Jump to content
IGNORED

Elden Ring - How do I? thread


Kryptonian
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Gavin said:

Always try to eke out a level up and spend your remaining runes before trying a boss room or suspected tricky area.

Oh I'm doing that; using up my rune tokens, selling duplicate weapons and armour, selling a bunch of the crafting materials I don't need etc to bridge the gap to the next level up.  It's more that I am now doing a bit too much of that and bailing out of such areas a bit too often.  Im at the point where a level is 60k+

 

1 hour ago, Gavin said:

If, however, you get surprised by a boss encounter and killed leaving loads of runes in the boss room? 

 

You may then find trying to pick up your runes before getting killed is distracting you from the ongoing battle.

 

REMEMBER! You can run in and collect your hard earned runes then quickly quit out the app. When you load back in you will be OUTSIDE the boss fog door with all your runes on you to teleport to nearest grace and spend or whatever 😀

No good in a cave though as fast travel is blocked.  I ran in, grabbed runes and used the save/ quit to escape the boss area but that puts you just outside of it and the way in was via dropping down a shaft so no 'physical' way back up.  Only options were beat a boss that was too hard for me or use the Memory of Grace to lose all runes and escape 😢 

 

1 hour ago, Doctor Shark said:

I lost 250k or there abouts on a jumping puzzle, then lost them permanently trying to get them back and falling off the same point. 

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten that I've lost a bunch like that too, far fewer than you though, think the biggest was about 20k or half a level at the time.  Best example was when I managed to reach the runes and was then jumping 'back to safety' and fell off. 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, StumpyJohn said:

In the past couple of days I've been knocked off a cliff to my death by a regular enemy while on my way to recover about 32k and then lost 60k in a cave where there was no way out other than through and it was way too high level for me to get past the boss.

 

The jeopardy of losing loads of runes is cramping my enjoyment of the game a bit recently.

Just don't worry about it. There's literally infinite runes out there. Back in my day enemies disappeared after 7 deaths and then those souls were gone! And you only had one way you could go! Back in my time none of this used to be fields, basically. 

 

Seriously though Runes don't really matter. It's annoying when you lose them, yeah, but don't let it ruin the game for you. Just go get more!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

Wait, Bloodborne's Hand Lantern is in this? I've been running into caves alternating my left hand between torch and shield... :facepalm:

The hang from waist lantern? yep it's there and enemies are so dumb they completely ignore the light from it!

It's been in one of my pouch slots since early doors

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@NimmelSorry. I moved your post to the main thread as it was somewhat spoilery for location. This thread is mostly intended for hints and tips for the baffled/confused/inept.

 

My question is: how do I equip the damn lantern? I found a merchant selling one in Liurnia but when I tried to add it to my equipment, it didn't show up when I scrolled through my various pouches.

 

To my shame, after about 40 hours in and a lot of talismans collected, I only just found the section on the Equipment screen where you actually select the talismans that you want to use. With that plus a Great Rune, my Faith is now boosted from 31 to 41 and I've been smashing people flat with Lightning Spears when summoned around Limgrave.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Talvalin said:

@NimmelSorry. I moved your post to the main thread as it was somewhat spoilery for location. This thread is mostly intended for hints and tips for the baffled/confused/inept.

 

My question is: how do I equip the damn lantern? I found a merchant selling one in Liurnia but when I tried to add it to my equipment, it didn't show up when I scrolled through my various pouches.

 

To my shame, after about 40 hours in and a lot of talismans collected, I only just found the section on the Equipment screen where you actually select the talismans that you want to use. With that plus a Great Rune, my Faith is now boosted from 31 to 41 and I've been smashing people flat with Lightning Spears when summoned around Limgrave.

Aasuming you mean the hand lantern, it shows up in the same usable items menu as your estus and consumables. It has be equipped on the item belt menu, or the pouch (on the right when you bring up the menu in game). 

 

If you mean the torch, that is essentially a weapon and can be equipped into the left or right hand slot and must be held (currently selected in that hand slot) for it to light up the area. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Talvalin said:

@NimmelSorry. I moved your post to the main thread as it was somewhat spoilery for location. This thread is mostly intended for hints and tips for the baffled/confused/inept.

 

My question is: how do I equip the damn lantern? I 

Thanks for moving I did indeed not mean to post it here and as mentioned you just use the latern I have it mapped to the quick menu.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Talvalin said:

My question is: how do I equip the damn lantern? I found a merchant selling one in Liurnia but when I tried to add it to my equipment, it didn't show up when I scrolled through my various pouches.

I have it assigned to 'left' in the pouch so I turn it on/ off by holding Y (triangle I think on PS) and then pressing left on the d-pad.

To add it to pouch you bring up the menu, highlight the pouch slot you want and use in the top right corner and use Y to switch that slot to your chosen item

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Gavin said:

 

 

Savour that feeling of risk man as it is THIS VERY ASPECT that you'll miss when you go back to playing 'normal' games 🤔

Conversely it’s the very aspect that I won’t miss when I go back to playing other games. Fortunately the two major rune farming methods in this have meant that I don’t need to care about lost runes, and have massively increased my enjoyment of the game. If it wasn’t for the Ball bearing farm I’d have given up at about 20 hours.

 

Each to their own I guess.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BitterToad said:

Just don't worry about it. There's literally infinite runes out there. Back in my day enemies disappeared after 7 deaths and then those souls were gone! And you only had one way you could go! Back in my time none of this used to be fields, basically. 

 

Seriously though Runes don't really matter. It's annoying when you lose them, yeah, but don't let it ruin the game for you. Just go get more!

 

I have aquired a couple of twigs (sacrificial I think) that supposedly allow you to keep your runes after death.  I have not figured out how to use them yet though.

 

 Any clues anyone?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Waggo said:

 

I have aquired a couple of twigs (sacrificial I think) that supposedly allow you to keep your runes after death.  I have not figured out how to use them yet though.

 

 Any clues anyone?

 

They can be equipped as a talisman and I can confirm that they do exactly that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, I have a handful of those but never want to use up one of my talisman slots to accommodate.

Have been up to 100k runes a couple of times today without crapping my pants so hopefully I am getting a bit better with rune jeopardy 😂

Think my most recent level up was 70k

 

Back to the how do questions; I'm playing a dex focused samurai and mostly use backstabs, fast melee and a bit of arrow use.  I've totally ignored the magic side of things but have umpteen sorceries, incantations etc.  Is there any particular magic that would go well with my samurai? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Danster said:

Top tip, don't stupidly fall off a bridge to your death when you're riding to collect 29,000 runes... 😭

 

Ha ha. Man, the amount of bloodstains I watch where people are just standing there, and then run straight off an edge and die.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Nimmel said:

Thanks for moving I did indeed not mean to post it here and as mentioned you just use the latern I have it mapped to the quick menu.


I’ve made so many posts in this thread and then had to hide them because I thought it was the main one. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thought Id post here instea dof the main thread , not so much a how do i  but a how does it work.

 

Ive been working towards an approximation of the Champion build

https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Builds#champion

now I was a bit late getting the Golden Vow weapon art, i go to equip it and I see that its changing my weapon scaling stats meaning I lose way more than the 10% damage the weapon art gives me ? 

I also see that it has holy damage as well.

Is the Holy damage on top of the physical damage? Or is it the proportion of the damage that is holy ? 

Is it worth essentially downgrading my sword to have the weapon art ? 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Padaxes said:

Thought Id post here instea dof the main thread , not so much a how do i  but a how does it work.

 

Ive been working towards an approximation of the Champion build

https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Builds#champion

now I was a bit late getting the Golden Vow weapon art, i go to equip it and I see that its changing my weapon scaling stats meaning I lose way more than the 10% damage the weapon art gives me ? 

I also see that it has holy damage as well.

Is the Holy damage on top of the physical damage? Or is it the proportion of the damage that is holy ? 

Is it worth essentially downgrading my sword to have the weapon art ? 

 

When you apply the Ash of War to the weapon you should get the option to determine the scaling. It's likely it was defaulting to Holy but you should be able to select Heavy (assuming you have the iron whetstone),which will change the scaling to focus on Strength. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Padaxes said:



Is the Holy damage on top of the physical damage? Or is it the proportion of the damage that is holy ? 

 

 

Yes the holy damage will be on top of the physical, so if you have say 100 physical/ 100 holy it could potentially* do 200 damage in total.

 

*Dependent on what defense the opponent has against either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bit overwhelmed with the amount of Spirit Summons to choose from. Must have about 20 in my inventory but have only tried a couple, they seem a bit pointless when they're not upgraded. The system for these should be less dependent on upgrading them with consumables.

 

Just about to finish Ranni's quest which will give me the option to get Black Knight Tiche which seems to be a highly powerful summon. Anyone using it?

 

Who is using what spirit summons and what do  you like or recommend please? Everyone uses the mimic but I'm wondering if there's anything more fun or unique to fight alongside you. I do like the demi humans but they get instantly killed in any AOE attacks. Loads of them look good but without upgrading them it's difficult to judge when they just get instantly murdered.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can someone explain the paintings to me?

 

I found one in Stormveil and I recognised it as being round the back of the starting area, so I went over there and found a dude sat in a chair who vanished when I got to him, leaving an ash of war. The painting seems to be gone from my inventory now, so does that mean I’ve solved that one?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Who is using what spirit summons and what do  you like or recommend please? Everyone uses the mimic but I'm wondering if there's anything more fun or unique to fight alongside you. I do like the demi humans but they get instantly killed in any AOE attacks. Loads of them look good but without upgrading them it's difficult to judge when they just get instantly murdered.

 

I use Mimic most of the time but I've also used Black Knife Tiche (at +10) a few times since I have got her. She's quite useful if you are facing more than one enemy in a boss fight as she will flit between then and concentrate their agro on her. She also inflicts status effects on enemies.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, JPL said:

Can someone explain the paintings to me?

 

I found one in Stormveil and I recognised it as being round the back of the starting area, so I went over there and found a dude sat in a chair who vanished when I got to him, leaving an ash of war. The painting seems to be gone from my inventory now, so does that mean I’ve solved that one?

 

Yep, that's pretty much it. Different paintings will give you different reward, i.e. ashes as in that case or armour etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, metallicfrodo said:

 

Yep, that's pretty much it. Different paintings will give you different reward, i.e. ashes as in that case or armour etc.

Thanks!

 

Now, where can I get Grave Glovewort [3]? I want to upgrade my spirit summons, the rotten stray and spirit jellyfish, but I can’t get them above +2 at the minute.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, metallicfrodo said:

 

I use Mimic most of the time but I've also used Black Knife Tiche (at +10) a few times since I have got her. She's quite useful if you are facing more than one enemy in a boss fight as she will flit between then and concentrate their agro on her. She also inflicts status effects on enemies.

 

Thanks.

 

The fight to get the Tiche summons is a bit out of my reach for now! Decided to upgrade the Banished Knight up to +8 and took him for a tour around a couple of castles, I just stood back whilst he massacred everything. I love watching AI fight itself. I have the Mimic Tear but it just seems a bit boring having a clone of myself and haven't levelled it at all.

 

Anyone know if the bird is good? I like the idea of that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I use the Raya Lucaria soldiers and really like them. Excited by the 5 shieldbearers I picked up a couple of rooms ago though. Also got the mimic and upgraded it. I've more ghost upgrades than grave, and the mimic is the only one of the big cheifs I can use as a none mind build.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.