IGNORED

Elden Ring - How do I? thread

Kryptonian

22 minutes ago, Jolly said:

Famous last words, but I think I'm getting towards the end and have two areas to explore at present...

Reveal hidden contents

Consecrated Snowfields / Halingtree 

and

Mountaintop of the Giants 

Which one of these two is 'The Way'? I want to make sure I explore the other side fully before progressing! Thanks in advance. 

Spoiler

Mountaintops is the way, but I would 100% recommend doing it first!

I feel like I’m doing things all out of the expected order. Ended up in MP and beat the boss there and now back in AP and I’m all kinds of over levelled, then I remembered I did actually get to VM but had jumped back to the round table for something and then accidentally finished the Varre quest and then completely forgot I was at VM and that’s why I ended up at MP…..

Being able to one-shot enemies for a bit after some horrid poison swampy blood rot action is quite a nice respite and who gives a fuck about the ‘correct’ order really. 

I think I might be obsessed with this game a little bit. It consumes my thoughts when I’m not playing it and whilst that has happened before (Skyrim, Bloodborne, Witcher 3, Destiny) this feels like a real once in a lifetime experience. It really is so special. 

34 minutes ago, jonamok said:

And if Jolly hasn’t explored

Hide contents

Consecrated Snowfield yet, how do they even know about the Haligtree?

😉

Spoiler

I've not explored the westside of the Snowfields and literally got the warp to the Haligtree this morning before teleporting back out immediately 😁

I've just made it across the big old chain bridge on the Giants side. 

8 minutes ago, StumpyJohn said:

Is there any use for golden seeds after you have maxed out the number of flasks?

Doesn't appear to be no. I had 11 left over on my first character which seems like a lot.

10 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

You get there by...

Reveal hidden contents

warping from the Four Belfries in western Liurnia. Also,

Reveal hidden contents

it's nothing special. It's where you started the game.

you need to go there tho to get to the Best Rune Farm 

1 hour ago, Number 28 said:

You get there by...

Reveal hidden contents

warping from the Four Belfries in western Liurnia. Also,

Reveal hidden contents

it's nothing special. It's where you started the game.

Spoiler

You say nothing special, I say,

Time for revenge.

5 hours ago, Number 28 said:

Assuming you didn't beat him the first time. 😎

Reveal hidden contents

I did not beat him the first time.

@scottcr I'm not actually sure what you mean? Something to do with the spirit summon?

Spoiler

What actually happens if you beat him first time? Do you die in some pre-scripted event? Because when you return via the Belfry there's no way out apart from returning to a Grace site, as far as I could tell.

Bear with me here, as I don’t really know what my question is… I’m starting to feel a little disappointed in how open the game is, simply because it’s not too clear what order I’m supposed to approach it in, and some of the areas/bosses I’ve done recently have been anticlimactic. I have apparently overlevelled (despite doing my best to stay low) by going to tougher areas that I found first.

Then at the same time I meet some enemies that are apparently right in my path, that absolutely destroy me in one hit and I can barely do any damage to. This indicates I still need to level up a whole lot more. But if I do that just to fight these ‘roadblock’ enemies it seems like I could be neutering my experience for lots of the rest of the game.

The game is dropping hints as to where I should go next after killing two main bosses, but that takes me on a road away from other areas I expected to come first. If you just follow the game guidance to the end does it leave large chunks of the map unexplored? Are these optional areas? 

in other games in the series I would expect to be nearing the end of NG by level 75ish, right now in Elden Ring I’m 65 and I’ve found a few areas to be a cakewalk recently - yet there are still these obvious enemies that are way out of my league.

At what level should I be looking at going for the game clear? Is Caelid an exception as that’s where a lot of the tougher stuff has been, but it’s right on the doorstep of where I started. I blame my early exploration of that place for making a lot of Liurnia too easy. No spoilers please!

6 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

Hide contents

What actually happens if you beat him first time? Do you die in some pre-scripted event? Because when you return via the Belfry there's no way out apart from returning to a Grace site, as far as I could tell.

You walk to the end of a path,

Spoiler

the cliff collapses and you die. Classic Fromsoft trolling. 

4 hours ago, Darwock said:

At what level should I be looking at going for the game clear? Is Caelid an exception as that’s where a lot of the tougher stuff has been, but it’s right on the doorstep of where I started. I blame my early exploration of that place for making a lot of Liurnia too easy. No spoilers please!

Caelid appears to be entirely optional but it's an area you will gain several levels in. It is quite a tough area despite being attached to the starting zone.  I too cleared it after the Lakes and now find myself overpowered in what I assume is the 'proper' route through the game. There are still a handful of enemies in Caelid that I found very difficult. 

From the northern side of the lakes I also did a lengthy questline that takes you to multiple new locations, which will level you like mad. 

I'm level 94 now and most enemies I'm able to kill a single combo. That said I've just about cleared what I assume is another one of the major boss areas\ dungeons and the difficulty seemed a little more balanced. 

8 minutes ago, PeteJ said:

Caelid appears to be entirely optional but it's an area you will gain several levels in. It is quite a tough area despite being attached to the starting zone.  I too cleared it after the Lakes and now find myself overpowered in what I assume is the 'proper' route through the game. There are still a handful of enemies in Caelid that I found very difficult. 

From the northern side of the lakes I also did a lengthy questline that takes you to multiple new locations, which will level you like mad. 

I'm level 94 now and most enemies I'm able to kill a single combo. That said I've just about cleared what I assume is another one of the major boss areas\ dungeons and the difficulty seemed a little more balanced. 

Thanks, that’s kind of the tip I was looking for to know I can safely ignore Caelid until much later on. Cheers!

Just an aside, but I’ve taken to blowing 10s of 1000s of runes on arrows to put in storage, rather than improving stats or just carrying them around with me. The toughness of some of those individual enemies made me wonder if I was making a mistake.

I enjoy offering co-op support to people after I’ve cleared an area but you earn so many runes that way it would be very easy to get overpowered super fast. I wish you just got the rune arcs.

4 hours ago, Darwock said:

Bear with me here, as I don’t really know what my question is… I’m starting to feel a little disappointed in how open the game is, simply because it’s not too clear what order I’m supposed to approach it in, and some of the areas/bosses I’ve done recently have been anticlimactic. I have apparently overlevelled (despite doing my best to stay low) by going to tougher areas that I found first.

Then at the same time I meet some enemies that are apparently right in my path, that absolutely destroy me in one hit and I can barely do any damage to. This indicates I still need to level up a whole lot more. But if I do that just to fight these ‘roadblock’ enemies it seems like I could be neutering my experience for lots of the rest of the game.

The game is dropping hints as to where I should go next after killing two main bosses, but that takes me on a road away from other areas I expected to come first. If you just follow the game guidance to the end does it leave large chunks of the map unexplored? Are these optional areas? 

in other games in the series I would expect to be nearing the end of NG by level 75ish, right now in Elden Ring I’m 65 and I’ve found a few areas to be a cakewalk recently - yet there are still these obvious enemies that are way out of my league.

Expect to be lvl 150ish as you get towards the end. 65 is still very fragile, don't worry. There are bosses scattered about (open world, evergaols and catacombs etc) that will wreck you no matter what level you are. If you're finding it too easy, downgrade your weapon. I was a bit OP when I got to Altus so messed about with some other weapons and ended up loving the Nagakiba, now that's my main weapon.

Yeah, Caelid is generally a lot higher than Liurnia and even Altus. Have you been to any 'underground' areas? (trying not to spoil) They were generally a lot harder than Liurnia too and I seemed to do them all in a bit of an extended run so I was way overlevelled for a lot if it, but it's fine. Like I say, you'll still run across enemies who flatten you when you aren't expecting it. The game is never easy for long and the best advice is just wander around and adventure!

If you really want a more general guide to the order of things, this may help. Beware spoilers! this shows the whole map opened up so if you are going in completely blind, don't click.

Spoiler

game_progress_route_map_elden_ring_wiki_

I won’t click that but appreciate the extra info.

I have done some underground stuff, so far it’s been just about in my comfort zone for needing to be stealthy and avoid group fights, but still able to handle individuals. I got to the end of one particular path and found a lift which took me back to

Spoiler

Caelid, and a frankly nightmarishly high level bear that took me around 45 minutes to kill with chip damage and bloodloss. That’s part of what prompted my post.

From the smithing stones that you find, and other clues from the items you find there, I feel that the southern half of Caelid was designed to be done after Liurnia but before Altus, whereas the northern part of Caelid is intended for a bit later on.

5 hours ago, Number 28 said:

You walk to the end of a path,

Hide contents

the cliff collapses and you die. Classic Fromsoft trolling. 

Spoiler

Yeah I experienced that trying to get the butterflies :lol: - someone on Rllmuk had even left a 'death ahead' message there but it wasn't directional. I'll have to look up on Youtube to see if anyone has recorded doing it for the first time for the lolz.

21 hours ago, Polmon said:

Apologies if it was already asked and answered, but did anyone figure out how to get to the structure due West from stormveil Castle? 

There is an item that is essential for one of the NPC quests there.

7 minutes ago, StumpyJohn said:

I guess I must have missed that quest as when I went there it was empty

It's in the area where previously there was a locked door. You can get it whether or not you do the quest

3 hours ago, StumpyJohn said:

Ah, I vaguely remember a corpse sat down with a message or item?

There's a corpse of a maiden that gives you an item when you first wake but after you exit the building, somewhere on the left is a locked door behind which

Spoiler

you'll find an Ash of War and Quest item. This door only opens when you return using the Gate at The Four Belfries and beat the original 1st boss. The maiden's corpse in the first room can also be used as part of another side quest

4 hours ago, Sane said:

I want to go to the area below Caelid, is there a way to do that from that part of the world or do I get there later? 

Yes, but it depends which bit you want to get to. Some of it you can access straight away, some more opens up when you

Spoiler

beat Radahn.