IGNORED

Ms. Marvel - Disney+

Chindie

Add me to the chorus of praise for the first episode!

Definitely the most entertainingly playful opening to a series they've done since Loki. Hopefully it can maintain the quality better than that did.

Yeah, I did a lot of pausing to look at the quick shots of signs and merchandise at the convention. :blush:

Spoiler

That giant Ant-Man head seemed to keep rolling all over the place for a very long time!

I just had another skim through some of the early issues of the comic, and I'd forgotten that in that, her first superheroic act is also saving Zoe by scooping her up with a giant hand. :D

4 hours ago, cubik said:

Unlike most Marvel releases, I don't know who the big baddy is going to be and I'm quite glad there might be some actual surprises in store.

I did spot a reference to a villain from the early issues of the comics, but I've no idea if they'll turn out to be the baddie in this series:

Spoiler

In the rooftop scene, we can see the reverse of a sign that says "Edison Electrical".

Loved the first episode. It's delightful, cheerful, and a refreshingly heartwarming tone that you don't usually get from these superhero shows or movies in general - not just MCU. I hope thry manage to keep this tone, it would be a shame if it descended into standard MCU fare in later episodes like all these D+ shows tend to do. 

It's also visually inventive and just fun to watch. It's also nice how everything seems extra colourful - over on the DC side of the tracks they're always making everything as dark and washed out as possible to make it gritty or whatever. I like it!

Speculation: looking at this first episode I suspect they didn't change her powers because of Mr Fantastic. I think it's because those light effects they use now are far far easier and cheaper to bring to life in a convincing way on a tv show budget than the stretchy embiggen powers. I can imagine those would cost a fair bit more effort to look convincing, and I can totally see then wanting to not waste a huge chunk of their budget just on the stretcho effects. 

7 hours ago, Delargey said:

I've not read the comics for s while- what are the nods?

Stuff like this:

Screenshot_20220609-064151.thumb.png.48d59293f4d88c21991639be14a495f5.png

I think the exact same dialogue was used in the show. 

7 hours ago, Delargey said:

I've not read the comics for s while- what are the nods?

I've not read the comic but I did enjoy the 'friend' wearing the comic accurate Ms Marvel costume at Avengerscon.

49 minutes ago, hmm said:

Seems like this is something we could watch with our 8 (nearly 9) year old daughter. Is it looking that way so far?

From the first ep I'd say so.

2 hours ago, Delargey said:

From the first ep I'd say so.

Yeah, definitely. The series is rated by Disney as 12+ but there was nothing in that first episode which is more than PG - no swearing, no violence, and only one oblique sex reference that I noticed. I bet it gets more violent but I don't expect it to be TFATWS Face Smashed By Shield levels.

This is just wonderful. Not even finished the fist episode but had to come in to comment. Proper laughing at loud at…

“She’s a hero”

”In a very tight suit!”

:lol:

5 minutes in and already mega impressed.

edit:

Ok, I'm not familiar with the comics backstory - have they changed the origins of her powers? I was under the impression she was originally a mutant rather than having powers from an accessory that probably sat in a chest of draws next to the ten rings for too long.

1 hour ago, Vulgar Monkey said:

Ok, I'm not familiar with the comics backstory - have they changed the origins of her powers? I was under the impression she was originally a mutant rather than having powers from an accessory that probably sat in a chest of draws next to the ten rings for too long.

Yeah in the comic she gets her powers after coming into contact with 'terrigen mist'. 

20 hours ago, Darren said:

This has the potential to be the best thing in the MCU. Just a total delight in every way.

Heard the ep 1 directors speak and they were a delight. Such a break from the usual poshos.

Artistically this series is so unique. Kamala and her friend texting and the signs and street art adapting their conversations is so trippy and amazing. 

I"m sure people out there have freeze-framed most of the episode by now, but I did just look again at the convention stuff.

Spoiler

The Ant-Man and the Wasp merch table, with an action figure branded with the movie, Marvel and Hasbro logos. I think that's classed as meta 😄

This is the only show at the moment where I'm actively excited to see the next episode, and not even out of any expectation of plot. I just want to watch more of it. Most things I'll 'get round to', but I'll be impatiently refreshing the app on Wednesday morning.

14 hours ago, iknowgungfu said:

I’m going to have to get my 7 nearly 8 year daughter into this aren’t I?

My guess is that she might find the first episode a bit long-winded and dull.

Just watched this now, best thing Marvel has done so far.

Her mother explaining how her mother has this urge to "pass on all her junk before she dies" hit home with my partner (my mother always comes with a box of things we don't need whenever she visits.)

On 12/06/2022 at 12:21, SaintAnselm said:

This was fucking awesome right to where she got her powers, I could happily just watch a show about Kamala and her family as they were just so much fun to watch.

Well, the second episode keeps this up and that's a compliment. I'm all in on everyone 😁

Aye, that was a fucking excellent episode. Kamala's dad is superb. And I was in hysterics at... 

Spoiler

The IlluminAunties 

:lol: Fucking brilliant.