IGNORED

The Quarry - new supermassive game

the_debaser

2 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Hide contents

You can’t avoid Nick being attacked I don’t think. 

I agree the hunters seem intent on protecting the counsellors rather than harming them, but why they can’t just say that instead of sneaking about menacingly brandishing knives and guns, I don’t know :lol:

It's definitely werewolves, or a weird, skinny, hairless version of them, anyway. 

Emma can definitely die in the cabin on the island - or get infected. 

The body in the lake is, I think, reference to the two missing hikers? There were torn, bloody backpacks in one of the store rooms and a newspaper article discussing missing hikers, so that’s my theory so far. 

Spoiler

In Chapter 5 he throws a glass bottle of blood at someone’s head!

I failed on purpose but feel a bit daft….

i’d forgotten those two but still seems odd there’s a complete corpse behind if werewolves attacked/ate them…

Theres also Chris’ kids to consider. Can’t fit them in yet…

Bought the physical for this on series X and it arrived today (is 49.99 at Smyth's and also at game). Normally prefer digital but like others have mentioned I'm not paying £70-80 for it (especially where the dark pictures games all launched at £25).

Liking it so far. Up to chapter 2 and going to play more later. Love the animated tutorials. Seems business as usual for a supermassive game. The character work and script seem stronger so far, but also feels less physical. In their other games you pick things up, hold the button down, turn them over etc.. where this is literally press a.

My ranking of their games is:

Until dawn > house of ashes > man of Medan > little hope > the others 

This is already on a par with until dawn. Might prefer it by the end.

And done. Chapter 10 down, all survived (ish).

Sadly not a patch on Until Dawn for me. The characters are better but the story and mechanics fall apart towards end.

Story/choices spoilers

Spoiler

So Jordan/Emma/Abi are obviously the easy kills. The way they're sidelined from the story is very obvious. Even when you release Jacob, naked from a cage, your character sends him off on his own into the mines (away from narrative) unarmed and no idea if a way out

Laura/Max returned gives them a "safe" protagonist to make the game around later. On reflection Ryan/Kaitlyn are pretty safe too - not too many chances to see I saw till late on. But chapter 7 is a huge drag and kills a lot of momentum.[ 

Dylan (who could die and presumable became infected) just hides in room during Kaitlyn's climax to keep out of the way of events.

I ended up killing all the Hacketts (bar Travis, who I got in a quick rerun) - never really felt connected to Chris so wasn't a hard choice.

Why were Caled/Kaylee roaming about biting people when Chris was locked up? The entire story doesn't happen without that but it doesn't seem to be explained?

Eliza/Silas should have not be included. It just doesn't make a great deal of sense, the final confrontation is boringly silly. He's wandered but came back here for this two month period. They've hunted him every full moon, but never looked at remains of camp? Again without much info on Silas the choice isn't exactly hard.

They obviously wanted to have "there's two things going on!" like when you realised there's a psycho and monsters in UD, but it doesn't really work.

Amazingly little conclusion to anyone's narrative. Felt like a reunion scene or two were missing. The slideshow didn't answer mention many questions. And I don't "ship" anyone here but the lack of resolution to any of them is insane,

And then the podcast...while kinda hints at what happens next but basically just runs through the evidence you've collected. Poor.

Not a bad game by any means, but no where near Until Dawn's near gold standard.

Looking at it you have chapter select now but you have to replay the entire game from your selection each time you use it.

And it looks like you need to get every collectable in a single playthrough so if you missed one in Chapter 2 you have to replay Chapters 2-10

Nope.

I'd agree with every word of that, tbh.

Spoiler

I got the same results as you overall and you're spot on: it's obvious which ones are more easily 'killable' by how little they have to do once you reach a certain point. Jacob just ended with him crying alone in the woods in his boxers...! 

None of the characters were great, for all the talent portraying them. I'd say Dylan and Laura were the standouts. Dylan started out a bit annoying but by the end he was probably my favourite. Max had a few funny lines. Ryan was dull, Emma was annoying and her face was very oddly animated at times, Jacob was an idiot, Abi and Nick were pretty non-descript. Kaitlyn had moments of greatness but at the same time was probably the least developed character of them all and never felt in any real danger until very near the end. Chris aka David Arquette was basically just a glorified cameo. Ted Raimi as Travis was pretty good, though. I liked him.

There's obviously some people you can't save at all - Kaylee and Chris being the standouts - but I reckon you could save everyone else, if you were so inclined.

Agree as well with the Eliza/Silas thing. So what, Eliza was a ghost the whole time? Why was Silas a werewolf? Why did he suddenly decide to come back to the area after 6 years of being untraceable? And then you shoot him whilst he sleeps in his nest? That's it? Would have preferred that whole thing was scrapped, to be honest. Agree as well about Caleb and Kaylee - how come they were out? Did they just happen to escape this one time, instead of being locked in the cages in the basement as normal? 

The podcast at the end was fucking awful. In fact, the whole ending was. No satisfying conclusion, no reunion, no 'what happened next', those freeze-frame, 3 line descriptions of what happened to each was very disappointing. 

They talk of there being 186 different possible endings or some utter nonsense, but considering you and I both got what I would consider the 'best' ending (without even trying to, really), and that was piss poor, I can only imagine how crap the rest of the endings were. Literally just different blocks of text for each person and slightly more of the already godawful podcast to listen to as they recite the evidence collected by the player. No thanks.

I also find it funny that the entire thing only happened because Jacob wanted to get his end away one last time with Emma...

Overall I thought the premise was great, I loved the direction it was going in, then it all fell apart and never really recovered.

I've only played up to the start of chapter 2 but it feels much rougher, technically, than Until Dawn unless I have some major rose tinted glasses on. I remember Until Dawn being more polished, this feels a bit glitchy/janky and like it needed a few more months of polish.

21 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

I'd agree with every word of that, tbh.

Reveal hidden contents

I got the same results as you overall and you're spot on: it's obvious which ones are more easily 'killable' by how little they have to do once you reach a certain point. Jacob just ended with him crying alone in the woods in his boxers...! 

None of the characters were great, for all the talent portraying them. I'd say Dylan and Laura were the standouts. Dylan started out a bit annoying but by the end he was probably my favourite. Max had a few funny lines. Ryan was dull, Emma was annoying and her face was very oddly animated at times, Jacob was an idiot, Abi and Nick were pretty non-descript. Kaitlyn had moments of greatness but at the same time was probably the least developed character of them all and never felt in any real danger until very near the end. Chris aka David Arquette was basically just a glorified cameo. Ted Raimi as Travis was pretty good, though. I liked him.

There's obviously some people you can't save at all - Kaylee and Chris being the standouts - but I reckon you could save everyone else, if you were so inclined.

Agree as well with the Eliza/Silas thing. So what, Eliza was a ghost the whole time? Why was Silas a werewolf? Why did he suddenly decide to come back to the area after 6 years of being untraceable? And then you shoot him whilst he sleeps in his nest? That's it? Would have preferred that whole thing was scrapped, to be honest. Agree as well about Caleb and Kaylee - how come they were out? Did they just happen to escape this one time, instead of being locked in the cages in the basement as normal? 

The podcast at the end was fucking awful. In fact, the whole ending was. No satisfying conclusion, no reunion, no 'what happened next', those freeze-frame, 3 line descriptions of what happened to each was very disappointing. 

They talk of there being 186 different possible endings or some utter nonsense, but considering you and I both got what I would consider the 'best' ending (without even trying to, really), and that was piss poor, I can only imagine how crap the rest of the endings were. Literally just different blocks of text for each person and slightly more of the already godawful podcast to listen to as they recite the evidence collected by the player. No thanks.

I also find it funny that the entire thing only happened because Jacob wanted to get his end away one last time with Emma...

Overall I thought the premise was great, I loved the direction it was going in, then it all fell apart and never really recovered.

Spoiler

Chris can live I think reading up on trophies now. It means he'll kill Ryan and/or Laura in the mansion at the end.

So I don't think you can save him while killing Silas as Laura/Ryan/Travis will be dead...

I reckon Kaylee's the only inescapable death (although the others might not all survive at the same time). Laura will always be alive at the point and she kills her in a cutscene without your involvement

Like you Dylan grew on me lots.

Ryan is the closest to a main character (along with Laura) and I found him pretty unlikeable.

I didn't mind Jacob too much but I'm pretty shallow. Then again it was odd he got no comeuppence for breaking the car. Kaitlyn even tells him to take the Rotor Arm. Then she finds the Rotor arm is missing and never puts two and two together?

Yeah Eliza was dead the whole time. I'd have to replay but I didn't see any direction to the ghosts interruptions. She didn't seem to be driving you towards killing the Hacketts more than just fucking with you. I also lauged that Silas was "The White Wolf" but had the exact same model as the rest. I was very confused when Ryan starting talking about having seen a white wolf by the radio shack...and then they went to Laura/Max's crash site to find him for some reason,

1 minute ago, Hexx said:

Hide contents

Chris can live I think reading up on trophies now. It means he'll kill Ryan and/or Laura in the mansion at the end.

So I don't think you can save him while killing Silas as Laura/Ryan/Travis will be dead...

I reckon Kaylee's the only inescapable death (although the others might not all survive at the same time). Laura will always be alive at the point and she kills her in a cutscene without your involvement

Like you Dylan grew on me lots.

Ryan is the closest to a main character (along with Laura) and I found him pretty unlikeable.

I didn't mind Jacob too much but I'm pretty shallow. Then again it was odd he got no comeuppence for breaking the car. Kaitlyn even tells him to take the Rotor Arm. Then she finds the Rotor arm is missing and never puts two and two together?

Yeah Eliza was dead the whole time. I'd have to replay but I didn't see any direction to the ghosts interruptions. She didn't seem to be driving you towards killing the Hacketts more than just fucking with you. I also lauged that Silas was "The White Wolf" but had the exact same model as the rest. I was very confused when Ryan starting talking about having seen a white wolf by the radio shack...and then they went to Laura/Max's crash site to find him for some reason,

Spoiler

I mean, it's werewolves so I'll forgive a lot and it definitely has some cracking moments but overall, definitely not as good as Until Dawn.

They should have just done away with the whole Eliza/Silas thing. Had Chris or Caleb as the 'main' werewolf, had a lot more interaction with them to make it more emotional when you had to decide whether or not to put them down etc, would have been a far better pay off. Overall a lot of it felt rushed, bits don't gel well together if you don't make the right decisions or at least the decisions the game seems to want you to make, a lot of decisions made no difference or they ended up doing both options anyway etc. It just felt quite disjointed, overall.

Shame.

Definitely want to play this but I too am going to bitch about the PlayStation 5 pricing - £65 is just ridiculous. I paid 30 quid for their last game and felt that was fair for the time and entertainment I got out of it. How long roughly is one playthrough of this and does anyone here think its worth that amount of money? I usually only play these games through once (or twice if I really enjoy it). Considering you can get the PC version for about 30 quid its just absurd and until it drops considerably I simply can't justify trying this one out (no I don't have a PC or Xbox that can play it).

4 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

Definitely want to play this but I too am going to bitch about the PlayStation 5 pricing - £65 is just ridiculous. I paid 30 quid for their last game and felt that was fair for the time and entertainment I got out of it. How long roughly is one playthrough of this and does anyone here think its worth that amount of money? I usually only play these games through once (or twice if I really enjoy it). Considering you can get the PC version for about 30 quid its just absurd and until it drops considerably I simply can't justify trying this one out (no I don't have a PC or Xbox that can play it).

Its a “proper” game instead of one of the dark pictures anthology ones which are meant to be shorter experiences. This one is roughly 8-10 hours compared to the dark pictures 4-5. 

9 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

My game bugged - so my playtime was apparently 1 day and 19 hours.

I'd guess about 10 hours for a  playthrough - I poked every corner for items though.

And it depends how much you like the gamestyle. It's not bad, it's just disappointing and not as good a previous. But as a horror fan and story game fan I'm happy with paying full price for it. (with cdkeys discounts etc).

7 hours ago, Hexx said:

My game bugged - so my playtime was apparently 1 day and 19 hours.

I'd guess about 10 hours for a  playthrough - I poked every corner for items though.

And it depends how much you like the gamestyle. It's not bad, it's just disappointing and not as good a previous. But as a horror fan and story game fan I'm happy with paying full price for it. (with cdkeys discounts etc).

I think the game doesn’t actually go to sleep when you put the console to sleep, so it’s still ticks over hence the ridiculous playtime. 

Took me 7 hours 27 mins to complete. Got a main character killed at the first opportunity as they were annoying me, so it may take longer if you keep everyone alive. 
Story wasn’t a patch on Until Dawn and I feel no need to replay it. Glad I got the physical copy and can trade it. 

3 minutes ago, Banjaxed said:

Took me 7 hours 27 mins to complete. Got a main character killed at the first opportunity as they were annoying me, so it may take longer if you keep everyone alive. 
Story wasn’t a patch on Until Dawn and I feel no need to replay it. Glad I got the physical copy and can trade it. 

Which one? 

19 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Which one? 

Spoiler

Emma, picked the open trapdoor option and prayed it wasn’t some sort of double bluff. Was very pleased when the werewolf was there waiting. 

37 minutes ago, Banjaxed said:

Hide contents

Emma, picked the open trapdoor option and prayed it wasn’t some sort of double bluff. Was very pleased when the werewolf was there waiting. 

Spoiler

Yeah, she’s a bit crap. Not helped by the fact if she does survive that bit, and the next couple of bits of her getting off the island, she’s completely sidelined alongside Abigail and Jacob. 

1 hour ago, Banjaxed said:

Managed to find the PS5 physical version on Amazon for £50 so have gone for it, like you I can trade it after. What I don't get is why the PS5 version is £65 when the Xbox version is only £50. 

16 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

Managed to find the PS5 physical version on Amazon for £50 so have gone for it, like you I can trade it after. What I don't get is why the PS5 version is £65 when the Xbox version is only £50. 

The Xbox Series S/X version is £64.99 digitally, too.

And finished. Hmm....I'm not sure if the damp squib ending was just the game or my fault for fucking up and causing a bit of a massacre at the end.

Spoiler

I thought there was going to be more to it so didn't shoot anyone at the end (Ted Raimi or White Wolf), causing maximum murder. Also lost the douche whose fault it was for all this by fucking with the car, so no big deal, as if this was an actual horror movie he'd die anyway. I burst out laughing after all this and it just cut too whether everyone is alive or dead. I mean, yay that I saved my two faves (Brenda Song and Ariel Winter) but also lol that I didn't spend more time with them during the endgame stuff, aside from that quick wolf sequence. 

Yeah. It's a 6/10. Massively inferior to Until Dawn and not even Supermassives best game on PS5 (that would be House of Ashes).

May try it again as we get closer to Halloween.

I was just about to buy this but everyone pretty much saying that it gets worse the longer it goes on has put me off a bit, I’ve never played Until Dawn so I don’t have that as a comparison, and don’t own a PlayStation so have no way to play it! What do people think? If I’ve not played Until Dawn is this still worth £35?

16 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

I was just about to buy this but everyone pretty much saying that it gets worse the longer it goes on has put me off a bit, I’ve never played Until Dawn so I don’t have that as a comparison, and don’t own a PlayStation so have no way to play it! What do people think? If I’ve not played Until Dawn is this still worth £35?

I'd probably give House of Ashes a go instead. It's shorter, but a more tighter experience. And you can get it for around £20 now too probably. If you like that then maybe pick up The Quarry when it's gone down in price.

Conversely, I found house of ashes pretty bad. All the characters were unlikeable, I didn’t like the heavy handed Iraqi war oorah shit and the ending was utter guff.

Supermassive seem to really struggle with writing a good, satisfying ending for any of their games. 

This is really slooooooow. I appreciate that they're establishing characters and relationships but at the start of chapter 3 I've been playing for several hours and it feels like practically nothing important has happened.

The character building is actually pretty decent and I'm enjoying it but I also feel like I'm Milhouse waiting for Itchy and Scratchy to get to the fireworks factory. Not even just because of lack of action so much as lack of meaningful choice/interactions so far.

Also this old woman moaning I never find any tarot cards 😂 They seem way harder to find than the Until Dawn equivalent.

Finished this last night and thought it was pretty disappointing on the whole. Better than Man of Medan (not a high bar to clear) but markedly inferior to Until Dawn. 

This had one of worst bugs I can remember in recent memory which is that, a very significant portion of the time, the environmental lighting just flat out failed to load. I've seen other people comment on how dark it is too and it's because the lighting isn't loading properly. I could often fix it, strangely, by going into the pause menu whenever I noticed it was just far too dark and flat looking, but it didn't always seem to work and so some of the time you're just bumping the characters around pitch black environments. Awful to not have patched an issue like this more than two weeks since release.

The game spends a looooong time at the beginning setting up the characters and the relationships between them. It's pretty slow but with hindsight probably the most competent part of the game. The character writing is decent (this is probably the sole part of the game better than Until Dawn) and it leads you to believe the relationships between the characters will actually matter. 

I have to believe that the devs eventually just ran out of time/budget because, sadly, the longer the game goes on the less the game cares about the characters and their respective relationships. The way the game ends is just...awful, with no respect at all for the time and investment you've made. You really are led to believe this stuff matters and in the end it simply doesn't.

The story hangs together much less well than Until Dawn and it has markedly inferior action/chase/choice sequences too. The only time it really comes close was perhaps Chapter 9. For such a relatively short game it's also full of padding and long, inane sequences where a character walks very slowly around a big empty environment occasionally finding a thuddingly obvious clue.

What was impressive in 2015 also feels noticeably less impressive seven years later. A lot of the facial animation is just weird, especially the mouths. It's no worse than Until Dawn but this is a £65 game released seven years later. Some of the mouths are honestly vaguely horrifying.

I can't recommend this at full price and maybe not even at half price. Wait for PS+/Gamepass/£20 sale.

Yeah the ending was probably the worst thing about it. It was almost like they forgot to write one and then just went with whatever the intern came up with. I guess that's the price to pay for having so many possible endings, but really they handled this shit much better in previous games. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been quite enjoying this, I think I'm about 2/3rds in. I'll do a full review afterwards but overall its a good laugh, and definitely better than their last few games. I think the characters are the strongest out of any of their games, the couple at the start, Kaitlen, Dylan and the cop being my favourites. It looks great but once again the dreaded teeth face are back, I mean they are slowly getting better each game but there are still a lot of disturbing facial moments and teeth going on. When the animation looks good though, it looks great, and the environments and lighting are lush as hell. The dialogue for the most part is waaaay better and more natural feeling than most of their other games, the script is still cringe but overall its not too bad and the actors have done a good job with what they have.

Spooks-wise its the usual cliched bullshit, I mean its pretty terrible especially at the start with 'spooky' ghost voices and shit. It does get better once actual threats start showing up, with some cool mean looking baddy designs. They've definitely improved the core gameplay quite a bit. Walking around environments is way better than the old games if still clunky at times. Moving QTEs to mainly joystick movements is a great move that makes it much fairer, and the hold breath mechanic is no longer a dice throw whether you'll survive. I also like the new addition of the reaction events and free-look aiming events which add more interesting choices and situations.

The meta-characters (this time the lady in the caravan) still don't work, and the card see-the-future mechanic is still as pointless and incredibly boring to get as before. The conceit of the meta-character worked great in Until Dawn, but they keep reusing it and each time it seems more useless and less clever than before. Its a shame because the caravan lady is a great character. Then give her a card, be treated to a load of meaningless word salad and get to see a useless premonition which doesn't give you any help as usual.

Overall though despite the usual flaws these games have, this is one of the best so far, and its generally fun to pick up and get into. I'll probably finish it in a big session in a future evening and see if I can get anyone else killed.

Spoilers for where I'm up to and who I killed:

Spoiler

I've just had the flashback with Laura from her and Chris' time with the cop. I got Abbey killed. We were in the poolhouse and Nick, who had been bitten, was going infected. He attacked Abbey and she picked up a gun. I got an event where I could choose to make her fire at him. I thought, nah, this is definitely a bait, he'll stop, or there'll be some way to save him. I won't kill him now. Sure enough, he went into convulsions. Hah! I thought. I was right! And then he turned into a monster, dived on Abbey and ripped her fucking head off! Oops. Sorry Abbey! Have to say though, the attack was proper gruesome, and ended with her decapitated head with gore spilling out centre frame in the camera. Very cool. I am pissed off though, I was doing pretty good until that point. Lets see if I can get everyone else out alive!