IGNORED

Tokyo Vice

JohnC

https://deadline.com/video/tokyo-vice-hbo-max-trailer/

Loosely based on American journalist Jake Adelstein's book about his first hand account of being on the beat with the Tokyo Metropolitan Police. Set in the late 90s.

Adelstein is played by Ansel Elgort. Ken Watanabe is a detective in the organized crime division and mentor to Adelstein. Also features Rachel Keller, Ella Rumpf, Rinko Kikuchi, Hideaki Ito, Show Kasamatsu, Tomohisa Yamashita, Shun Sugata, Masato Hagiwara, Ayumi Tanida, and Kosuke Toyohara.

3 episodes on 7 April, then 2 each Thursday until 28 April, with 3 again.

I read the book of this a few years ago, and thought it was absolutely awful. The author comes across as an absolute bellend who thinks he’s much cooler than he actually is, and it’s not very well written. For every interesting nugget of information about Japanese culture or the Yakuza, there are ten cliches. 

However! Given that it’s Michael Mann overseeing the series, I think this has some potential, as the premise is strong and it ties into the classic Mann themes. If they have decent people writing and directing, it could be pretty good. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/04/2022 at 20:47, Sabreman said:

First episode was alright, if rather obvious. I think we're certainly in for an ego trip though.

Agreed... I am not actually thrilled but it was okay.

Tokyo Vice is an adaptation of a book by Jake Adelstein. It is his account of his time as a crime reporter in one of Japan's biggest papers. I've read the book it is based on and I've caught a few of the episodes and I can say it's very good so I'm happy to see it's coming to the BBC next month. Check it out!

I'm ignoring the "based on true events" thing and just treating it as a made up story. I knew nothing about Jake or him being a bit of a prick beforehand, but I pretty much suspected it to be the case anyway.

• 1 month later...

Ok so it turns out it's on Starzplay not the BBC, however Starzplay is currently £1.99 for 3 months on Amazon and P-Valley is also on Starzplay so well worth the £1.99 Tokyo Vice gets a bit tropy and there's some dodgy acting but otherwise it's still a decent noir type show set in a seedy Tokyo if thta's your bag. I dug it.

• 1 month later...
On 15/03/2022 at 13:30, K said:

I read the book of this a few years ago, and thought it was absolutely awful. The author comes across as an absolute bellend who thinks he’s much cooler than he actually is.

They got that bit right then.

Joking aside, I'm really enjoying this. Seems like the first episode was directed by Michael Mann himself! 

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say, I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. It is definitely an ego trip for that Adelstein guy, who in this show simultaneously comes across as as cool and hunky as Adelstein probably imagines he really was and still like bit of an annoying dickhead. But I thought it was well made and acted (the Yaks especially!) and the Japan setting and refences appeal to me.