Elden Ring - How do I? thread

Kryptonian

7 minutes ago, JPL said:

I've been watching a few boss fights on YouTube, and a few of them seem to pop something at the start making loads of different coloured bars appear in the middle of the screen. I presume it's some kind of buff to their stats, but what exactly is it and how do I do it?

Flask of Wondrous Physick I guess? It's the custom flask that you can apply various perks to by mixing a physick after resting at a grace.

28 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

Flask of Wondrous Physick I guess? It's the custom flask that you can apply various perks to by mixing a physick after resting at a grace.

Hmm, maybe. I’m sure I’ve used that but can’t remember all the coloured bars appearing on screen.

I’ve not really looked at it since first getting it though. Is it something I should be using and does anyone have any tips on how best to set it up?

In fact, outside of my two main flask, I don’t really use any consumables at all. Is there an idiots guide to understanding it all anywhere?

37 minutes ago, JPL said:

I've been watching a few boss fights on YouTube, and a few of them seem to pop something at the start making loads of different coloured bars appear in the middle of the screen. I presume it's some kind of buff to their stats, but what exactly is it and how do I do it?

Talismans and gear that buff your stats. I don't think it's anything you have to manually activate like a Rune Arc or Physiks. Depending on what gear I have equipped I get a stack of those stat bars when I spawn.

I found the Physick flask a bit confusing, so ignored it for a while, but it's really handy.  The items you get to power it generally come from Erdtree Avatars or around minor Erdtrees.  You'll probably have a load in your inventory by now.  You get the option to put two of these items in the flask, giving you two simultaneous buffs when you use the flask.  You only get to use the flask once between sites of grace.  There's a buff that basically puts a shield around you allowing you to take one hit with virtually no damage.  There's one that reduces the FP cost of everything to nothing for x seconds.  One that gives you HP recovery for x seconds.  There are loads more with different effects, usually time limited.

In general play it can be handy to have the shield type buff always in the flask and if you get to a scary point where you think you might die or need a desperate run to a new grace, you can pop the flask and give yourself an extra bit of free protection.  For tough bosses you can do a custom mix of two buffs that might suit that particular boss fight, and chug the flask at the start or midway through the fight to give you a bit more damage / protection.

For a melee build like mine with low FP, the one that negates FP cost allows me to summon ashes to a boss fight that I otherwise wouldn't have the FP for.

It's something I don't use all the time, like the health flasks, but only in desperate situations, or when I'm stuck on a boss.

I use the Physick flask with the shield as my last gasp effort on bosses, when I've used up all my flasks and I'm on no HP. Had some nailbiters where the flask has saved me from certain death in the final moments of a fight and gone on to clutch it. In the overworld its also handy if you have the 'save my runes' tear, then it acts like one of those twigs where if you die whilst its active, you won't lose the 100,000 runes you were lugging around.

14 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

I use the Physick flask with the shield as my last gasp effort on bosses, when I've used up all my flasks and I'm on no HP. Had some nailbiters where the flask has saved me from certain death in the final moments of a fight and gone on to clutch it. In the overworld its also handy if you have the 'save my runes' tear, then it acts like one of those twigs where if you die whilst its active, you won't lose the 100,000 runes you were lugging around.

Ohhhh, I didn't notice there was a 'save my runes' tear.  Very handy!

13 hours ago, K said:

Is there a point of no return with regard to the frenzied flame ending?

Ive just killed 

Hide contents

Mohg at the bottom of the Leyndell sewers, and I assume I’ll get teleported somewhere if I open the chest.

Am I going to be committed to anything if I go any further, or do I have to make an active choice?

Yes and no and you're not quite at the correct area yet

Spoiler

There's a hidden wall beyond the chest with another area to get through that has the Three Fingers at the end

After interacting with the fingers you are then locked from all other endings unless you get the item from completing Millicent's quest. That will in turn allow you to get another item to reverse the FF.

Warning though, Millicent's quest has steps that can easily be missed (starts in Caelid, finishes in The Haligtree/Elphael area with a few stops in-between) so you'd best check that it's still open otherwise you will be locked in to the FF ending.

After you beat the last boss, you can make your decision then (remember to rest at the Grace). Until this point, if you have the required item your choice will only affect a couple of cut scenes. You can fast travel away, use the item to reverse the FF and come back but that would be a one way choice. 

4 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

Ohhhh, I didn't notice there was a 'save my runes' tear.  Very handy!

A handy use for this (was posted earlier in the thread by someone else) is that if you have died, it will also stop you losing them if you die before collecting them

Are there any rewards tied to doing PvP in this, like with dark souls you would have to do X number of successful multiplayer sessions to get some miracles? (As close to yes or no answers as possible would be great, thanks! lol)

Two NPCs that encouraged me to do PvP:

Spoiler

White Mask Varre gave me something after doing one successful invasion, but he’s disappeared since then so I assume there’s nothing further to be gained by using the bloody finger?

And I’ve just accessed the Recusant stuff, but I’m on the final task and they have all been scripted invasions rather than real ones. It’s probably too early to ask but I see lots of Recusant invasions when doing co-op, so is there a minimum number of successful invasions you have to do or anything?

I hope not, my character is built around low health and a big shield, which sucks for PvP so I don’t want to have to do it.

9 hours ago, Darwock said:

Are there any rewards tied to doing PvP in this, like with dark souls you would have to do X number of successful multiplayer sessions to get some miracles? (As close to yes or no answers as possible would be great, thanks! lol)

Two NPCs that encouraged me to do PvP:

Hide contents

White Mask Varre gave me something after doing one successful invasion, but he’s disappeared since then so I assume there’s nothing further to be gained by using the bloody finger?

And I’ve just accessed the Recusant stuff, but I’m on the final task and they have all been scripted invasions rather than real ones. It’s probably too early to ask but I see lots of Recusant invasions when doing co-op, so is there a minimum number of successful invasions you have to do or anything?

I hope not, my character is built around low health and a big shield, which sucks for PvP so I don’t want to have to do it.

As far as I know there's only one.

Spoiler

White Mask Varre gave you those fingers.  After you complete three invasions of other players' worlds (doesn't matter if you beat them or not) you can return to him and he'll give you a reward.

1 hour ago, Ste Pickford said:

As far as I know there's only one.

Reveal hidden contents

White Mask Varre gave you those fingers.  After you complete three invasions of other players' worlds (doesn't matter if you beat them or not) you can return to him and he'll give you a reward.

Thanks! I assume that is what I already got…

Spoiler

I returned to him after my first attempt (which failed) and he didn’t respond, so I kept going until I succeeded and then he gave me the white cloth and told me to murder someone.

If so, then I don’t have to stress about PvP? Great news!

Spoiler

But doesn’t quite compensate for my guilt of having murdered the blind maiden.

11 minutes ago, Darwock said:

Hide contents

I returned to him after my first attempt (which failed) and he didn’t respond, so I kept going until I succeeded and then he gave me the white cloth and told me to murder someone.

Hide contents

Yeah, you've got the item.  You can still do something more with it, but no PVP is required any more, as far as I know.

4 hours ago, Harrisown said:

I’m now about to start the final push for the end. When do I need to save scum? Is it clear?

Spoiler

After you beat EB, rest at the Grace before you do anything, then do what you need to do. You'll need to go back outside to reverse the FF ending so you must remember to activate the Grace otherwise you can't get back

5 hours ago, Darwock said:

Reveal hidden contents

Hide contents

you er didnt need to kill anybody to get the blood :unsure:

Spoiler

you can get it from the starting area by warping back there from the four belfries...if you pick the right one

5 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Forgot I bought this off a forumite, been too busy with Hitman on GP 🤣 Any handy tips to keep in mind when I start out?

pick the vagabond as a start class then unequip the halbard so you are at "medium weight" as this start class has good armour and shield. And then when you can put some points into vigor to get extra health, that should be your first few level ups!

Argh, 120 hrs into this now and still 'enjoying' it but am hitting some real walls now.

Spoiler

Dragons with red lightning in the collapsed azure place? Level 115, greatsword +23 and hardly scratch it. Also Beast Clergyman? which seems ridiculous. Have switched to rivers of blood +9 lately which is pretty nice. I have the best armor in the game (it seems, godricks stuff). 

I have another question about a suitable order to tackle different parts of the game, if I could get as near to a yes or no answer as possible it would be much appreciated - on the Recusant quest:

Spoiler

I have got the red letter marking the final request to finish the quest, but the target is off to the east in an area I don’t have access to yet. All my explorations seems to indicate the path to the east will be opened up by going through Leyndell, the capital.

However Leyndell also seems kind of like it’s going to be the end of the game, all the NPC people are saying stuff like “go to the Erdtree, become Elden Lord!” and that appears to be in Leyndell. I want to finish the side quests and explore the map *before* I finish the game. I’m over 200 hours in so even though it feels like I have lots left to do I’m also expecting it could end at any moment.

Should I crack on with Leyndell or should I be exploring elsewhere?

1 hour ago, Darwock said:

I have another question about a suitable order to tackle different parts of the game, if I could get as near to a yes or no answer as possible it would be much appreciated - on the Recusant quest:

Hide contents

I have got the red letter marking the final request to finish the quest, but the target is off to the east in an area I don’t have access to yet. All my explorations seems to indicate the path to the east will be opened up by going through Leyndell, the capital.

However Leyndell also seems kind of like it’s going to be the end of the game, all the NPC people are saying stuff like “go to the Erdtree, become Elden Lord!” and that appears to be in Leyndell. I want to finish the side quests and explore the map *before* I finish the game. I’m over 200 hours in so even though it feels like I have lots left to do I’m also expecting it could end at any moment.

Should I crack on with Leyndell or should I be exploring elsewhere?

You can carry on to that marker without fear of ending the game suddenly. There is a good chunk of stuff left after Leyndell, although you are into the home stretch then.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so close to finishing this now but am totally stuck on the final boss...

Spoiler

Am about Level 145. I have a +25 greatsword and +10 rivers of blood sword to pick from. I also have the blastemphous blade at +7 but find it awful (I read it's great for both stages of this fight) . I have the best summons (mimic and that final evagol one BUT with that last one I don't have enough FP to use it :(. Not sure if it's worth trying to rebirth, have already done that about 10 times and worry I won't find another larvel tear.

I'm currently flipping between 3 major bosses. The red haired woman, the 2 headed snake and the final boss. With that final boss, at best I can get through the first guy with about 25% left on my summon and 7 health flasks. The beast I just find so incredibly hard, at best I can knock off about 30% from it. I've read so much about it, watched so many videos about all the different attacks but am still bad at it.. Am certainly post attempt 50 now.

Should I be leveling up still? I guess I should stick with the 2 headed beast but it's so annoying how you have to spend about 1-2mins to get there every time.

15 minutes ago, Capwn said:

Hide contents

Am about Level 145. I have a +25 greatsword and +10 rivers of blood sword to pick from. I also have the blastemphous blade at +7 but find it awful (I read it's great for both stages of this fight) . I have the best summons (mimic and that final evagol one BUT with that last one I don't have enough FP to use it :(. Not sure if it's worth trying to rebirth, have already done that about 10 times and worry I won't find another larvel tear.

I'm currently flipping between 3 major bosses. The red haired woman, the 2 headed snake and the final boss. With that final boss, at best I can get through the first guy with about 25% left on my summon and 7 health flasks. The beast I just find so incredibly hard, at best I can knock off about 30% from it. I've read so much about it, watched so many videos about all the different attacks but am still bad at it.. Am certainly post attempt 50 now.

Should I be leveling up still? I guess I should stick with the 2 headed beast but it's so annoying how you have to spend about 1-2mins to get there every time.

Spoiler

You could level up further but you might not see a huge amount of difference. Although I finished the game at Lv150 - 50 Vigor, 40 Mind, 50 Endurance, 50 Strength. I had to respec and boost Mind for a certain weapon skill, so you might have to do the same for your summon - but that's a big risk if you respec and don't find it much help.

For the second part of the final boss I ended up racing to out-DPS him; going in as much as I dared so that I got plenty of damage in between flask sips. You might find that you're playing conservatively and eating damage whilst missing opportunities to get in. I've got a clip here with my stats for the final boss.

You got this! :) 

45 minutes ago, Capwn said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I was about 126, for the final boss, so it can be done at that level. To add to the DPS talk, If you push forward and sprint during the cutscene you can belt towards both stages and get a good few swings in. And have you tried the Wild Swing weapon ash? If you get to the side and behind the Beast you can swing like mad for a while pretty much untouched. You need to know when to bail though. Listen for the lightning attacks and book it.

If you are using summon ashes I would recommend stopping - they add chaos and make the boss harder to understand, and instead do a few runs where your only aim is to 1) stay close, and 2) stay alive. Don't try and fight back to begin with, and just instead dodge and block for as long as possible. After a few runs of that you'll be fuming that your not attacking in the wide openings. So start doing so. Then once your happy do a proper run where you go hard and press the advantage. Then try again with a summon and you'll wipe the floor with them.

22 hours ago, Capwn said:

I also have the blastemphous blade at +7 but find it awful

The key to the blasphemous blade is to use the Taker's Flame - it hits *hard* and restores some health in the process. So make sure you have decent mind and faith stats to ramp it up.

Had another stab at final boss yesterday and failed...

Spoiler

- Managed to rebirth and can now use the black knife tiche summon, it DOES seem better so that's good

- About 8 attempts at part 1 of 2 of final boss, was trying to play without summon most of the time. Trying to learn the patterns. I really suck at learning the moves/patterns, I don't get it, like the one where he jumps in the air and slams down. The ONLY way I can see to avoid that is to hope you are far enough to run away from it when he starts doing it? That's what most of this game's fights are like to me, they just boil down to luck, avoiding being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I don't see patterns. I don't see the start of animations quick enough to dodge. I don't have strong reaction skills.

- Had 3 more attempts at 2 headed snake thing in tornado land. Can get it down to about 30-40% health at most.

- I have 40 vigor, 20 strength, 45 dex, 22 Mind, 50 endurance....something like that. I'm using rivers of blood

I should take photos of my setup when I have time

24 minutes ago, Capwn said:

Hide contents

- Managed to rebirth and can now use the black knife tiche summon, it DOES seem better so that's good

- About 8 attempts at part 1 of 2 of final boss, was trying to play without summon most of the time. Trying to learn the patterns. I really suck at learning the moves/patterns, I don't get it, like the one where he jumps in the air and slams down. The ONLY way I can see to avoid that is to hope you are far enough to run away from it when he starts doing it? That's what most of this game's fights are like to me, they just boil down to luck, avoiding being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I don't see patterns. I don't see the start of animations quick enough to dodge. I don't have strong reaction skills.

- Had 3 more attempts at 2 headed snake thing in tornado land. Can get it down to about 30-40% health at most.

- I have 40 vigor, 20 strength, 45 dex, 22 Mind, 50 endurance....something like that. I'm using rivers of blood

Spoiler

All of Radogan's moves can be dodged, but annoyingly the timing between him winding up and actually hitting you is different for ever single one. The jumping in the air slamming down move, you just have to roll as he's dropping. He'll still create the same impact but it won't hit you. I seemed to find that one the easiest to dodge actually. It was the one where he lifted his foot up and slams it down quickly that I could never avoid. And also the end of the three swipe move where he paused for a bloody age before actually attacking. I would always get antsy and roll too early. He's a pain in the butt for sure.

If you've got anything that inflicts scarlet rot that might help.

6 hours ago, Capwn said:

Hide contents

You really need high Arcane for Rivers of Blood or Faith for the Blasphemous Blade. They ain't great without those.