Retro Gamer 231

Mine came today, no extra mag either.

If it’s like other similar magazines it’ll be mostly recycled content from other publications.

The 80s special contains recycled content from previous issues, though the page layout looks different in a few articles.

I'm still not a fan of the paper quality in Future's special editions. I assume it's a cost saving measure, but is much worse than the glossy pages of the Imagine days.

9 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

It appears to be a reprint as the Zelda 1 article was still holding out hope for a 3d remake on the 3ds…

It’s a bookazine recycling old RG content. Also this particular bookazine came out a few years ago so info like that will be out of date. If you can call retro gaming stories out of date.

5 hours ago, SeanR said:

It’s actually useful for me, cos I buy them, but never read them, so having a greatest hits edition? Proper handy!

It was previously available in newsagents on its own, and it should be on the app/Readly.

The Amiga article was really interesting. Thing is I doubt I'll get one, it was a great machine at the time and I was really jealous my mate had one while I had a spectrum, but once I played a NES, Gameboy or snes (or megadrive) there wasnt anything that interested me on the Amiga. Maybe I'm wrong on this, maybe something like zool comes close to super Mario world? (Edit I haven't played zool so I'm not taking the piss here!)

Might try out some Amiga games through retro arch.

1 hour ago, bplus said:

The Amiga article was really interesting. Thing is I doubt I'll get one, it was a great machine at the time and I was really jealous my mate had one while I had a spectrum, but once I played a NES, Gameboy or snes (or megadrive) there wasnt anything that interested me on the Amiga. Maybe I'm wrong on this, maybe something like zool comes close to super Mario world? (Edit I haven't played zool so I'm not taking the piss here!)

Might try out some Amiga games through retro arch.

I can assure you Zool comes nowhere near Super Mario World. It's not even as good as Sonic. 

Yeah, the Amiga games that have stood the test of time aren't the ones that were trying to compete with consoles of the day. They're the ones that were more PC-like, or just very Amiga.

Or Championship Manager.