IGNORED

Ms. Marvel - Disney+

Chindie

6 hours ago, Pelekophoros said:

Y

I think you're just arguing semantics. "I never said better! But I enjoyed them much more". #yawn

So you think Ms Marvel is better than Black Widow and Eternals, but you enjoyed Black Widow and Eternals more? What?

Here's hoping you give up watching Ms Marvel.

I was actually considering giving up on Ms Marvel actually- if next week offends me yet again. I'm an MCU loyalist- but that loyalty is neither limitless nor free. The next concern is potentially missing out on something plotwise that is crucial for a future production. But this has been so bad that I'm at the point that I will just read the Wikipedia entry ahead of the next movie.

Don't add me to ignore just yet- I'm going on a 10 day holiday abroad soon so will be a couple of weeks behind shortly- on all my shows- and this isn't going to rank high up the list of the backlog- especially as a few Paramount+ shows are going on that list next week.

This weeks episode was even better than last weeks, I still think her powers suck compared to the comic but as long as they aren’t featured too much - like in this weeks episode, then I won’t really care too much.

The actress playing Kamala really is the real star of the show, she is simply so joyful to watch and you can see she is loving every minute she gets to play a character she so obviously adores.

On 15/06/2022 at 23:41, drmick said:

Is the point of the series some sort of Home and Away with New Jersey muslims but set in the MCU but with barely anything to do with the MCU?

This is kinda why I like it. Its nice to watch something that doesn't require the knowledge of multiple movies and TV shows to enjoy. It's also a great way of bringing in new viewers to this world.

“Nothing to do with the MCU”. It’s a show about Captain Marvel’s biggest fan! Swear if it had Nick Fury dropping in every ten minutes we’d all be moaning that it’s just an extended trailer for the next MCU project.

It’s great and normalises and integrates an underrepresented culture into the universe, which has come a long way from starting off with five white boys and one eye candy.

And they snuck in the line “history is written by the oppressors” which is not something I’d expect from Disney Corp.

Just got around to this and it was fantastic. The casting is just so pitch perfect. I would have loved this as a teenager. The only bit I "did not like" was realising that I'm the same age as her parents, that talk of Bon Jovi caused me to reel in shock a bit!

This is just so joyous!

3 hours ago, NickC said:

So this may be the right time to reveal MY superpower. It's true that others have it as well, but it does seem to be extremely rare these day.

It's the power to...

Hide contents

stop watching a TV show or movie franchise that I'm not enjoying.

For example, earlier this year I watched 2 episodes of The Book Of Bobba Fett and I didn't enjoy it. It really was not my thing at all. And you know what? I just didn't watch another one. I used that time to watch something else that I did enjoy.

Not to sound too braggy, but it really is fucking awesome living with my power.

Thinking I'll go with purple for my suit and green for the cape. Who wants a selfie with me?

But if you watch The Mandalorian you have missed some crucial episodes for those characters.

13 minutes ago, drmick said:

But if you watch The Mandalorian you have missed some crucial episodes for those characters.

Yet I still managed to enjoy the Mandolorian without putting myself through hours of something I didn't like. In fairness, I think there was something I wasn't sure about, so I used Google which took a few minutes.

I know though, it's hard to understand how I do it, that's why it's a superpower.

Just now, NickC said:

Yet I still managed to enjoy the Mandolorian without putting myself through hours of something I didn't like. In fairness, I think there was something I wasn't sure about, so I used Google which took a few minutes.

I know though, it's hard to understand how I do it, that's why it's a superpower.

Everybody enjoyed the first two seasons of Mando without watching BOBF- because BOBF didn't exist.

Unless you are a time traveller from the future who has watched season 3?

So you are putting yourself through shit TV on the off chance you better understand a future, potentially equally shit TV or movie? That's some impressive dedication to the brand.

In all seriousness, it's all absolutely fine of course, I just can't relate to watching stuff I don't enjoy. 

If anything, I think it's good that Disney are finally diversifying their Marvel output a little. The Infinity Saga was great and all, but when I regularly read comics I never felt like I should be reading absolutely everything, or that everything was aimed at me.

I did read Ms. Marvel though, because like the show the comics were an absolute breath of fresh air. :D

2 hours ago, NickC said:

So you are putting yourself through shit TV on the off chance you better understand a future, potentially equally shit TV or movie? That's some impressive dedication to the brand.

I don't think anyone here does that. I think most people would agree that even the low-tier Marvel movies (Thor 2, Black Widow, Eternals) are enjoyable fluff, lifted a little by being part of something bigger. And personally I've enjoyed all the Star Wars stuff very much, up to and including Obi-Wan Kenobi.

By all means don't watch it if it's not for you, but there's no need to act like that makes you superior to the rest of us!

1 hour ago, deKay said:

As we all know, things are only good if they're very popular.

Or have white folk, apparently. :facepalm:

@drmick As Delargey has already said, we get it, you don't like this show, so kindly please stop posting in here. You're not offering anything up for debate, you're not posting anything worth discussing. Just stop, and go. Please.

3 hours ago, drmick said:

No idea if this is even a valid measurement- but apparently it's the least watched MCU Disney+ show to date:

https://comicbookmovie.com/tv/marvel/ms_marvel/ms-marvel-scores-lowest-5-day-viewership-of-any-mcu-disney-series-so-far-a194368#gs.3flii3

It’s not linked to any well known characters which won’t help draw people in, doesn’t have a big name star like Moon Knight did, and some people won’t watch it at all because it has a Pakistani lead. <insert rant about woke agenda here>

Personally, I’m interested in the next drmick update on the upcoming Ep, especially if (and why) it “offends him yet again.” I mean, in what way could it already be classed as offensive?

12 hours ago, drmick said:

No idea if this is even a valid measurement- but apparently it's the least watched MCU Disney+ show to date:

https://comicbookmovie.com/tv/marvel/ms_marvel/ms-marvel-scores-lowest-5-day-viewership-of-any-mcu-disney-series-so-far-a194368#gs.3flii3

Valid measurement of what?

I read the article, which clearly states it's the best reviewed Marvel Disney+ show to date, but that the premiere has had the lowest 5 day viewership to date.

I reckon I could come to three conclusions from that, possibly all at the same time:

1) something distracted viewers from tuning in

2) the marketing hasn't been good enough to get viewers to tune in

3) viewers are turned off by the content, despite the good review. 

It has got a better viewership rate amongst non-white audiences though. 

I think 3 could be particularly strong for both the obvious reasons and because it is clearly aimed at a different demographic than most MCU output. Not everything has to be for everyone, but there should be something for all.

I would also say a ton of people can't b arsed with marvel TV stuff in general. 

Myself and 6 of my friends who were all in on the MCU have not bothered with moonknight or this. And we are just fatigued by the dull nature of them. 

Will get round to watching it at some point maybe. But there is just too much high quality TV at the moment that all marvel studios stuff takes a back seat. 

We (my family) all loved the first two episodes. It’s a bit like live action Spiderverse. Love the upbeat tone and how vibrant the whole thing is. Best start of a Marvel series since Loki. 

I’ve been enjoying this very much too. The most fun Marvel show since Hawkeye. 

Ms Marvel the character brings a lot of the kind of low stakes, neighbourhood adventure that Spider-Man does, it scratches a similar itch. 

Episode 3 spoilers

Spoiler

First thoughts: Popo's "Low stakes, neighbourhood adventure" might be at risk!

The family stuff continues to be great, if anything I think it's the normal marvel stuff that's drags it down a bit. Also anyone else think the end of the episode sells the parents a bit short? They just kind of shrug off her saying she can't tell them, despite all the stuff that's gone down. I feel like her mum and dad are brighter than that and would start putting 2 and 2 together.