IGNORED

Elden Ring - How do I? thread

Kryptonian

2 minutes ago, Benny said:

The closer the scaling letter is to A from E (but with S being the highest, because videogames), the better the bonus damage you will get from the scaling. This is the +num part on the weapon stats window.

Your Dex stat at 30 at B scaling will usually give you a better bonus than, say, Dex and Str both at 30 with D scaling for them both on a weapon for example. But if the weapon had B scaling on both Dex and Str the bonus would be even higher. There is usually a "soft cap" though, where after a certain atribute stat, the weapon scaling modifier will give you less of a bonus than pumping the stat that is lower. For example you might have a D str and D dex weapon, and you'll find say 30 dex 30 str will give you a better bonus than 50str and 10 dex, because you get diminishing returns on higher stats.

Infusions on Ashes of war will also let you manipulate the weapon stats to fit your build.

Have fun! :lol:

I shall return to this later and read a few time so it sinks in.  Thanks! 

9 minutes ago, smac said:

Where do I look for the whetstone to apply Ashes of War? I just picked up my first.

Spoiler

Have a poke around the Gatefront Ruins in Limgrave (the ruins outside the gate with the giant that jumps down at you when you walk through it).

1 hour ago, Benny said:

Your Dex stat at 30 at B scaling will usually give you a better bonus than, say, Dex and Str both at 30 with D scaling for them both on a weapon for example. But if the weapon had B scaling on both Dex and Str the bonus would be even higher. There is usually a "soft cap" though, where after a certain atribute stat, the weapon scaling modifier will give you less of a bonus than pumping the stat that is lower. For example you might have a D str and D dex weapon, and you'll find say 30 dex 30 str will give you a better bonus than 50str and 10 dex, because you get diminishing returns on higher stats.

Cheers Benny. Just so I'm clear on this.. you're saying that (taking soft caps out of the equation for simplicity) a weapon with B Strength and B Dexterity scaling with attributes of 15 Strength and 15 Dex, will give you a better damage output than a weapon with just B scaling in Strength and 30 points of Strength?

5 minutes ago, John0 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Have a poke around the Gatefront Ruins in Limgrave (the ruins outside the gate with the giant that jumps down at you when you walk through it).

Yeah, I spied that area out again last night - I've been around the edges a few times and raided the carriages there, but usually end up with a big ruck and getting mobbed. Might try kiting a few of them away...

6 minutes ago, John0 said:

Cheers Benny. Just so I'm clear on this.. you're saying a weapon with B Strength and B Dexterity scaling with attributes of 15 Strength and 15 Dex, will give you a better damage output than a weapon with just B scaling in Strength and 30 points of Strength?

I think just str B scaling at 30 will give you a better bonus than dex and str at B with 15 in both stat - when the focus is in one stat I think it favours it more until it reaches the soft cap. No idea what they are than that usually diminishing returns seem to kick in around 40-50 odd

When you level up if you have the weapon equipped you can see what sort of bonus you'll get when you raise a stat on the different damage stats for the hand with the weapon equipped on the level up screen.

19 hours ago, John0 said:

Quick question about weapon scaling. It seems to me from a quick look that, for example, a weapon that scales with Strength B, is not just strictly worse than a weapon that scales with both Strength B and Dexterity B. Is that right? Do weapons that scale with multiple attributes have their scaling kind of averaged out between all of them?

It depends on the base damage too, as that is what the scaling bonus(es) are being applied to. Generally, you will get more out of scaling in a single stat, as you can focus more levels into a single stat than multiple ones, but it does depend on what the base damage is too (also, it depends on the speed and move set of the weapon for DPS, but that's a whole other topic). 

Edit - I believe the scaling bonus is split between all the additional stats it scales with, so with quality it's 50/50 between str and dex, with keen it's like 90/10 and heavy is the same the other way.

How do you analyze a boss/enemy to see if they are weak against things? etc. I'm dreading that the answer here is going to be 'experiment and figure it out during multiple battles'.

If you dread answers like that then these games are unlikely to gel with you. They are specifically designed to require experimentation and figuring stuff out by trial and error.

16 minutes ago, Capwn said:

How do you analyze a boss/enemy to see if they are weak against things? etc. I'm dreading that the answer here is going to be 'experiment and figure it out during multiple battles'.

You can look it up online.  The wiki will list every resistance for every boss, enemy, etc., that other players have painstakingly worked out.

Unlike the previous souls games almost every boss lets you restart outside the boss door, so it's actually pretty painless to swap out weapons / spells / talismans etc., and do a suicide run in just to compare damage from a single attack in your current set up.  I've beat at least one boss by accident when doing this.

That's a great call. I actually never thought to look up wikis, just looked and I think it's exactly what I need. Usually looking up a wiki for a game feels like cheating but here I'm sure it's still going to be insanely difficult but at least I have a general idea of what's going on.

It's really not very hard to do a bit of research on a boss / new enemy.  Just equip a few different weapons/spells and use them once each to see the damage, you'll soon know if your club is more effective than your sword, or fire magic better than lightning, etc.  You can literally do this within one minute of an encounter. 

Also there's the general rule about beasts being weak to fire, undead things to holy, fleshy guys weak to bleed and poison, rocky guys to smashing weapons, etc.

3 hours ago, Exidor said:

Also there's the general rule about beasts being weak to fire, undead things to holy, fleshy guys weak to bleed and poison, rocky guys to smashing weapons, etc.

4 hours ago, robdood said:

It's really not very hard to do a bit of research on a boss / new enemy.  Just equip a few different weapons/spells and use them once each to see the damage, you'll soon know if your club is more effective than your sword, or fire magic better than lightning, etc.  You can literally do this within one minute of an encounter. 

If it's not obvious from the first rule of thumb, then I don't really think trial and error is a fun way to find out.

1 hour ago, smac said:

So, if I see 'Traverse the veil' in front of a misty portal, is there always a boss battle on the other side?

Gold ones are always a boss door. 

Edit - however, there are some boss rooms / arenas that don't have a fog door, and you can just stumble into the fight without warning. 

15 hours ago, Polmon said:

Gold ones are always a boss door. 

Edit - however, there are some boss rooms / arenas that don't have a fog door, and you can just stumble into the fight without warning. 

I notice these ones, you die and then when you come back it has a fog door. Bit mean 😛 

7 minutes ago, therearerules said:

I had assumed that beating the final boss ends the game, but reading the other thread I'm not so sure- can I go back and do other stuff afte rthe final boss?

Yes. Immediately after the final boss you 

Spoiler

have to choose your ending (this is the time to savescum, if you're so inclined). Then, the credits will roll. After the credits there's a dialog box asking if you want to straight into NG+ ('Journey 2'). Select 'No' and you'll return to the RTH. Everything will be as before, more or less, but you won't be able to enter the final boss arena again, or choose the endings you missed.

To activate NG+ after that, you need to interact with the big SoG on the table in the Roundtable, I believe.

19 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

Is there a good critical items checklist by area somewhere, so that once i think I've rinsed somewhere I can take a look at what I might have missed?

Fextra is probably your best bet. No checklist as such but they do list important stuff and walkthroughs for each area. Need to be careful of spoilers though

https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Elden+Ring+Wiki

5 minutes ago, Hawklord said:

Fextra is probably your best bet. No checklist as such but they do list important stuff and walkthroughs for each area. Need to be careful of spoilers though

https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Elden+Ring+Wiki

Thanks! Yeah I've been using that and agree it's great (the walkthroughs could do with a bit of clarity in places, but that's nit picking). 

Good to know there's nothing else. 

Not hugely bothered about spoilers once I think I've done an area. 

Cheers!

A question about the multiplayer infrastructure -

I have a friend playing this, we are both in Japan - he is playing a US copy of the game and I am playing an EU copy. We just tried to jolly co-op using a password, and he didn’t see my sign. We both turned on the cross-region matchmaking, and after that my sign appeared for him. Is this coincidental or is the region determined by the copy of the game and not the physical location?

I did some actual cross-region co-op with randoms and it was awful, my hits did zero damage due to lag. I would prefer if I could leave it turned off.

3 hours ago, Darwock said:

A question about the multiplayer infrastructure -

I have a friend playing this, we are both in Japan - he is playing a US copy of the game and I am playing an EU copy. We just tried to jolly co-op using a password, and he didn’t see my sign. We both turned on the cross-region matchmaking, and after that my sign appeared for him. Is this coincidental or is the region determined by the copy of the game and not the physical location?

I did some actual cross-region co-op with randoms and it was awful, my hits did zero damage due to lag. I would prefer if I could leave it turned off.

I think it's down to the region of the console (which will also determines the region version of the digital game you can buy).