IGNORED

Ms. Marvel - Disney+

Chindie

I loved the show but I do agree on the tepid nature of the villains, and the mostly disengaging action. In the movies especially I am finding the trend of large-scale action exhausting and boring. I prefer a crunchy punch-up, or a hair-raising car chase, or something visually inventive at least. This show struggled in the end with its stakes, and didn't seem to know what to do about Kamran.

Still, everything about Kamala, her friends and family, and her world was wonderful.

6 hours ago, RK1D said:

Can't understand all the love for this, it's bang average at best. To say its the best of the Marvel series is a bit much. 

I mean, I preferred Hawkeye and maybe WandaVision but the competition isn’t exactly stiff.

I'm surprised at the cringe comments, thought that episode was brilliant. The action sequences were up there with Hawkeye for being fun as opposed to a slog.

I'm glad it didn't have a proper big comic book mega-baddie story and was more focused on the background and family.

As for the big reveal:

Spoiler

2674bc72630b79c09173e6670bab6d44.jpg

Also, I loved the fact that mutants in the MCU might finally be happening. They need something other than the messed up multiverse to focus on.

He's not in any of the posters that I've seen, and I haven't seen any of the trailers. I suppose I should have realised but I forgot that's where we last saw Thor.

6 hours ago, ckny said:

He's not in any of the posters that I've seen, and I haven't seen any of the trailers. I suppose I should have realised but I forgot that's where we last saw Thor.

Chris Pratt was announced for Thor 4 before Natalie Portman was.

On 14/07/2022 at 01:37, Broker said:

Nothing?

Reveal hidden contents

Since the fox acquisition they own everything xmen related. The ‘92 show that the music is from is on D+

Yeah she’s been looking really, really thin on Instagram recently. Hope she’s ok. 

I wonder if half the internet being utter cunts to her has had any effect?

On 13/07/2022 at 23:49, cassidy said:

Well that was bloody fantastic. 

Someone explain to me how the shot was done when the camera went under the car and then flipped around to focus on Kamran. Without a visible edit? 

My guess is the camera was pulled across by a pulley then another camera man picked it up from the other side, a bit like this:

dui

I was thinking that the easiest way to do it would be to just not have the truck there during shooting and add a CGI truck in afterwards but I think you’re right. Looking at it, there’s a definite moment when the camera gets picked up from the ground. If the truck wasn’t there, they’d either shoot with a crane or steadicam, so it wouldn’t need picking up. 

Might have needed a paint-out on the rig, but that’s pretty simple to do now. 

I didn't watch it again but first time round I definitely noticed a shake in the shot that looked like someone was picking it up. It works so much better than CG for me, I really appreciate directors and camera operators who think practically rather than rely on effects for their shots.

On 14/07/2022 at 01:37, Broker said:

Nothing?

Reveal hidden contents

Since the fox acquisition they own everything xmen related. The ‘92 show that the music is from is on D+

Yeah she’s been looking really, really thin on Instagram recently. Hope she’s ok. 

She's scarily thin in the clip. I didn't recognise her at first.

I listened to the Cinematic Universe podcast on this, and I have to agree with how they summed up the series:

The first episode introduced lots of elements that worked really well. And then the rest of the series jettisoned each of them, one by one: episode 2 toned down the daydream graphics overlays, episode 3 got rid of the school setting, episode 4 removed the New Jersey supporting cast, and then finally, much of episode 5 removed Kamala herself.

(Then they all came back for the finale, except maybe the graphics.)

I have to agree with their conclusion that even with those hindrances, the main character and most of the supporting cast are so likeable that Ms Marvel was probably the best MCU series since WandaVision. (And also the best series finale since then; WV's finale was disappointing at the time, but feels better in retrospect compared to all the ones we've had since.)

With hindsight, it might have been better if the series had focused on the Damage Control side of the story throughout, building up Cleary and Deever (yes, I had to look up those names!) into proper characters. Saving the Clandestine/Djinn/Red Dagger stuff for a second season would've let them devote more time to the parallels between the partition of India and the Clandestine's isolation from home.

(It didn't help that that side of the series gave us another alternate dimension storyline so close to No Way Home/Multiverse of Madness, and another hidden group of immortals so soon after Eternals.)

But I can understand why they wanted to do the Karachi trip and tell the partition storyline ASAP, as it's never guaranteed that they'd even get a second season. And overall, I think I prefer a series that tries to do too many different things, but doesn't do them all justice, to one that only has one overarching season arc and stretches it out with tedious filler.

11 hours ago, Nick R said:

I listened to the Cinematic Universe podcast on this, and I have to agree with how they summed up the series:

The first episode introduced lots of elements that worked really well. And then the rest of the series jettisoned each of them, one by one: episode 2 toned down the daydream graphics overlays, episode 3 got rid of the school setting, episode 4 removed the New Jersey supporting cast, and then finally, much of episode 5 removed Kamala herself.

Yeah, that definitely resonates with me too. It was very strange, on reflection: they started off with something that felt fresh and different and full of personality and then slowly eroded all of that. I loved it for maybe all of the first couple of episodes, then that steadily waned all the way until the end. It felt almost as if they responded to some of the negative (almost exclusively racist) feedback online as the series unfolded.

All of the action scenes were quite badly realised throughout, which contributed quite a lot to this decline. While they also spoiled Wandavision by eventually degenerating into standard Marvel superheroes fighting in the sky gibberish, at least it was done with standard levels of competence, whereas here it was consistently sloppy and incoherent. I appreciate that Kamala is a young woman learning her powers from scratch and some of the rough edges were intentional, but it honestly felt like the filmmakers were themselves learning how to make action scenes from roughly the same level of inexperience at the same time.

That said, the scene in the past where she

Spoiler

sort of vaguely uses her powers to reunite her grandmother and great-grandfather, over a Police Squad esque distance

probably stood out as the worst. It's one of those where if you took away the music that's desperately attempting to persuade you that this is an intensely emotional moment, you'd just be laughing at it instead.

It's all a bit of a shame because I also imagine that very little of the personality is going to reappear once she's more integrated into the MCU either - I doubt that The Marvels is going to involve a huge number of domestic scenes with her family or further interesting glimpses into Pakistani culture and history.

MCU Phase 4 in general seems to be suffering from a "too many characters" problem - between the Clan Destines, the Red Daggers and the Eternals, that's about two dozen characters right there that have got no real development and haven't resonated with audiences at all. Everything seems over-stuffed. Even Hawkeye, which was generally pretty decent, seemed to have about three sub-plots too many and under-used its best bad guy as a result.

The most successful Phase 4 movies and shows seem to have been those that have kept the focus tight on their main characters - WandaVision, Shang-Chi, Moon Knight.

I know it's a different show but I was watching Ms Marvel alongside the latest series of Stranger Things and, while that also suffers from a slightly bloated main cast, it's miles better in terms of character development and pacing. Stranger Things actually knows when to slow down and let things breathe a bit, and the action scenes, when they come, are more effective as a result (and much less confusing and better filmed). It also gave itself the runtime it needed to tell its story. Ms Marvel had about 5 hours in total to introduce a brand new cast, tell a superhero origin story, include all its cultural stuff, introduce two completely separate groups of bad guys, spend an episode doing a largely separate historical story, have the main characters defeat the bad guys and have a final battle, and it didn't really manage to do justice to any of it as a result.

Everything in Phase 4 so far seems to have been a trailer for something else. "Oh, it'll be great when you see this character again!" Just once, it'd be nice if they got a good story now.

I don't even understand why they're rushing considering they have an entire streaming platform to fill and a captive audience. I don't even know what they're rushing towards since they've just come off a ten year arc.

22 minutes ago, SMD said:

I don't even understand why they're rushing considering they have an entire streaming platform to fill and a captive audience. I don't even know what they're rushing towards since they've just come off a ten year arc.

Quite.

I've been watching Agents of SHIELD and while the quality is a bit variable, there is a huge amount of it (over 130 45-minute episodes) and the characters genuinely grow and develop over the course of seven seasons. There have been storylines in that show that are up there with the very best stuff Marvel has produced.

I don't understand why they've gone from stuff like that, that builds and develops and gains a proper fanbase, to shows like Ms Marvel with a handful of episodes that are over before they've even really begun. Even the Netflix stuff (Daredevil etc) was given time to grow.

I really enjoyed Agents of Shield, it was really fun at times and with some stand out moments.  I liked the way it interlinked with the movies but then it went it’s own way and was a bit rubbish but then it went bonkers and was better for it.

Just watched the Ms Marvel finale, and again, thoroughly enjoyed it.

But I have no idea what was going on in the mid-credits scene. Is there a definitive answer? Was that Kamala or Carol? Did they swap bodies? Did Kamala just turn into her visually? Was that our Earth’s Danvers?

What happened exactly?

13 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

Everything in Phase 4 so far seems to have been a trailer for something else. "Oh, it'll be great when you see this character again!" Just once, it'd be nice if they got a good story now.

This was a minor problem in the earlier phase films but now has grown to become a major concern. The films plots are all similar and end in a sequence that's a setup for for something else. The you get Glup Shitto appear in a cameo at the end saying "The trouble is merely starting - come with me!" 

Massively unsatisfying.

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

Just watched the Ms Marvel finale, and again, thoroughly enjoyed it.

But I have no idea what was going on in the mid-credits scene. Is there a definitive answer? Was that Kamala or Carol? Did they swap bodies? Did Kamala just turn into her visually? Was that our Earth’s Danvers?

What happened exactly?

Swapped places not bodies apparently so that is Carol Danvers. And the MCU Captain Marvel. 

• 1 month later...

Watched this over the course of this week and I loved the cultural stuff, the family, that closeness of community and the fact it initially was, as somebody else said earlier in the thread, a little Spider-Man style small-scale, small stakes setting. I felt I was getting a window into something new and am really happy to see the representation - which I hope feels authentic to the culture and peoples it portrays.

Then they introduced the DODC to the story as abysmal 'dodgy agency is bad' stereotypes (did they first get a mention in one of the Spider-Man films?), the rubbish Clan Destines (who comes up with these names?!) and escalate it to a multiversal threat, because of course they did.

To a degree I actually think this was spoiled somewhat by having a superhero story attached to it, because those were the weakest elements.

I actually feel similar about this as I do about series 2 of Only Murders in the Building, which I also finished-off this week, in that both underlying stories were haphazard, not particularly interesting and didn't feel very cohesive - yet I think of the show overall quite fondly because the actual character work put into the main cast and that sense of family/closeness they have created.

Considering I have a fairly low opinion of all the Marvel TV stuff, that I would watch another series of this is probably the best compliment I can give it.

On 20/07/2022 at 10:56, Garwoofoo said:

Quite.

I've been watching Agents of SHIELD and while the quality is a bit variable, there is a huge amount of it (over 130 45-minute episodes) and the characters genuinely grow and develop over the course of seven seasons. There have been storylines in that show that are up there with the very best stuff Marvel has produced.

I don't understand why they've gone from stuff like that, that builds and develops and gains a proper fanbase, to shows like Ms Marvel with a handful of episodes that are over before they've even really begun. Even the Netflix stuff (Daredevil etc) was given time to grow.

The Disney Plus series tend to add up to more “long movie” length. Makes me wonder if most of the stories started life intended for the big screen and then got re-jigged for their new home.