Elden Ring - How do I? thread

Kryptonian

Can someone please explain what on earth I’m doing wrong here? 

I want to use this spell, seemingly have all the attributes to do so. But when I go to use it, it’s greyed out? Very confused. 

Any guidance on my Status would be appreciated too! Bit of a mess if I’m being honest. Tend to use ranged attacks combined with attacks from Quality Twinblade +7.  Just bested Godrick. 

40DC5157-520F-4777-BA48-9F5F1F224C19.jpeg

74FF4E6F-02C0-463F-BC19-A91AB0A21F4D.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

I want to use this spell, seemingly have all the attributes to do so. But when I go to use it, it’s greyed out? Very confused. 

Any guidance on my Status would be appreciated too! Bit of a mess if I’m being honest. Tend to use ranged attacks combined with attacks from Quality Twinblade +7.  Just bested Godrick. 

You have a staff equipped - these are used for casting INT-based sorceries. You need a sacred seal instead as Assassin's Approach is a FAI-based incantation and for those you need seals. You can buy the finger seal from the Maiden Husks in the Roundtable Hold.

13 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

I would hold off on STR and DEX for a while and get your VIG and END up to 20. As you explore beyond Stormview you will find more smithing stones to upgrade your weapon, which will increase your damage output anyway. You're going to need more health and stamina!

19 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

You've spread your stats too wide. Do you really need that much arcane? Do you need both faith and int, it's usually better to concentrate on one unless you're going fully magic no melee which appears to be called holy in this one. You definitely should put more points in vigor and endurance. When you get the chance think about respeccing, if you want to have a mix of melee and magic then choosing one of faith or int and one of Dex or strength is the best way to do it otherwise you'll not be good at much in the later game  I know that's not what you technically asked but thought I should mention as others answered your question. Good luck!

What's the advantage of Dex over strength? I've respecced to try something slightly new, but have realised that strength was reducing damage taken? Is there something that Dex does to make this a worthwhile trade? The in-game explanation is it reduces fall damage and spell cast time.. and that doesn't really seem that worth it to me.

If I'm using a weapon that I can easily change to scale with either with ashes, strength just seems better.. right?

Also some weapons you cant use the ashes on.. is that right? Or am I missing something?

At the most basic level, Strength is about hitting things as hard as you can with the biggest weapon you can find and tanking any hits you get back, rolling when there’s something you can’t take, but otherwise using your poise stat and your armour eat the smaller hits without it interrupting your charge attacks. You do big, slow swings that take chunks off the enemy health bar. 

Dex is about hitting things as fast as you can and avoiding getting hit yourself. Lots of rolling and quick, stabby hits that chip at the enemy health bar and inflict status debuff a like poison or bleed much more quickly. 

Strength is probably a bit more difficult to play well, because the attacks are so big and slow once you’ve swung, you’re committed so you have to be sure of your aim otherwise you’re left wide open. Dex is more forgiving in that you get in fast, attack fast and get out fast. 

It’s preference, really. 

As for the ashes, some are restricted to weapon type, yes. Some can only be used on swords, some only on hammers etc. they tell you what they can be used on when you read the tooltips. 

@Doctor Shark I see cheers. But if I have a weapon that can scale with either depending on which affinity you choose when applying ashes.. strength just seems strictly better right? Because it's reducing damage taken. Whereas dex isn't?

17 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

As for the ashes, some are restricted to weapon type, yes. Some can only be used on swords, some only on hammers etc. they tell you what they can be used on when you read the tooltips. 

What I mean is.. I select "ashes of war" from the grace site menu, and I have a weapon that's just not available on that screen. So I can't put any ashes at all on it.

19 minutes ago, John0 said:

@Doctor Shark I see cheers. But if I have a weapon that can scale with either depending on which affinity you choose when applying ashes.. strength just seems strictly better right? Because it's reducing damage taken. Whereas dex isn't?

What I mean is.. I select "ashes of war" from the grace site menu, and I have a weapon that's just not available on that screen. So I can't put any ashes at all on it.

Some weapons have their own built in power you can’t replace. 

You don’t need to reduce damage taken with dex because the idea is you don’t get hit, you dodge and roll out of the way. If you go heavy strength, you’re also quite slow (and might struggle to keep yourself at medium equip load to keep medium rolls), so you need the damage reduction and extra poise to help you eat a few hits without being knocked out of your attack animation or getting staggered. 

Damage wise, they probably work out about the same, so go with what you prefer. 

2 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Some weapons have their own built in power you can’t replace. 

You don’t need to reduce damage taken with dex because the idea is you don’t get hit, you dodge and roll out of the way. If you go heavy strength, you’re also quite slow (and might struggle to keep yourself at medium equip load to keep medium rolls), so you need the damage reduction and extra poise to help you eat a few hits without being knocked out of your attack animation or getting staggered. 

Ahh ok gotcha. So dex improves your movement speed? Or strength reduces it? It doesn't say that on the explanation screen.

6 minutes ago, John0 said:

Ahh ok gotcha. So dex improves your movement speed? Or strength reduces it? It doesn't say that on the explanation screen.

No, but good strength weapons are heavy, which add to your equip load (for example, my sword has a weight of 23, which is super heavy). I also like to wear the big, heavy armour, which puts my weight limit up. I’m currently at a total of 72 out of 104, which is just about still in medium load and allows me to medium roll instead of the short, slow roll you get from heavy load, but that’s because I’ve pumped up my endurance stat. 

Is there any point to equipping a shield?  I have it raised to block blows from Bloodknight Darville (Or Something like that), but he still keeps completely twatting me.

I am for the most part enjoying myself, but I do find the fighting mechanics to be somewhat unfair.  It took me ages to beat the Tree Sentinel fella, because I could get his energy bar 95% down and then he would suddenly become 5 times as hard to fight.  It was impossible to sneak up on him anymore, and his hit became an instant single kill.  In the end I had to get the health bar right down, and let my spirit wolves finish him off, while I took pot shots at him with arrows from on top of a ruin!!!!!

14 minutes ago, Waggo said:

Is there any point to equipping a shield?  I have it raised to block blows from Bloodknight Darville (Or Something like that), but he still keeps completely twatting me.

I am for the most part enjoying myself, but I do find the fighting mechanics to be somewhat unfair.  It took me ages to beat the Tree Sentinel fella, because I could get his energy bar 95% down and then he would suddenly become 5 times as hard to fight.  It was impossible to sneak up on him anymore, and his hit became an instant single kill.  In the end I had to get the health bar right down, and let my spirit wolves finish him off, while I took pot shots at him with arrows from on top of a ruin!!!!!

I felt the same and gave up on shield, seemed useless against anything decent. Now dual wield katana instead and doing much better with rolly polly dodges.

I have seen some decent shield usage on youtube so it's probably worth revisiting - Interrupting casting and stuff so would be good to learn how to do that for if / when it's needed.

A shield can be useful for tanking a hit you can see coming but know you can’t avoid, the aoe attacks in particular. It can help to learn what’s coming too by hiding behind and watching the enemies combos but also keep an eye on endurance but when that’s low get out of the way don’t block anymore. Other than that it’s useful against field enemies and groups and wrll

its down to preference. I’ve been using one with my dex build as it makes me feel safe but when I want balls to the walls action I swap it for another katana. 

Shields can definitely be useful, just don't expect to be able to stand there and block every single boss attack with a shield for the whole fight unless you have incredible endurance and poise. In most cases you're still probably going to need to figure out which attacks you block, which you roll through and which you try to stay out of range of. Personally I try to block the attacks I struggle to read and time properly and roll through those I'm more confident with.

I also pretty much have a shield permanently raised when I'm going through a catacomb or dungeon for the first time as you never know what's going to pounce on you out of nowhere. 

Stat related question, since it’s a current topic; my twinblade has the same bonus letter for both Strength & Dexterity so I’ve been putting points into both. 

If I’d have put the same amount into one instead splitting it, would I do the same amount of damage?

Oh, and I always have a shield equipped, I just switch to using my Twinblade two-handed if I want the extra damage or I’m not worried about needing to block. 

37 minutes ago, Majora said:

I also pretty much have a shield permanently raised when I'm going through a catacomb or dungeon for the first time as you never know what's going to pounce on you out of nowhere. 

I did this. Came unstuck with those backstabbing little imp / goblin bastards though. Now I just roll into the room and slash the crap out of everything ( still die a LOT )

2 minutes ago, ph0rce said:

Stat related question, since it’s a current topic; my twinblade has the same bonus letter for both Strength & Dexterity so I’ve been putting points into both. 

If I’d have put the same amount into one instead splitting it, would I do the same amount of damage?

Oh, and I always have a shield equipped, I just switch to using my Twinblade two-handed if I want the extra damage or I’m not worried about needing to block. 

It means it gets the same damage bonus from both at the same rate, so you don’t need to pump both, just pick one. There are ashes that you can add which will change the ratio in favour of one or the other and increase the scaling. 

8 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

It means it gets the same damage bonus from both at the same rate, so you don’t need to pump both, just pick one. There are ashes that you can add which will change the ratio in favour of one or the other and increase the scaling. 

So it would do exactly the same damage, whether I put everything into Strength, everything into Dex or split it down the middle like I have now. Interesting. 

I flipping love my shield guys. I've been trying to get better two handed a bit more recently, but going through the whole game trying to dodge every attack with perfectly timed rolls?? Not for me! I have no idea how you guys do it. There are a lot of enemies that wind up their attacks and then stall the hit. There's super quick attacks I don't even see coming. There's double attack swings that are specifically designed to be too fast to roll through twice but too slow to roll through once. Every big boss has different patterns and swings (although I'm starting the see similar ones more now as I get through). I still roll when I can but having my shield up means I get away with not always having to sometimes and that's super nice. And mitigating damage even if you don't block it all is sometimes life saving.

And in a addition to all that it just gives me a nice warm safe feeling when I have it up, like nothing can hurt me. Even if that's obviously not true :). I love my shield.

1 minute ago, ph0rce said:

So it would do exactly the same damage, whether I put everything into Strength, everything into Dex or split it down the middle like I have now. Interesting. 

I wouldn’t split down the middle, I’d pick one over the other as, when you begin to upgrade weapons, their scaling might change anyway. So you might have a sword that’s D for both strength and dex now, but when you upgrade it to, say, +5, it will be D for strength and C for dex. 

1 minute ago, John0 said:

I flipping love my shield guys. I've been trying to get better two handed a bit more recently, but going through the whole game trying to dodge every attack with perfectly timed rolls?? Not for me! I have no idea how you guys do it. There are a lot of enemies that wind up their attacks and then stall the hit. There's super quick attacks I don't even see coming. There's double attack swings that are specifically designed to be too fast to roll through twice but too slow to roll through once. Every big boss has different patterns and swings (although I'm starting the see similar ones more now as I get through). I still roll when I can but having my shield up means I get away with not always having to sometimes and that's super nice. And mitigating damage even if you don't block it all is sometimes life saving.

And in a addition to all that it just gives me a nice warm safe feeling when I have it up, like nothing can hurt me. Even if that's obviously not true :). I love my shield.

And there is absolutely nothing whatsoever wrong with that approach :) 

56 minutes ago, ph0rce said:

Scalings can change as you level up the weapon so be warned. If you want a mix of str and dex then the quality infusion may lead to higher damage output as you level up the weapon and those stats, just keep an eye on the scaling as they change whilst you upgrade. Or if you want to only level dex for example put keen on it, and heavy for strength.

When you respec, can you do it with all of your levels, or only the ones you've acquired since choosing your starting class? If I chose a class that was already level 10, for example, would I be able to reallocate those original 10 levels?

As per previous in the thread - shields are situational tools. That situation may well be "I've no idea where I am and need a clutch option". They've been improved in two ways this time

Barricade gives tower shield guard for normal shields this time. Enemies can be interuptted by bouncing off shield

Guard Counter - slightly faster and heavier hit from a block

I am on the fence on heavy armour here though. Has anyone done how the damage reduction works for this? The armour doesn't seem to be making a huge difference.

I have a respec question too (i've not yet got to the point of having access to it) and googling it is not helping

When I initially created my character I didn't really pay much attention to all the options like age, detailed appearance etc as I pretty much always just go with game characters 'as-is' and never bother to customise them.  When I later looked at a beginners guide I spotted that this meant I had missed out on choosing a keepsake as it defaults to 'none' rather than forcing a choice if you don't go into that section 😢

Do you get a chance to re-choose your keepsake as a part of the respec?  As some of them are consumable I'm guessing it's probably a no but perhaps its available if you previously had none?

8 minutes ago, StumpyJohn said:

I have a respec question too (i've not yet got to the point of having access to it) and googling it is not helping

When I initially created my character I didn't really pay much attention to all the options like age, detailed appearance etc as I pretty much always just go with game characters 'as-is' and never bother to customise them.  When I later looked at a beginners guide I spotted that this meant I had missed out on choosing a keepsake as it defaults to 'none' rather than forcing a choice if you don't go into that section 😢

Do you get a chance to re-choose your keepsake as a part of the respec?  As some of them are consumable I'm guessing it's probably a no but perhaps its available if you previously had none?

No you can't.

You're also stuck with the base stats of whatever character you started with.