Jump to content
IGNORED

The Quarry - new supermassive game


the_debaser
 Share

Recommended Posts

I think I got Until Dawn for free as part of PS+, might be tempted to play full price for this. But I also want to not support 2K, so I'll probably pick it up as a discount.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Played the prologue and a bit of the first chapter. It's exactly what I expected and wanted. Plays up to the 80s camp slasher aesthetic with the VHS stylings and music. Some great performances too. Brenda Song is great and Ted Raimi is giving a performance.

 

Can't wait to meet Lance Henriksen. Hopefully he's more alive than he was in Detroit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just got an e-mail from Steam that this is out now, after my having it wishlisted.  Seemed to be released somewhat out of nowhere?  I was expecting a longer promo campaign for some reason.  Anyway - yeah I fancy this but not for £55 on PC.  Chancers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 09/06/2022 at 13:51, deerokus said:

It's a shame it's so expensive, seems a bit steep for this type of game. 2K are money grabbers.

 

All of their other games have been cheaper, not necessarily budget games but certainly marketed as being cheaper than your typical title, so to release this one at such a seemingly inflated price with no real explanation of the additional value this price tag will bring just makes it seem like they're being cheeky. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Physical copy is £48 at base.com which is a lot more palatable for such a relatively short game, and one I'm pretty much guaranteed to sell once I'm done too. Digital prices for new releases are such a joke. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Triple A said:

c.£30 on CDKeys.com x Topcashback (PC version).  I might jump in at that price but not yet.

You can get another 5% off if you use Paypal with the PAYPAL5 code.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A few chapters in and I'm liking the diverse characters. So far there's only one I wouldn't mind seeing die.

 

Not quite sure why people expect this to be cheaper than your usual PS5 games. It's not like the Dark Pictures where they're small bite size pieces. This, from what I hear, I supposed to be a full, quite lengthy experience.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Gambit said:

A few chapters in and I'm liking the diverse characters. So far there's only one I wouldn't mind seeing die.

 

Not quite sure why people expect this to be cheaper than your usual PS5 games. It's not like the Dark Pictures where they're small bite size pieces. This, from what I hear, I supposed to be a full, quite lengthy experience.


Even until dawn was released far cheaper than other new titles iirc. Think it was £39.99 compared to £49-59 of other things. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well here's a mess! EG balls up the review somewhat

 

https://www.eurogamer.net/the-quarry-review-sumptuous-slasher-horror-digs-its-own-grave

 

They were playing the Deluxe version and the reviewer got stroppy that the 'death rewind' function knocked her all the way back from chapter 10 to chapter 1! Which is shit indeed BUT

 

on your first playthrough you don't even have the Death Rewind. It's an unlockable. So the game plays like Until Dawn, if you miss a QTE tough shit. The way god intended.

 

So how did they make this mistake?

Well it turns out that if you buy the Deluxe Edition, you get Death Rewind for your first playthrough. How very 'deluxe'.

So plenty of egg on face to go round. Moral of the story - don't buy the Deluxe Edition. If they provided it to reviewers on the sly thinking it would get them better reviews then LOL.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I enjoyed Until Dawn a lot (never played the dark anthology stuff) so I decided to get this on my PC from Cdkeys. Currently running great on my 3070ti with some abolsutely amazing facial texture work. It's dark, my car is off the road and things are getting tense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Gambit said:

A few chapters in and I'm liking the diverse characters. So far there's only one I wouldn't mind seeing die.

 

Not quite sure why people expect this to be cheaper than your usual PS5 games. It's not like the Dark Pictures where they're small bite size pieces. This, from what I hear, I supposed to be a full, quite lengthy experience.

It's more expensive than most games on xbox! I know Sony like that price point but it's just them, 2k, Activision and maybe someone else that do it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s really dark 

 

Prologue done. Pretty! Already been hit by two jump scares. 
 

Did anyone else have a really red ear at end? Not sure if graphics bug or feature 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/06/2022 at 16:29, SozzlyJoe said:

Well here's a mess! EG balls up the review somewhat

 

https://www.eurogamer.net/the-quarry-review-sumptuous-slasher-horror-digs-its-own-grave

 

They were playing the Deluxe version and the reviewer got stroppy that the 'death rewind' function knocked her all the way back from chapter 10 to chapter 1! Which is shit indeed BUT

 

on your first playthrough you don't even have the Death Rewind. It's an unlockable. So the game plays like Until Dawn, if you miss a QTE tough shit. The way god intended.

 

So how did they make this mistake?

Well it turns out that if you buy the Deluxe Edition, you get Death Rewind for your first playthrough. How very 'deluxe'.

So plenty of egg on face to go round. Moral of the story - don't buy the Deluxe Edition. If they provided it to reviewers on the sly thinking it would get them better reviews then LOL.

 

To add to this mess up the demo that was available day 1 did contain the entire game and as you can imagine it didn't take long before someone worked out how to play the full game.  For free. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had the deluxe version for my review (PC Gamer), and decided to turn off death rewind in the options because it's not a default feature. Glad I did now I'm hearing how far back it can send you.

 

The deluxe edition has a pretty piss-poor set of add-ons all round, anyway. The one thing that might have been fun - the 80s costumes - isn't due till after launch, sadly, and I doubt I'll be playing it again by then.

 

The frustrating thing with both the rewind feature and replaying is that you can't skip anything, which makes it a real chore. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Completed Chapter 4.

 

A couple of the characters have become more unlikeable,  but there's no one that's as offensively horrible from the off as in Until Dawn. All alive so far and only (I think) 3 obvious instances were they could have died.

 

It's already split people up into easy lop off sections if they die - which is understandable. Nothing quite as egregious as Claire for Heroes taking a 5 hour bath like Until Dawn so they had a character left to focus on. 

 

The creepy post missions visions so far are to brief/unclear to be much help. Until Dawn did them better I think

 

Choices/thoughts/spec

Spoiler

It seems to be Werewolves - but weren't there here two months? What about last full moon? Although like Until Dawn seems there's several things happening - ghost woman looking for Silas (the dog boy!) so might be linked

Hunters, despite being creepy, don't seem to actively want to hurt the kids. I'm assuming the bloody covering on them (and now Jacob) is protection or something?

Nick got mauled. (Couldn't see how to avoid. Abi escaped being attacked, but Nick seemed destined to - unless an earlier choice changes things). Nick's feeling hungry. Nick doesn't appear to be as wounded as they first thought. This is totally fine.

I'm assuming Emma could die on Island - but she's escaped for now.

The body in lake is throwing me. Didn't look like missing counsellor, and Werewolves would have killed/eaten surely?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/06/2022 at 13:41, Doctor Shark said:

Went to buy it on PS5...HOW MUCH??? £64.99?!?

 

Will wait for a sale.

 

I saw a bit of playthrough of this last night on Twitch, enough to grab my attention so when I saw the tile on the xbox dashboard clicked on it. And yeah, £65! No chance

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Hexx said:

Completed Chapter 4.

 

A couple of the characters have become more unlikeable,  but there's no one that's as offensively horrible from the off as in Until Dawn. All alive so far and only (I think) 3 obvious instances were they could have died.

 

It's already split people up into easy lop off sections if they die - which is understandable. Nothing quite as egregious as Claire for Heroes taking a 5 hour bath like Until Dawn so they had a character left to focus on. 

 

The creepy post missions visions so far are to brief/unclear to be much help. Until Dawn did them better I think

 

Choices/thoughts/spec

  Hide contents

It seems to be Werewolves - but weren't there here two months? What about last full moon? Although like Until Dawn seems there's several things happening - ghost woman looking for Silas (the dog boy!) so might be linked

Hunters, despite being creepy, don't seem to actively want to hurt the kids. I'm assuming the bloody covering on them (and now Jacob) is protection or something?

Nick got mauled. (Couldn't see how to avoid. Abi escaped being attacked, but Nick seemed destined to - unless an earlier choice changes things). Nick's feeling hungry. Nick doesn't appear to be as wounded as they first thought. This is totally fine.

I'm assuming Emma could die on Island - but she's escaped for now.

The body in lake is throwing me. Didn't look like missing counsellor, and Werewolves would have killed/eaten surely?

 


 

Spoiler

You can’t avoid Nick being attacked I don’t think. 
 

I agree the hunters seem intent on protecting the counsellors rather than harming them, but why they can’t just say that instead of sneaking about menacingly brandishing knives and guns, I don’t know :lol:

 

It's definitely werewolves, or a weird, skinny, hairless version of them, anyway. There’s all the shots of the full moon, the one Hunter blew his own finger off after Nick bit it to avoid the infection, there’s howling etc. deffo werewolves. 
 

Emma can definitely die in the cabin on the island - or get infected. 
 

The body in the lake is, I think, reference to the two missing hikers? There were torn, bloody backpacks in one of the store rooms and a newspaper article discussing missing hikers, so that’s my theory so far. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.