Jump to content
IGNORED

Elden Ring - How do I? thread


Kryptonian
 Share

Recommended Posts

Is it still the case that you can two-hand weapons when you don’t meet the strength requirement and use it effectively?

 

I assumed this would be the case as I was swinging my big axe 2-handed without staggering, but the damage it was doing was negligible. The game didn’t actually say two-handing was possible, which previous games always did so I’m unsure…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 27/03/2022 at 09:46, Qazimod said:

Wait, Bloodborne's Hand Lantern is in this? I've been running into caves alternating my left hand between torch and shield... :facepalm:

 

I squeaked like a mouse on helium when I found the lantern. I *love* Bloodborne. 

 

That said I don't think I could go back to any of the previous games now. The last one I played was DS on the switch which I absolutely adored. First time ever playing it (on the run up to ER).

 

My From history is DS2/BB/DS3/DS then ER.

 

:wub:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Darwock said:

Is it still the case that you can two-hand weapons when you don’t meet the strength requirement and use it effectively?

 

I assumed this would be the case as I was swinging my big axe 2-handed without staggering, but the damage it was doing was negligible. The game didn’t actually say two-handing was possible, which previous games always did so I’m unsure…

Yeah, I'm sure 2-handing is the equivalent of STR * 1.5 eg STR 20 would allow you to 2-hand a sword with a 30 STR requirement

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m going around smashing up dragons when I see them and I feel very bad doing so. In addition, will this mess up quests and storylines later on in the game (I’m lvl 50 atm)?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did it! It finally went down.

Spoiler

I rolled around like a maniac avoiding the stars bullshit and luckily at the same time he targeted my mimic with the ring spell and not me.

Time to save scum for the plat and tie up some loose ends. :)

 

Edit: Ah shit, wrong thread. :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 31/03/2022 at 15:39, StumpyJohn said:

Edit: Just looked in fextralife.  I have that incantation so will see about using it

 

Yeah, I REALLY do need to look at the magic stuff in this, could do with something against Death Blight too

 

On 31/03/2022 at 15:24, Minion said:

Yeah getting this and 12 FTH was a complete game changer for me for ROT, before I was so angry every time I came across it as it's so damaging and the bolus materials so rare and annoying to farm. It's essential this incantation.

 

On 31/03/2022 at 15:16, imp said:

There’s an incantation you can get that only requires 12 FTH to cast that cures rot for very little FP.

 

Put my next few level ups into Faith and can now do the incantation to purge poison & rot 😀.  It's so quick/ easy and as I almost never bother using my shield I'm just going to have bow and seal in my off hand now I think.

Gonna do a respec soon to get rid of points I put into Strength so may move those into Mind so I have a few more FP available for using the incantations alongside ashes and summons.

 

Are there other "low Faith" incantations I should be looking at? I can perhaps see me using Bestial Vitality for incremental HP restore but flasks and backstabs usually have me covered for that and I have the passive talisman that does that too.  I tried out Urgent Heal as well but it restores too little health to be of much real use.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, StumpyJohn said:

 

 

 

Put my next few level ups into Faith and can now do the incantation to purge poison & rot 😀.  It's so quick/ easy and as I almost never bother using my shield I'm just going to have bow and seal in my off hand now I think.

Gonna do a respec soon to get rid of points I put into Strength so may move those into Mind so I have a few more FP available for using the incantations alongside ashes and summons.

 

Are there other "low Faith" incantations I should be looking at? I can perhaps see me using Bestial Vitality for incremental HP restore but flasks and backstabs usually have me covered for that and I have the passive talisman that does that too.  I tried out Urgent Heal as well but it restores too little health to be of much real use.

 

Beastial vitality is good, it's cheap low fth and heals slowly over a period of time. If you get into any arcane/blood then the swarm of flies is really good as is the blood flame weapon buff. The clawmark seal is decent for the beastial incantations too and requires low faith.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cripes, I thought I was getting quite good at this game  Got past Preceptor Miriam (twice) and progressed.  Met


 

Spoiler

Godskin Nobel on the bridge

 

And can barely put a dent in him.  5 attempts, don't think I got him lower than 80%.  I really am rubbish with a summon spirit available.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you want a tip

 

Spoiler

When he goes all rolling ball of death on you, running up and into one of the slightly raised platforms along the bridge is usually safe. He’ll roll right at you and hit the railings rather than going round and up the stairs. I died loads to him just from having no idea how to dodge that on a narrow bridge to start.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Minion said:

Beastial vitality is good, it's cheap low fth and heals slowly over a period of time. If you get into any arcane/blood then the swarm of flies is really good as is the blood flame weapon buff. The clawmark seal is decent for the beastial incantations too and requires low faith.

Thanks, looking at the wiki I'm not far enough into the game to have come across swarm of flies yet but I think I have blood flame so I'll give that a go

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hit the 18 hour mark and it's starting to get overwhelming/tedious, probably because I'm trying to push through the castle after killing Margit. I can get quite far so it's tempting to push through but probably made around 30-40 runs, it especially gets frustrating as I'll get about 8000 runes and eventually lose them, multiple times. 

 

I still don't understand the art of war stuff at all, could probably do with watching more videos on this stuff but it feels like I should just go off and wander around a bit. I think part of the issue too is I just want to hit and roll, I can't be bothered building up magic and stuff. Also summoning other players feels like cheating, so I make it harder on myself.

 

So glad I purchased it, got my moneys worth already probably but I think I need to step back. Come at it again every now and again throughout the year and play some other games when they come.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Capwn said:

Hit the 18 hour mark and it's starting to get overwhelming/tedious, probably because I'm trying to push through the castle after killing Margit. I can get quite far so it's tempting to push through but probably made around 30-40 runs, it especially gets frustrating as I'll get about 8000 runes and eventually lose them, multiple times. 

 

I still don't understand the art of war stuff at all, could probably do with watching more videos on this stuff but it feels like I should just go off and wander around a bit. I think part of the issue too is I just want to hit and roll, I can't be bothered building up magic and stuff. Also summoning other players feels like cheating, so I make it harder on myself.

 

So glad I purchased it, got my moneys worth already probably but I think I need to step back. Come at it again every now and again throughout the year and play some other games when they come.

What level are you? Have you gone straight for the castle or have you explored all of the Weeping Peninsula? I’d recommend having a good explore all over Limgrave before doing Stormveil.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, JPL said:

What level are you? Have you gone straight for the castle or have you explored all of the Weeping Peninsula? I’d recommend having a good explore all over Limgrave before doing Stormveil.


level 28. It feels like I have explored a lot already but I went straight from margit to stormveil, probably too ambitious to do both at the same time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Capwn said:


level 28. It feels like I have explored a lot already but I went straight from margit to stormveil, probably too ambitious to do both at the same time.

Margaret is at the entrance to Stormveil. Is that who you mean?

 

Your level should be fine for Stormveil though. What build are you running and which weapons?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Capwn said:

I still don't understand the art of war stuff at all, could probably do with watching more videos on this stuff but it feels like I should just go off and wander around a bit.

Ashes of War are pretty straight forward. They can be slotted onto armaments at a grace point and determine what skill is on the L2/LT button. They give you physical attacks, magic attacks, ranged attacks, offensive/defensive buffs, etc. There's a lot. When you apply an Ash of War you can also choose an affinity so your armament will scale better with your stats or be more effective versus a particular enemy. Your affinity choices will increase when you pick up whetstones which are hidden around the world.

 

It's important to note that the skill on your lefthand armament will override the skill on your right armament. However, there is an Ash of War called 'No Skill' that you can apply to the left to ensure you use the right.

 

Some armaments won't have a slot for Ashes of War and have their own baked in L2/LT skill that you cannot remove. I hope this makes sense...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think this will be a difficult game to jump in and out of personally. You play other games in between and you'll come back rusty and find it even more frustrating and unforgiving.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Know what's mad? How it isn't logging who you've killed and who you have not? Have gone to so many places, come across a 'NOPE!' enemy and ran away but how will I remember this? If I look at a area on the map, I can't tell if I have 'cleared' that area or not. 

 

Anyway, I ran away from stormviel castle. Ending up finding 'boat man boss', someone I saw a few days ago but was too scared to attack, found him and (eventually) killed him (the one where skeletons keep re-generating).

 

Leveling up still stresses me out too. Mainly been going for health and endurance but now wondering if I should have been adding to faith, as am encountering either poison/rot so need spells OR need to hit enemies from afar. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Capwn said:

Know what's mad? How it isn't logging who you've killed and who you have not? Have gone to so many places, come across a 'NOPE!' enemy and ran away but how will I remember this? If I look at a area on the map, I can't tell if I have 'cleared' that area or not. 

 

Use the map markers. I put a skull down for bad gits that kill me and need a revenging and the sword for locations I've cleared.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Blunted said:

 

Use the map markers. I put a skull down for bad gits that kill me and need a revenging and the sword for locations I've cleared.

 

 Oh, can you put multiples of the same marker down? will try that. If so that's a great idea.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly, @Capwn, the only piece of advice you need at this stage is to just play.

 

Explore, kill, be killed, follow the grace hints or don’t, and don’t fret when you lose souls. Watch YT videos for anything you aren’t sure on, or read the fextralife wiki. It’s a collaborative game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Over the last couple of nights I’ve been ‘trial and erroring’ a few places, always making sure to pick up my runes each time.

 

The number of runes I pick up has been less than what I dropped, getting progressively lower the more I do it. This never used to happen, why is it happening now?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Darwock said:

Over the last couple of nights I’ve been ‘trial and erroring’ a few places, always making sure to pick up my runes each time.

 

The number of runes I pick up has been less than what I dropped, getting progressively lower the more I do it. This never used to happen, why is it happening now?

Are you in Stormveil?  If so, there’s an interesting reason for that… but I don’t wanna completely spoil it just yet 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Minion said:

Beastial vitality is good, it's cheap low fth and heals slowly over a period of time. If you get into any arcane/blood then the swarm of flies is really good as is the blood flame weapon buff. The clawmark seal is decent for the beastial incantations too and requires low faith.

 

14 hours ago, StumpyJohn said:

Thanks, looking at the wiki I'm not far enough into the game to have come across swarm of flies yet but I think I have blood flame so I'll give that a go

I only needed 2 more levels of Arcane to try out Blood Flame so earned those last night and was then confused that the incantation just remained greyed out/ unusable.  After switching off I had a brainwave that it might be as I had a magic ash on the blade (Hoarfrost Stomp) so did a bit of fiddling this morning and I can use it if I set the affinity as something other than Cold or Magic when re-applying the ash.  Have gone with Keen and will see how that works out

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Darwock said:

Yeah the castle, ok I will stop asking questions and wait until I find out. Thanks!

Without spoiling it, it's these little bits of detail that just make this game so wonderful. I'm 100 hours in and haven't touched the Capital yet. Just so much to do and see. 

 

And it's so ridiculously well designed, moreso than any other From game. Case in point, I began the Ranni quest line. An early stage required me to speak to someone who I'd previously encountered. When I'd met them they'd been imprisoned and I took notice of a sign that told me to hit their head. Stupidly presumed this would release them, instead it made them enraged and refuse to speak with me. In most games that would be it, but From had the foresight to create a way around this. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Apologies if this has been asked previously, but if I have a weapon that does 138+20 physical damage, and 100 critical damage, does it do 258 total damage? Or is it that 100 of the 138 base physical damage is also critical?

 

And if I apply an ash of war that says it does 100+8 physical damage and 100+8 magical damage, as well as the 100 critical, will it do 316 damage (before taking into account enemies' resistance to magical damage of course)? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Scribblor said:

Apologies if this has been asked previously, but if I have a weapon that does 138+20 physical damage, and 100 critical damage, does it do 258 total damage? Or is it that 100 of the 138 base physical damage is also critical?

 

And if I apply an ash of war that says it does 100+8 physical damage and 100+8 magical damage, as well as the 100 critical, will it do 316 damage (before taking into account enemies' resistance to magical damage of course)? 

 

Critical damage is I believe the multiplier for when you do a critical damage attack like a backstab or parry riposte. Daggers traditionally have a high critical damage multiplier of 130 or 140 - I believe that might be percent I'm not sure but it doesn't factor in when doing standard attacks, that would just be your 138+20

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.