IGNORED

Edge 370

Qazimod

An 8 for Total Warhammer 3 is extremely generous, given the game is an unbalanced, broken and buggy mess that needed at least another six months in the oven. Also the main mode isn't even in there yet.

Perhaps they are scoring based on future potential. I have no doubt like the first two they will get it to an 8 with patches over the next 6-12 months but it seems like it should be judged on what it is not what it will be.

@Isaac The review calls out some disappointing gameplay elements (micromanagement in battle, lacklustre diplomacy, unsatisfying siege battles) but doesn’t talk about bugs that much. It’s not a series I play so I don’t really know if the review does it justice.

Nice to see Stun Runner in there. Man I was OBSESSED by that game back in the day. Only ever saw it once in the arcades (until Arc Club Bury..) but was desperate for a home conversion. Needless to say I was massively disappointed, obviously. But waiting for screenshots in mags was like a religion. Takes me back. :wub:

As people have said, it's a nice, almost nostalgic, feeling to be reading a 10/10 review in Edge, particularly when it's a game I'm really enjoying and playing alongside everyone else. Of the last ten Edge tens, I've only played three of them, so it feels long overdue to be reading the mag going elegantly bonkers over something that I'm also going quietly apeshit over.

Looking back at the list of Edge tens, I'd forgotten there was a period in 2007 when there were three tens in three consecutive issues. We really didn't know how good we had it back then.

Hey, lets play do you agree that the EDGE 10 should have got a 10/10? Let's not get into what score it should of got, just a simple YES/NO. It does happen that I've played every one of these. 

Super Mario 64 - YES

Gran Turismo - YES

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - YES

Halo: Combat Evolved - YES

Half-Life 2 - YES

Halo 3 - NO

The Orange Box - NO

Super Mario Galaxy - YES

Grand Theft Auto IV - NO

LittleBigPlanet - NO

Bayonetta - YES

Super Mario Galaxy 2 - NO, YES, MAYBE

Rock Band 3- NO

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - NO

The Last of Us - YES

Grand Theft Auto V - NO

Bayonetta 2 - NO

Bloodborne - YES

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - YES

Super Mario Odyssey - YES

Red Dead Redemption 2 - NO

Dreams- NO

Elden Ring - YES

11 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Hey, lets play do you agree that the EDGE 10 should have got a 10/10? Let's not get into what score it should of got, just a simple YES/NO.

The only ones in that list I didn't play are Dreams and Rock Band 3.  Did they really give those a 10?

And here's my YESs/NOs ref. do they deserve a 10

Super Mario 64 - YES

Gran Turismo - YES

Half-Life 2 - YES

Halo 3 - NO

The Orange Box - NO

Super Mario Galaxy - YES

Grand Theft Auto IV - NO

LittleBigPlanet - NO

Bayonetta - YES

Super Mario Galaxy 2 - YES

Rock Band 3 - NO IDEA but probably NO

The Last of Us - NO

Grand Theft Auto V - NO

Bayonetta 2 - NO

Bloodborne - YES

Super Mario Odyssey - NO

Dreams - NO IDEA but probably NO

Elden Ring - YES

14 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

Halo 3 on Legendary is a superb FPS, and a worthy Edge 10. So should be a YES.

Halo 3 is the second best in the series for me. It's really, really, really, really amazing. 

But no Elites, so no recharging shield dynamic and more-linear levels means it's more like a better sequel to Halo 2. 

It's amazing, but it's no CE and not a 10/10... for me. 

Yeah I'd agree with that.  10's are moreso for the paradigm shifters/originators, which Halo 3 wasn't.  I should probably change my SMG2 YES to a NO with this in mind of course, but I do have a soft spot for it.

2 minutes ago, Triple A said:

Yeah I'd agree with that.  10's are moreso for the paradigm shifters/originators, which Halo 3 wasn't.  I should probably change my SMG2 YES to a NO with this in mind of course, but I do have a soft spot for it.

SMG2 is soooo good, but the whimsical narrative tying the first game is gone and it really does feel like an expansion of the first. A collection of delicious left overs. I think the first is both marginally better and also way more impactful with a far better tone. 

@Triple A Yes, and deservedly so, as far as I'm concerned! Rock Band 3 is simply magnificent, and Dreams is the greatest game-creator-as-game that I've ever played.

My personal list, only including those I've played for a significant period (so neither Mario Galaxy, as I've put maybe an hour into the first and that's it); I've put a yes by some that I think deserved a 10, but wouldn't have actually given one myself; notably the first two games on this list:

Super Mario 64 - YES

Gran Turismo - YES

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - NO

Half-Life 2 - NO

Halo 3 - YES

The Orange Box - YES

Grand Theft Auto IV - NO

LittleBigPlanet - NO

Bayonetta - NO

Rock Band 3 - YES

The Last of Us - NO

Grand Theft Auto V - NO

Bayonetta 2 - NO

Bloodborne - NO

Super Mario Odyssey - NO

Dreams- YES

Elden Ring - YES

For me it's the omissions that bother me; no Thief, no System Shock, no Deus Ex, no Rez, no Little Big Adventure 2, no Day of the Tentacle,* no Shenmue, no Gone Home...

*though that may actually predate Edge, to be fair

Up to and including GTA IV I wholeheartedly agree with all of the 10s. After that I can see where they are coming from in most instances, but perhaps would not necessarily hand out a 10 personally. Mario Galaxy 2, Bayonetta 2 and especially Skyward Sword would be the least deserving ones imo. The first two are great games but just refinements or continuations of what came before. Skyward Sword isn’t anything special and the motion controls got far too much credit. 

Mario Galaxy 2 illustrates the problem with "it needs to be a paradigm shift".

Mario Galaxy is so so so so very good that "just more Mario Galaxy" is still comfortably one of the best games ever made and so far ahead of every single other entry in the genre it hurts.

33 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Halo 3 is the second best in the series for me. It's really, really, really, really amazing. 

But no Elites, so no recharging shield dynamic and more-linear levels means it's more like a better sequel to Halo 2. 

It's amazing, but it's no CE and not a 10/10... for me. 

30 minutes ago, Triple A said:

I may well be wrong, but I think the 10 was based on the the overall package - single player, multiplayer and forge

Super Mario 64 - YES

Gran Turismo - NO

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - NO

Half-Life 2 - YES

Halo 3 - NO

The Orange Box - YES

Super Mario Galaxy - NO

Grand Theft Auto IV - NO

LittleBigPlanet - NO

Bayonetta - NO

Super Mario Galaxy 2 - NO

Rock Band 3- NO

The Last of Us - NO

Grand Theft Auto V - NO

Bayonetta 2 - NO

Bloodborne - YES

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - NO

Super Mario Odyssey - NO

Red Dead Redemption 2 - NO

Dreams- NO

Elden Ring - YES

42 minutes ago, kensei said:

Mario Galaxy 2 illustrates the problem with "it needs to be a paradigm shift".

Mario Galaxy is so so so so very good that "just more Mario Galaxy" is still comfortably one of the best games ever made and so far ahead of every single other entry in the genre it hurts.

Yeah I think this was kinda where I was coming from re my YES for SMG2

The only Edge 10 that there's basically no argument for is Little Big Planet. The platforming in that is so floaty and imprecise that the game completely fails on one of the most basic aspects of its genre's mechanics. That it was such an innovative playground for level creators made that fatal flaw worse, if anything. I have absolutely no idea why no one fixed it before launch (I assume it was pointed out ad nauseum in QA and throughout development, there's no way it wasn't), and don't even start me on LBP2 keeping the floatiness to make sure that levels from the first game were still compatible. Seriously, if there's one wrongheaded decision in all of videogame design that I would correct, it would be to sort out LBP's platforming and make the controls as tight as Mario's. It could have been the best game ever made back in 2008 if this had been fixed, and I firmly believe to this day that it would have sold a lot more. Such a waste.

The only ones on that list that deserve a 10 are:

Super Mario 64 / TLoZ: OOT / Halo: CE / Half-Life 2 / SMG / Bloodborne / TLoZ: BotW / Elden Ring

Plenty of others almost nab the cigar, and some of them are shocking shite (basically the three R* games).

Guys you forgot the 10s in Edge Presents Retro. And the “Ten amendments”.

I can’t really post yes or no responses as there are a bunch of them I never played. It was a bit unfortunate rating GTA IV so highly when they didn’t know that GTA V would be a thing.

9 minutes ago, jonamok said:

The only ones on that list that deserve a 10 are:

Super Mario 64 / TLoZ: OOT / Halo: CE / Half-Life 2 / SMG / Bloodborne / TLoZ: BotW / Elden Ring

Plenty of others almost nab the cigar, and some of them are shocking shite (basically the three R* games).

I think this is absolutely spot on. 

Wow I've really not played many of these. Hopefully gonna grab a PS4 and catch up on some of them soon.

Super Mario 64 - YES
Half-Life 2 - YES
Halo 3 - I MEEEEEAN IT'S GREAT BUT NO
The Orange Box - YES
Super Mario Galaxy - EH I GUESS
Super Mario Galaxy 2 - YES
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - ABSOLUTELY NOT
Super Mario Odyssey - NO