IGNORED

Elden Ring - How do I? thread

Kryptonian

Is there any reason why my Ashes of War now give me the option of more affinities?

For example, Endure - which would normally be Standard/Heavy - can now be Standard/Heavy/Magic/Cold... I'm not complaining, mind.

A big thank you to all who've been giving advice in this thread (esp. @Doctor Shark, @Jamie John, @Minion). Took a lot of it on board and have focused on the suggested improvements so VIG and END are now up to 20. Has meant I'm less squishy and I'm mixing up my approach to combat a bit. Been polishing of some minor bosses before I embark proper on Liurnia and revisiting a few places that I was under qualified for previously! Was loving the game before, but the advice in here has elevated it further. 

Part of the greatness of the From games is working things out for yourself, but a few pointers are always gratefully received. 

Agents of Shield, assemble. I’m always turtling behind mine. Feel very exposed exploring anywhere new without it. I’ll switch to two-handing my greatsword against some of the bigger boys, but in general I never go in without protection.

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

Agents of Shield, assemble. I’m always turtling behind mine. Feel very exposed exploring anywhere new without it. I’ll switch to two-handing my greatsword against some of the bigger boys, but in general I never go in without protection.

Yep. My Strength boi is using a 100 physical damage reduction shield which is invaluable in most encounters - but some bigger hits still blow open my stamina.

That said, I'm at around 35 Strength so I might look into trying a "Colossal Sword" soon and see what the trade-off is if I want to downgrade my shield in order to wield everything effectively.

3 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Is there an idiots guide to backstab? I thinkni pulled off 3 in 134 hours by accident.  I'd love to be able to do them :(

So long as you are behind the target just press R1 and you should back stab. You need to be stationary though.

12 hours ago, jonamok said:

I'm the opposite so tend to wander all over the shop double handing the broadsword. At least until I run into archers or projectile checkers in more numbers than I can safely dodge whilst running them down. That said, whenever I remember to use the shield in a more aggressive fight the new counter move is extremely potent, especially given how easy it is to execute.

4 hours ago, Mike S said:

So long as you are behind the target just press R1 and you should back stab. You need to be stationary though.

Thanks. So it's just behind,stationary? There's no exact position?

30 minutes ago, Sane said:

You should be almost touching them. 

Thanks, I'll get some practice in on the starting area.

I'm the same with parrying- never managed it.

Anyone fancy some coaching with screeenshare on PS4?

2 hours ago, Kirby said:

Yep and as @Sane says, as close as you can get.

It’s very useful when creeping up on enemies as it will do huge amount of damage. It doesn’t work on every enemy but seems to be fine on anything remotely humanoid in size and appearance.

20 hours ago, jonamok said:

I'm using one of those tower shields, and I'm convinced I lose less stamina when blocking with it.

Top Tip, read the descriptions of the Ashes of War (hit square). I found a fire one that seems pretty poor just blowing out a puff of flame but if you then hit R2 you swing your sword through to light it on fire. Combined with an incantation that buffs fire damage it fucks

For shields you want to look not only at the amount of defence it grants but also, perhaps even more at guard boost. That stat determines how much stamina is lost from your bar when a hit is blocked.

9 hours ago, Kirby said:

Is there an idiots guide to backstab? I thinkni pulled off 3 in 134 hours by accident.  I'd love to be able to do them :(

9 hours ago, Mike S said:

4 hours ago, Kirby said:

When I started playing this I was very hit and miss with backstabs and I could not work out why I'd be successful 90% of the time in one play session and then only 20% in the next.

Eventually I worked out that you need to be a lot closer to the enemies than in other backstabby games such as AC and that the enemies are so dumb that they don't even notice you when you are touching their back and can't physically get any closer.

So the trick is to be closer than you'd expect from other games and to be stationary.

I always felt with backstabs that to get them to work I had to be pushing towards the enemy, rather than just stood behind them.  This might not be correct though, reading the previous answers, as maybe pushing towards the enemy was just getting me close enough for it to trigger.

39 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

I’ve found they work best if you are actually walking against the enemy. It doesn’t seem to alert then at all but guarantees that you get the back stab.

Thanks guys.I just spent half an hour back in the firsr area worry sheep for bits for arrows and backstabbing like a pro :D

You definitely don't need to be stationary to pull off a backstab!

Just v close and in the right position (which can be hard to judge if enemy is mid attack animation). Q

And don't worry about parries for the most part, guard counters are amazingly powerful! 

20 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Thanks guys.I just spent half an hour back in the firsr area worry sheep for bits for arrows and backstabbing like a pro :D

I am forever killing sheep, those rabbit/ squirrel things and deer to get thin beast bones for making arrows.  Birds too as I always make fletched ones.

It gets a bit tedious after a while but I need those runes for leveling so no buying arrows for me!

I've got something and I'm not sure how common knowledge/obvious it is.

If you want to run around with a shield and a sword but want to easily use the ashes on your sword (Moonveil!) without switching to two-handed mode, you can apply the ash "no skill" to your shield, and this allows you to use your sword's skill when using it one-handed.

2 hours ago, robdood said:

And don't worry about parries for the most part, guard counters are amazingly powerful! 

I've completely given up on parrying. :lol: 

2 hours ago, Timmo said:

I've got something and I'm not sure how common knowledge/obvious it is.

If you want to run around with a shield and a sword but want to easily use the ashes on your sword (Moonveil!) without switching to two-handed mode, you can apply the ash "no skill" to your shield, and this allows you to use your sword's skill when using it one-handed.

Some shields even come with no skill by default. I think brass shield is one of them and the carian knights one.

1 minute ago, Uzi said:

Some shields even come with no skill by default. I think brass shield is one of them and the carian knights one.

Yes! I've been using the Carian one which is likely how I discovered this.