IGNORED

Ms. Marvel - Disney+

Chindie

10 hours ago, Alask said:

Episode 3 spoilers

Hide contents

First thoughts: Popo's "Low stakes, neighbourhood adventure" might be at risk!

The family stuff continues to be great, if anything I think it's the normal marvel stuff that's drags it down a bit. Also anyone else think the end of the episode sells the parents a bit short? They just kind of shrug off her saying she can't tell them, despite all the stuff that's gone down. I feel like her mum and dad are brighter than that and would start putting 2 and 2 together. 

I think they already have. The (apologies if I use the wrong term because I’m an ignorant white boy) imam definitely has.

The wedding was amazing. My daughter said “why don’t we have weddings like that?!”.

On 17/06/2022 at 18:48, drmick said:

I was actually considering giving up on Ms Marvel actually- if next week offends me yet again.

What a strange thing to say, I understand perhaps not liking the show but what about it has actually offended you? Genuinely curious to know. 

I've been enjoying it, not the most exciting of shows but it's entertaining and just has a nice feel to it. Iman Vellani is brilliant in the lead role. 

Does highlight how ignorant i am/shit the UK educational system is because I've no idea about the history of Pakistan/India

Ep 3 was again lovely. Wedding was amazing. The cast are brilliant. Only thing I didn’t love was how quickly they moved the plot forward re. the

Spoiler

Djinn. Who went from “hello can you help us please?” to “you and all your loved ones must die!!” in about 20 minutes.

They should have got a lot more out of that transition. But I’ll forgive it, as it’s earned it. The whole thing is made with such love and brio.

Here’s the difference between this and another current D+ show:

Ms Marvel: a genuine passion project from all involved, which tells a novel story, in a fresh way, in a relatively tired universe.

Obi Wan Kenobi: a phoned-in effort from everyone, that shoehorns in yet another stale Skywalker story into a tired universe.

It's so good! I'm actually rather liking the differences from the comic too, as it makes it all that much more fresh. It could do with a bit more embiggening though. :D

Up to the wedding this was just more dull tedium for me. And then stuff happens! Except the stuff that happens makes Obi Wan look like a fight sequence masterpiece. I can't win really.

My comments on here have rankled a few. But I've been critical of all the Disney+ MCU shows. Ms Marvel might even turn out not to be the worst (for me)- but given that it had the blankest slate to start off with compared to the rest I had higher hopes for it. And thus it will be the one that disappoints me the most.

I won't get around to seeing episode 4 for a while due to holidays and there being many better shows around at the moment- and I'm probably going to have the remainder spoiled* somewhere.

* I am aware of the irony.....

1 hour ago, deKay said:

I think they already have. The (apologies if I use the wrong term because I’m an ignorant white boy) imam definitely has.

Ooh, if they do go with that next episode I’d be impressed.

This show has been so much fun, a real breath of fresh air in the MCU. 

The characters are likeable, the family dynamic is wonderful (that wedding scene was awesome) and I'm really enjoying them keeping this on the smaller scale (so far) in terms of location.

Also

Spoiler

Brown-Jovi :lol:

I presume we all saw the 

Spoiler

10 Rings symbol at the begining of Episode 3? With the post credit scene in Shang Chi

Spoiler

involving Captain Marvel and a discussion of the 10 Rings origin, it's looking like the Bangle comes from the same place and that's how they bring Carol and Kamala together.

I don’t know how anybody could not love this, the family stuff is the best part. The wedding was amazing, considering we’ve only seen these characters a few times it had some lovely touching moments.

11 minutes ago, Stigweard said:
Spoiler

Brown-Jovi :lol:

Oh god. I'd forgotten about that. :lol:

My wife and I both burst out laughing at that particular reveal.

I hope they don't shit on Alan Davis (not the curly haired Arsenal supporter)  if they're hinting what they seem to be hinting.

Spoiler

The Clan Destine was an Alan Davis creation about a human who fell in love with a djinn and had lots of magical half djinn children although none of the characters seem to be represented other than possibly the blue arm the bangle was found on

I'm not sure what to think of the constant friend-zoning of Bruno in this. Is it comic relief? Is it that Kamala will following a stereotypical romcom trope path of realising she had a true love all along? Or is Bruno going to be so jilted by Kamala's ignorance/indifference and go down the path of becoming a villain?

1 minute ago, drmick said:

I'm not sure what to think of the constant friend-zoning of Bruno in this. Is it comic relief? Is it that Kamala will following a stereotypical romcom trope path of realising she had a true love all along? Or is Bruno going to be so jilted by Kamala's ignorance/indifference and go down the path of becoming a villain?

Bruno is awesome, he's pretty much a shoe in for Peter Parker.

4 hours ago, Scruff said:

I hope they don't shit on Alan Davis (not the curly haired Arsenal supporter)  if they're hinting what they seem to be hinting.

Reveal hidden contents

The Clan Destine was an Alan Davis creation about a human who fell in love with a djinn and had lots of magical half djinn children although none of the characters seem to be represented other than possibly the blue arm the bangle was found on

Deep cut there, but that was what I was thinking too.

Loved episode 3. Best Marvel series, hands down.

Soundtrack is great also. Episode 3 credits song:

This creative team need to be the new Russo's.

This weeks was the weakest episode for me and I would rather watched another 20 minutes of the awesome wedding than just another boring generic fight with villains we don’t really know nothing about.

On 22/06/2022 at 09:53, Alask said:

Episode 3 spoilers

Hide contents

First thoughts: Popo's "Low stakes, neighbourhood adventure" might be at risk!

The family stuff continues to be great, if anything I think it's the normal marvel stuff that's drags it down a bit. Also anyone else think the end of the episode sells the parents a bit short? They just kind of shrug off her saying she can't tell them, despite all the stuff that's gone down. I feel like her mum and dad are brighter than that and would start putting 2 and 2 together. 

Agreed! Another lovely episode that spends more time on her relations with her family and  friends than crashy bashy smashy stuff. And when that stuff came, it all got a bit boring. 

But then she threw a great big comic book, walloping punch, which I enjoyed. And the fight scene did have some peril and emotional investment, so I can’t fault it for that. 

Her relationship with her mum, and how she just seems to be a source of disappointment and embarrassment, just really gets me. When she turns up at the end and just can’t be honest with her - man, I really felt that in the pit of my stomach. 

Great stuff. 

The colours in this show are amazing. I've been to both India and Pakistan once and it's something that I have strong memories about - as someone from the UK the colour vibrancy in everyday life is so different and cool.

shutterstock-532509535.thumb.jpg.6e7b178a6ce30b8c76fa71e1f5b74088.jpg_123751614_gettyimages-1239277666-594x594.jpg.8409a8545b277d08c108a90f98aae0ae.jpg

I watched this by myself and yet somehow the wedding scene made me feel socially awkward. Particularly the big dance number. I felt I had to pretend to be doing something else, so was casually looking at my iPad instead 😆 

That’s the only time I’ve felt alienated by the show though, it’s great.

I’ve been fortunate enough to attend a large Muslim wedding and can confirm it was pretty much exactly as shown here, only with even more aunties and vastly more food. 

For some reason I really loved Bruno just being cool and joining in with the dancing. Bruno is great. 

11 hours ago, Darwock said:

I watched this by myself and yet somehow the wedding scene made me feel socially awkward. Particularly the big dance number. I felt I had to pretend to be doing something else, so was casually looking at my iPad instead 😆 

That’s the only time I’ve felt alienated by the show though, it’s great.

Wut? Why?

I used to feel that way, pretty much with any singing in a movie. For example, Eowyn singing at the funeral in The Two Towers made me feel that way. Not any more. I think over the years I've grown to enjoy some musical movies, such as The Greatest Showman. 

21 hours ago, Darwock said:

I don’t know. I think I get embarrassed by big musical numbers done directly at the camera.

I usually feel that but in this felt it was directed at the couple, so just found it heart warming and altogether lovely.