PSA: Xbox Series S/X now downloads updates in Power Saver mode

HarryBizzle

43 minutes ago, deerokus said:

It's been like that for a while I'm sure. It's a good setup.

Think it may have been in a preview build if you are signed up. 

I’ve always keep mine in energy saver, then I noticed a while back it turning on without the X on the front lighting up. So nice not having the dreaded Xbox needing and update when u turn it on anymore and games being updated without the hassle. 

Major thanks for this. I remember doing a back of envelope calculation that showed is series x sells as well as Xbox one then the difference between the two modes is a coal power station. Absolutely nuts. 

18 minutes ago, Graham S said:

One small consequence. I sometimes install new games from the iOS app. Instead of installing immediately, it waited until 3:40am before doing so. 

I just changed my settings and Standby said it was needed for remote features. 

Those "Your Xbox needs a 3GB update" messages at startup every few weeks had always been an annoyance. In recent weeks I wondered why my XSX hadn't done it for a while. Now I think that it HAD been updating itself, because apparently it can do that in Energy Saver mode now. Very useful!

In the last generation - and still for PS5 - the big sacrifice of fully shutting down your console is that you don't get to quick-resume the game you were last playing. But XSX's Quick Resume feature suspends and resumes games even with full shutdown. So there's now less reason to keep your XSX in half-on mode.

Yeah, WFH so remote stuff not an issue. Totally staying in eco mode now. Probably should have just done this to start with, it boots from cold as quickly as my XB1 comes out of standby.

I've had mine in energy saver since day 2 of owning it. I had it in instant mode at first but was shocked at how much heat it was giving off and how hard the fan was spinning if I put my ear against it when if was 'off'.

One big advantage of switching to the Energy Saver mode is that it seems to make the Xbox's HDMI-CEC features work properly with my TV (an LG CX).

In Instant-On mode, switching the Xbox on would turn on the TV, but not switch inputs to the Xbox. And switching the Xbox off would sometimes turn the TV off, but sometimes not.

In Energy Saver mode it all seems to work as it should. I'm actually really pleased by this.

I have been in the preview program for ages and completely missed this. Having just had my new energy bill quoting me over double in price I'm looking for ways to save energy. Which also means waving goodbye to my plasma I reckon. That thing is power hungry and a nice OLED is just the ticket.

1 hour ago, Harsin said:

I've had mine in energy saver since day 2 of owning it. I had it in instant mode at first but was shocked at how much heat it was giving off and how hard the fan was spinning if I put my ear against it when if was 'off'.

Periodically, as it fetched updates? Shouldn't be generating that story of heat all the time. Or rather, mine doesn't (N=1,etc).

Dunno if it was downloading updates. It shouldn’t have been as I downloaded everything that first day and it was acting the same when I went to bed as when I got up in the morning when ai switched to Energy Saving instead. The thread on Resetera has lot of people reporting heat and fan all the time when in instant on mode.

On 12/03/2022 at 20:27, moosegrinder said:

Hmm. Switched it to Energy Saver and the downloads stopped. Am I being stupid and my console's not been updated yet?

Same here actually. Nothing happens when I put it in energy saver mode. Downloads stop and so do updates. I'm in the preview program so definitely have an up to date firmware.

On the basis of Graham’s post above, it might wait until the middle of the night, when electricity is cheaper, before it downloads stuff. 

I've had updates but any actual download will stop when turning off my Xbox which I guess is correct.

Now, system and game updates can be downloaded during Energy Saver mode, further saving energy.

4 hours ago, K said:

On the basis of Graham’s post above, it might wait until the middle of the night and electricity is cheaper before it downloads stuff. 

Yeah, if your router has an app to let you monitor bandwidth, you can see it tends to update at night. That's the only time mine gave off heat when not on. And, of course, dissipating that heat is exactly what you want.

5 hours ago, K said:

On the basis of Graham’s post above, it might wait until the middle of the night, when electricity is cheaper, before it downloads stuff. 

4 hours ago, Hitcher said:

I've had updates but any actual download will stop when turning off my Xbox which I guess is correct.

I left mine on a couple of nights ago downloading the full Flight Sim.  In the morning I switched it on and it had only downloaded about a third of it so it appears that it switched off after a time (It is set to eco mode and 1 hour idle IIRC) and didn't 'wake' to do anything in the middle of the night.

On a previous night a local transfer I was running from my old OneX also stopped though I guess that could have been due to the oneX shutting down.

I tried a remote install from the Android app too (Tetris Effect) and that also did not start downloading til I manually switched the console on several hours later

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong of have the wrong expectations but eco mode does not seem to be downloading stuff as expected.

It now downloads system and game updates while in energy saver mode, where previously it wouldn't download anything.

It won't download whole games. People just seemed to assume that it would.

35 minutes ago, Quest said:

It now downloads system and game updates while in energy saver mode, where previously it wouldn't download anything.

Ahh right I see. That’s still pretty good then! 

14 hours ago, Quest said:

That explains it then.  Annoying that it won't continue downloading existing "whole game" stuff in the queue

Does it service the queue at night? As I said upthread, it would happily let me install a game from iOS, but it only did it at 3am. I haven't experimented with the queue, as I ended up putting it back into Putin apologist / climate change denier mode.