IGNORED

Elden Ring - How do I? thread

Kryptonian

I have just found the Mimic Ash and I'm doubting whether to use it or not. I love the concept, it sounds a lot of fun to play around with, but I heard it's so good it will make the game too easy.

So far I've been using Oleg and he's already quite strong, huge help during boss fights. It feels a little like cheating sometimes, but I'm not so hardcore that I will not use something the game gives me to overcome the challenge. 

I guess what I'm asking is, how OP is Mimic compared to other strong summons? 

59 minutes ago, Sane said:

I have just found the Mimic Ash and I'm doubting whether to use it or not. I love the concept, it sounds a lot of fun to play around with, but I heard it's so good it will make the game too easy.

So far I've been using Oleg and he's already quite strong, huge help during boss fights. It feels a little like cheating sometimes, but I'm not so hardcore that I will not use something the game gives me to overcome the challenge. 

Stick with Oleg for as long as it's viable, then switch to Mimic, or one of the other high-level summons, when you feel the need; if you're exploring thoroughly then you'll fine more than enough upgrade gloveworts.

Summons make the game easier, there's no two ways about it, but more because of how much they draw the enemy's aggro than because of the damage they dish out. This becomes more important in the late game when enemies hit very hard and are very aggressive. In that regard, the best summon is the one which has the tankiest health bar, can take the most punishment and distracts the enemy the most. A lot of the time this is the mimic, but not always.

I've only really used summons for boss fights, but had a lovely time with my mimic the other night in a little fort in Caelid.  I got to the roof of the place, and there was a big empty courtyard. I knew there would be surprise enemies from the number of messages dropped down, and the summon sign was up, so I summoned my mimic and we both wandered around absolutely murdering the ghost knights that popped up.  

It just felt really cool, walking along, and looking round to see a duplicate of me ambling along beside me, watching my back. Like a little gang of tough guys.

1 hour ago, Sane said:

I have just found the Mimic Ash and I'm doubting whether to use it or not. I love the concept, it sounds a lot of fun to play around with

Exactly that, the Mimic is fun and you'll enjoy experimenting with its loadout - it encourages you to use items from your inventory that you'd otherwise overlook, and think a bit more about your Talismans and Physiks/Aromatics. There's something really satisfying about seeing your mimic use spells and items that you equipped deliberately for it and it makes boss fights more varied and tactical. Instead of being brickwalled and frustrated you can try completely new approaches by varying the mimic's loadout. It's awesome to see it healing itself in the middle of a fight and casting spells or using special moves.

I actively seek out fights that I might have missed now just to unleash the +10 mimic on them and am pushing forward to NG+ to enjoy those early boss fights again. I don't even bother with human summons any more.

Hard to go back to the other spirits once you've got used to the mimic, though. Kind of makes the others irrelevant.

I used mimic+10 in my own playthrough and it still didn’t turn everything into a free win, although I often wore light armour so the two of us may have been a bit squishy.

On 13/04/2022 at 08:24, Lovelyman said:

Is there a good critical items checklist by area somewhere, so that once i think I've rinsed somewhere I can take a look at what I might have missed?

I use https://mapgenie.io/elden-ring for any tricksy stuff and they have a checklist. The rate at which items and bosses appear in this game, it's almost impossible to track but the map is pretty amazing for once you've rinsed an area.

Can be fiddly on mobile due to sheer volume of info on the page but is lovely on a desktop.

Luhtel is my bro right now, mainly for his invis ability. 

Thinking I should probably look to level up a ranged summon really. Any recommendations? I’ve got a choice of a couple of puppets from the magician guy at Rannis rise but I’m crippled with anxiety and indecision on which one to get. 

56 minutes ago, KartoffelKopf said:

Luhtel is my bro right now, mainly for his invis ability. 

Thinking I should probably look to level up a ranged summon really. Any recommendations? I’ve got a choice of a couple of puppets from the magician guy at Rannis rise but I’m crippled with anxiety and indecision on which one to get. 

There's a pretty good bird one that's not too hard to get, which is situationally very useful.

Spoiler

You get it from the place where you start the game, if you return there via the four belfries.

20 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

There's a pretty good bird one that's not too hard to get, which is situationally very useful.

Hide contents

You get it from the place where you start the game, if you return there via the four belfries.

I levelled this one up to 10 - where do you find it useful?

Also where do I find Tiche?

Flying enemies! 

Spoiler

If you make your way up to Altus Plateau via the alt route (not the Dectus lift) then there are some of the singing bats near the top, just before the Wurm, which I found quite tricky at my level, so the bird was really useful there.  There's also a tricky fort in Caelid (where you get half of the Dectus life medallion) with quite a few of the same enemies on one room.  You can run past them, but if you want to fight them, this summon is handy.  Basically flying enemies that most summons can't reach.

@Alaskthanks for that Bloodhound weapon, that thing's well good. Tad slow, but at +4 it's a beast. Not sure if I'll stick with it (am kind of aiming for a proper def build which might mean some kind of spear to accompany the shield).

36 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

I levelled this one up to 10 - where do you find it useful?

Also where do I find Tiche?

Evergoal in an area in Limgrave you can only reach by following Rani's quest.

8 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

I’ve just downloaded the game and plan to play through on Steam Deck,

Are there any beginners tips you wish you’d know before starting out?

Shortly after starting there will be a hole in the ground with a ghost sitting next to it. Down the hole is the tutorial area, so make sure you go down there.

On 14/04/2022 at 08:02, Sane said:

Mimic Ash makes the game easier  but it does not make the game easy. 

I used Mimic for a bunch of bosses. It takes the edge off but it definitely doesn't turn everything into a free win. If you try and sit back to let it do the work it will get wrecked, even when levelled-up. (Although that might be because of my own gear selection...)

That said, I didn't use many other ashes so I'm not sure how it compares...

Is there a way to reduce the FP cost of summons?  I presumed that the Carian Filigreed Crest talisman did it, but just tried now and it doesn't seem to. The effect does say it lowers the FP cost of 'skills', so presumably not summons.

Not quite what you are asking, but you can use the physick flask to reduce all FP costs to zero briefly which gives you long enough to use any summon you want without any mind investment.

On 13/04/2022 at 08:50, Lovelyman said:

Thanks! Yeah I've been using that and agree it's great (the walkthroughs could do with a bit of clarity in places, but that's nit picking). 

Good to know there's nothing else. 

Not hugely bothered about spoilers once I think I've done an area. 

Cheers!

This guy is good, once I've done an area I've enjoyed his videos

https://youtube.com/c/DomtasticGaming

I've found the mimic summon far too weak, it gets killed straight away in most fights as it keeps going in and attacking rather than using the tools I've been using.  So Oleg has been working for me, will swap with Tiche once I've unlocked her, but I'll be damned if I can beat that boss.

Otherwise I'm currently in War-Dead catacombs, which is a really cool concept (and lots of free runes if you wait long enough) but it has some tough enemies and the boss is a dick. Taken it down to one hit away twice now but the grab attack kills you in one. I hated this boss the first time around (and seen it two other times in the game world so far), probably my least favourite fight as it's too big in a small space. Grr. 

Edit - yet again posted in the wrong thread

On 16/04/2022 at 08:12, CovisGod said:

I’ve just downloaded the game and plan to play through on Steam Deck,

Are there any beginners tips you wish you’d know before starting out?

Definitely make sure you're following the NPC questlines, look up a guide if you need to. They're incredibly easy to miss and can seriously affect your late game progress if you don't complete them, especially the boss fights where you can summon NPCs to help.

Apart from that you will figure things out as you go.

How do you get back on the path following the broken bridge in the north west of the map, just past the Bridge of Iniquity? I found a ladder leading up to the left, but I can't find a way back down to the road. I'm desperate to get the final bit of the map on the way to Volcano Manor.

1 hour ago, K said:

How do you get back on the path following the broken bridge in the north west of the map, just past the Bridge of Iniquity? I found a ladder leading up to the left, but I can't find a way back down to the road. I'm desperate to get the final bit of the map on the way to Volcano Manor.

You essentially need to go anti-clockwise around Volcano Manor and loop back towards it if I've managed to correctly identify the bit you are talking about.

Head up the ladder at the iron maiden things and explore beyond there and you'll get to it eventually.

11 minutes ago, Blunted said:

You essentially need to go anti-clockwise around Volcano Manor and loop back towards it if I've managed to correctly identify the bit you are talking about.

Head up the ladder at the iron maiden things and explore beyond there and you'll get to it eventually.

Yes, sorry, I was being a bit vague. I do mean the bit where you climb the ladder next to the iron maiden things, just after you kill the invader. I got through loads of ladders and ledges, and fought quite a few soldiers with glowing eyes, and eventually got to the bit where you find a torrent jump up to what seems like an extremely hard boss - a crystalline stag beetle thing.

Do I have to defeat that to progress? It feels hard enough that it's optional.