IGNORED

Elden Ring - How do I? thread

Kryptonian

I keep hearing about Ranni’s quest, but I haven’t seen her yet as she never appeared at the first church for me. How and where do I start it? 

1 hour ago, JPL said:

I keep hearing about Ranni’s quest, but I haven’t seen her yet as she never appeared at the first church for me. How and where do I start it? 

I think you need to get to the area behind

Spoiler

Caria Manor

And she should be

Spoiler

In one of the towers.

What's a fun weapon to use for a int/dex build? I've been using the moonveil katana and it's great but I'd like to mix things up a little. I'm level 59 and just finished the academy. 

11 hours ago, Sane said:

What's a fun weapon to use for a int/dex build? I've been using the moonveil katana and it's great but I'd like to mix things up a little. I'm level 59 and just finished the academy. 

Wing of Astel (curved sword) and Bastard's Stars (flail) are pretty fun, but you can't find them until you're further into the mid game.

Follow the questline of

Spoiler

Ranni

And you should get both if you take the time to explore the areas you find along the way.

Otherwise, if you like the look of a weapon you could always infuse it with a magical ash of war (or use the relevant whetstone blade when applying ash) to turn any weapon into something that scales with INT.

Oh, I've heard the Clayman's Harpoon is pretty fun actually. It's an enemy drop, so some farming might be required. Location hint:

Spoiler

You'll mainly find them in underground river areas...

Do they have a weird and whacky hitbox when you use them too? Thrust has a 1 foot range, pulling back from the thrust has a 20ft range and bares no resemblance to where the spear ever was at any point.

5 minutes ago, Transient Curse said:

Can I upgrade weapons with abandon or are smithing stones going to become scarce? 

The only upgrade stone that is limited is the final one, and those ones are more common than in Souls games. The rest are effectively infinite.

Is Godricks rune the only one worth using? I used the hp boost one to survive chariots (also shielded through one without even staggering, shield talisman and big face greatshield), but otherwise the others just seem disappointing.

1 hour ago, imp said:

Wing of Astel (curved sword) and Bastard's Stars (flail) are pretty fun, but you can't find them until you're further into the mid game.

Follow the questline of

Reveal hidden contents

Ranni

And you should get both if you take the time to explore the areas you find along the way.

Otherwise, if you like the look of a weapon you could always infuse it with a magical ash of war (or use the relevant whetstone blade when applying ash) to turn any weapon into something that scales with INT.

Oh, I've heard the Clayman's Harpoon is pretty fun actually. It's an enemy drop, so some farming might be required. Location hint:

Hide contents

You'll mainly find them in underground river areas...

Thanks! I'm about to meet the npc you mentioned so I will keep my eyes open for those weapons. 

Question about using ashes to infuse with magic: do fully upgraded weapons end up with similar stats as those that come 'naturally' with int scaling? In other words, can every weapon that allows infusion be a viable magic weapon? 

I got summoned into a threesome in the starting area and then dudes kept invading one by one so they all got onehitted with my rot breath until someone on my team died and it kicked me back to my world. What was the purpose of that?

1 hour ago, mikeyl said:

I got summoned into a threesome in the starting area and then dudes kept invading one by one so they all got onehitted with my rot breath until someone on my team died and it kicked me back to my world. What was the purpose of that?

I've turned off my summoning ring because of that. Kept on getting summoned from the Sewers into Limgrave, where the host couldn't be got at- I think they were on top of the starting building, either that or in it (but a fog wall popped up if you got near). I met a red invader and we just looked at each other, ran around a few times, never attacked each other, then I severed out of there. I think it's pretty much a gladiatoral arena at this point.

That said, the blue ring has never worked properly. I'm always summoned miles away from the invader, often on a comletely different level from which it's impossible to get up or down without going out of bounds or summoning a horse.

Yeah think I was getting a couple of Runes each time and couldn’t see the point.

Don’t really know how summons works at all. Is it level based? The one time someone came in they got squished and had to do it myself anyway. And no one ever summons me to do a boss. I got gud for them! (levelled up)

28 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

Yeah think I was getting a couple of Runes each time and couldn’t see the point.

Don’t really know how summons works at all. Is it level based? The one time someone came in they got squished and had to do it myself anyway. And no one ever summons me to do a boss. I got gud for them! (levelled up)

It's level based and also based on the max upgrade of your highest level weapon. 

E.g. You are level 50 with a +11  weapon. You can be summoned by levels 37-66 with weapons between +9 and +13. You can be invaded by levels 28-55 with weapons between +9 and +13 (or somber stone weapons between +4 and +6).

If you want to get summoned to help people you can put your sign down outside a hard main-path boss or try sending it to the summoning pool in a level appropriate area and see where you end up!

I have a feeling that I asked this before, but what are good Faith-based weapons. I'm about level 70-ish and I'm on the Altus Plateau, albeit trying to do the eastern area boss and getting my arse handed to me.

I'm using the Winged Scythe (only +5, because buggered if I can find a Somber Smithing Stone 6, or 7 for that matter even though I've got an 8 lying around for reasons), but it's not good for enemies that require striking. I've got a Great Club +7 for that, but as I'm mostly putting upgrades into Faith, it seems a bit silly to be using a weapon that only scales with strength.

Is the Troll Club thing any good?

On a side note, I'm bemused as to why the Erdtree Avatar club weapon has a special attack that fires holy projectiles at people yet doesn't actually scale with Faith. U wot m8?

I think one of the reasons for that is so that people going pure Str etc aren't locked out of element damaging weapons of different types. It sounds like you could do with infusing a regular weapon with flame art or sacred weapon art.

1 hour ago, Talvalin said:

I have a feeling that I asked this before, but what are good Faith-based weapons. I'm about level 70-ish and I'm on the Altus Plateau, albeit trying to do the eastern area boss and getting my arse handed to me.

I'm using the Winged Scythe (only +5, because buggered if I can find a Somber Smithing Stone 6, or 7 for that matter even though I've got an 8 lying around for reasons), but it's not good for enemies that require striking. I've got a Great Club +7 for that, but as I'm mostly putting upgrades into Faith, it seems a bit silly to be using a weapon that only scales with strength.

On a side note, I'm bemused as to why the Erdtree Avatar club weapon has a special attack that fires holy projectiles at people yet doesn't actually scale with Faith. U wot m8?

Faith build here with some points in Strength.

Magma Wyrm Scalesword scales with Faith/Strength/Dex has taken me beyond the capital and is a great, fun weapon to use. Deals fire damage and the R2 Magma Guillotine attack is a brilliant way of clearing trash enemies like rats and dogs immediately in front of you, as well as dealing massive amounts of damage to regular enemies and bosses. Looks cool as hell as a bonus. I've tried all the main Faith weapons up to the Capital and Mountains including the Godslayer Sword, but I still main the Wyrm Sword. It's a brutally effective weapon.

Winged Scythe is okay but it I find it leaves me vulnerable. With the Wyrm Sword no one is getting through that Magma Guillotine attack. With a levelled up Mimic and both of you dishing out Magma Guillotines you'll find that bosses just melt. Took the Gargoyles down second try last night and completely wrecked them, followed by an absolute trouncing of Mogh The Omen.

For the undead enemies I use Golden Epitaph. Good split of Physical/Holy damage and fast.

To add to that, just checked my Wyrm Sword and at +9 it now scales with B/B in STR and FTH. It was D/D when I first got it. That might even go higher when I find a  Somber Ancient Dragon Smithing Stone to take it to +10. The fire damage is free and doesn't consume FP on top of the ludicrous amounts of physical damage it deals. Wearing gear/talismans that boost FTH makes a noticeable difference to its damage output. In the War Dead Catacombs I can farm ~100k Runes in about 10 minutes with a Gold Scarab, even more with a pickled foot. It just decimates all the guards and knights in that area.

I keep seeing lots of pictures and streams and everyone has a blue jelly fish top kind of shield.

I assume it must be good if everyone is using it!

Question is, does anyone know how one acquires such shield?

3 minutes ago, Arn X Treme said:

I keep seeing lots of pictures and streams and everyone has a blue jelly fish top kind of shield.

I assume it must be good if everyone is using it!

Question is, does anyone know how one acquires such shield?

It's at

Spoiler

Liurnia of the Lakes, specifically

Spoiler

Westish of the Four Belfries, on the road and surrounded by red jellyfish

15 hours ago, Talvalin said:

Have you tried the blasphemus blade? It's got an amazingly strong weapon skill and every enemy that dies when you weild it gives you a bit of faith.

On 03/04/2022 at 15:01, JPL said:

So you never got the spirit ash summon bell?

Quick question about weapon scaling. It seems to me from a quick look that, for example, a weapon that scales with Strength B, is not just strictly worse than a weapon that scales with both Strength B and Dexterity B. Is that right? Do weapons that scale with multiple attributes have their scaling kind of averaged out between all of them?

The closer the scaling letter is to A from E (but with S being the highest, because videogames), the better the bonus damage you will get from the scaling. This is the +num part on the weapon stats window.

Your Dex stat at 30 at B scaling will usually give you a better bonus than, say, Dex and Str both at 30 with D scaling for them both on a weapon for example. But if the weapon had B scaling on both Dex and Str the bonus would be even higher. There is usually a "soft cap" though, where after a certain atribute stat, the weapon scaling modifier will give you less of a bonus than pumping the stat that is lower. For example you might have a D str and D dex weapon, and you'll find say 30 dex 30 str will give you a better bonus than 50str and 10 dex, because you get diminishing returns on higher stats.

Infusions on Ashes of war will also let you manipulate the weapon stats to fit your build.

Have fun! :lol: