those. I played around with the Vita version quite a bit and the variety of ideas I was able to implement with quite basic knowledge was impressive. The feel of the platforming was never an obstacle to that, or enjoying other people's creations.

I know Dreams is a whole level above that too, and it's only lack of time that stops me taking more of an interest. It has a keen community though, who are constantly creating interesting stuff. Complex game creation tools are always going to be a bit niche, I think, because few have the time to invest in them, but for those who do, I've no doubt LBP and Dreams are excellent examples.

This really put things into perspective for me, the 10 can be either 'this game is absolutely brilliant' or 'this should be seen as an important landmark for games' or both :)

I don't care about Dreams but I can see why it's a 10.

If someone somewhere ever makes a game which includes both a level creation tool and a gameplay mechanic involving talking to monsters and forming alliances - surely that would be the first 11/10 game in edge?

On 23/03/2022 at 16:33, Kevvy Metal said:

... it's ain't no DMC3!

At the risk of starting another war... DMC3 is no DMC5. :D 

Believe me, I thought 3 was bloody amazing for years, but 5 feels like 3 and then some.

I half expected Edge to award Elden Ring a 6. Then six months later publish an amendment saying that it was a typo and should have got an 8.

It easily deserves the 10. I don’t think I’ve been this absorbed in a game for years, maybe decades.

20 hours ago, Monkeyspill said:

I noticed that but thought it’s probably just the way the game looks.

It is, the demo did a good job of instantly putting me off because it looks like there's Vaseline all over the screen.