IGNORED

Lasagne dishes

Foxworth

Has anyone got a lasagne dish that actually fits lasagne sheets correctly? 

Their either too short and you have loads of space around the edge and you have a sloppy mess or the dish is too small and you have to surgically alter each sheet hoping it doesn't shatter into a million shards. 

I'm only talking about dry sheets. Should I be looking at fresh lasagne or are their similar issues there too? 

Most recently I've used fresh sheets I got from Ocado, one from a fresh pasta company that was mid priced (not the full on artisan pasta crafted by nonnas in a Tuscan village) then a cheaper M&S equivalent.

Both were very nice and being fresh far easier to cut to size, with no pre-soaking necessary. Most supermarkets offer their own brand fresh, only thing to look out for is how easy the sheets come apart if fresh.

Don't think there is such a thing as a standard sized sheet so perfect no cut fit will be something you need to measure up. 

I never pre-soak the dried sheets, but you could always parboil them and cut them.

I just use the kitchen bench edge to snap them fairly accurately. A bit of overlap isn't a bad thing.

I use a generic rectangular earthenware dish which is pretty close to working well with dried lasagna sheets, purely by luck rather than design i'd guess.  Its a no brand thing I've had for years so don't have a link to where I got it from, sorry.

Have long since given up trying to cut or snap the sheets, I just overlap or have a small gap instead where needed

20 hours ago, Foxworth said:

Should I be looking at fresh lasagne or are their similar issues there too? 

Yes, No.

Making fresh lasagne sheets is easy because it's just a case of rolling it, you don't really need a pasta machine. It's just egg and flour and it will be so much richer and more lovely. Then you can obviously cut them to whatever size your dish has. 

I might be talking out of my bum though, because I do have a pasta machine and it's been ages since I last tried to hand roll it. It just needs to be thinnish though, right?

But otherwise, yes, just overlap them. I love thick pasta so the overlapped bits were treats amongst the rest of it. 

Thanks for the advice everyone. I guess I should try some fresh sheets and cut them. Maybe I can find a use for those bits in a rough and ready chunky sauce. I don't know.

I'm not the most adventurous cook even though I trained for a couple of years. My family aren't always that willing to try new things so I cook a lot of the old favourites most days. I should make an attempt to do something new once in a while. 

This week will be fresh pasta sheets. Baby steps. 

Traditionally, all the little bits of leftover/broken pasta were thrown into a minestrone soup. A good one is amazing, very nutritious, affordable, easy to make and pretty flexible in terms of what ingredients you need.