Elden Ring - How do I? thread

Kryptonian

This game is magnificent. Thinking about it when I'm at work, when I go to sleep, spend ages reading the rapidly moving Elden Ring thread and have a couple of students who are aware I'm playing it, so are popping in to ask me about my progress. Fair to say I'm a very lowly scrub compared to them. 

Anyway, a few questions. I'm so engrossed in the game when I'm playing it that I forget to work these things out. Then they come to me half way through a lesson on anarchism. 

I've bought a Bloodborne-esque lantern, does that just hang off me rather than need to be wielded like a torch?

If you clear an area, I presume the area doesn't change colour; instead you can use the marker system yourself to mark this?

When you have status effects under your health bar, is there a way to see them in more detail/larger? 

Can we upload our current load out on here to get some feedback? I'm fairly sure I'm going about things haphazardly and would appreciate some feedback. 

I have a spell which I seem to have the abilities to use but when I go to use it, it's greyed out. Might this be to do with my staff not being good enough? 

Those summoning structures that you activate, they're for me to be summoned? Do I need to have an item on me for that to happen? I use the furling finger to summon others. 

I know I should work a lot of this out for myself but I get so engrossed in my next discovery that I find it hard to focus on other aspects of the game. 

56 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

I've bought a Bloodborne-esque lantern, does that just hang off me rather than need to be wielded like a torch?

Yes. You just need to turn it on. I've equipped it to the quick menu, so if I hold down Y and press dpad right it turns on. Very useful!

If you clear an area, I presume the area doesn't change colour; instead you can use the marker system yourself to mark this?

I don't think there's any colour change, no. If I've got unfinished business in a location then I will leave a marker there, or just make a note of it.

When you have status effects under your health bar, is there a way to see them in more detail/larger?

Not that I know of, no. You have to figure out what the different symbols mean based on what you have equipped.

I have a spell which I seem to have the abilities to use but when I go to use it, it's greyed out. Might this be to do with my staff not being good enough? 

To actually use a spell you need to do several things:

- Have the required FAI or INT to use it.

- Have the spell equipped

- Have a catalyst (staff) equipped to use sorceries (magic spells that scale with intelligence) or a seal equipped to use incantations (faith spells)

- Have enough FP to use it

- With the spell set in top slot on your equipment cross and staff/seal in your right hand, press RB or R1 to cast the spell

The only other time I can think of when a spell will be greyed out is if you're trying to use a weapon-enchanting spell on a weapon that is already enchanted. You can't apply a lightning weapon spell to a sword that already does magic damage, for example (or I can't seem do, anyway).

Those summoning structures that you activate, they're for me to be summoned? Do I need to have an item on me for that to happen? I use the furling finger to summon others. 

Interacting with those little crucifixion statues will activate the summoning pool for that particularly area. From there, if you go to the multiplayer menu, you'll find an item (can't remember what it's called - looks like a golden stick) that allows you to be summoned to nearby summoning pools to help out the host. Essentially, this allows you to be summoned to lots of different places that you are near to, so long as you have activated that summoning pool. You can just be travelling across the overworld and then be pulled into someone else's game to help them with co-op. It means that you don't have to hang about by your summoning sign, waiting to be summoned - you're free to explore nearby - but you don't know whereabouts you're going to be summoned to if there are a fair few summoning pools nearby that you have activated. I don't know how big the summoning 'zone' is.

That's my understanding, anyway! Could be wrong. I don't think it's ever really explained, but I've turned it on a few times and have been sucked into some randomer's world to help them with a boss. The item you get for helping someone, the Rune Arcs, are very useful a bit later in the game.

Here's something I found helpful; if you find the Mighty Shot ashes of war and apply it to a basic bow, it makes archery somewhat viable, even if you're not specced for it. If you keep 99 of the cheapest wooden arrows on you, you can whittle distant enemies down without it taking an absolute age.

4 minutes ago, JPL said:

Help!

How do I get out of the Sellia Crystal Tunnels? I’m getting annihilated as soon as I step foot out of the shack.

Ha! We've all been there. Sneak and run basically. It's not far. It feels like a lifetime ago now but I think you need to head down, not up.

Finally arrived at what I think is the second ( north ) Elden Lord location, took the Great Enemy down in less than a minute, think I might have spent too much time exploring & ended up a bit over-levelled. 🤣

Mind you, the normal enemies in that location hit bloody hard still, so maybe it's just an easier boss. I'm sure I'll get my arse kicked by something round the next corner!

I did get a cracking complete set of armour though, so I look really fancy at the moment. 😍

11 minutes ago, Majora said:

Ha! We've all been there. Sneak and run basically. It's not far. It feels like a lifetime ago now but I think you need to head down, not up.

I managed to do this as about the first thing I did after emerging from the tutorial. Before I could level up, had a mount - or crucially know about fast travelling between grace sites.

I did a lot of sneaking and running!

1 hour ago, JPL said:

Help!

How do I get out of the Sellia Crystal Tunnels? I’m getting annihilated as soon as I step foot out of the shack.

Edit: Sneaky sneaky!

It's not as hard as it first appears so long as you:

1. dont attack anything
  2. dont pick up any of the materials the miners are digging

a bit more detail

Spoiler

Wait for the enemy to pass the entrance on its way to the left and then sneak out of the shack and turn right to go down the slope.  Ignore the miners and just go past them keeping close to the wall.  The exit and a site of grace is then in front of you to the left.

Once you have activated the site of grace you can actually rush back in and grab some of the resources and some smithing stones if you are fast and brave!

On a similar note I was exploring this morning before work and stupidly decided to drop down the mine shaft into the Gael Tunnel even though I was not strong enough to 1 shot backstab the enemies at the top.

I activated the site of grace at the bottom (so warp to last site of grace was useless) and you can't climb back up so the only way out was through! 🤣  Died a fair few times before getting my technique of stealth and clever kills working well enough.  Would have been stuck if I hadn't had enough arrows and materials to craft more though. Maybe just running and ignoring all enemy attacks would have just about worked in a pinch!

On the upside I do now have loads of smithing stone [4]s; pity it's actually still the [2]s I need to upgrade though 😂

for Sellia Crystal Tunnels, another tip is to 

Spoiler

aggro any miners you're able to one by one and lure them back to the starting cabin, then backstab & backstab until they're gone, so you have a bit of a clearer run to the bonfire grace point

54 minutes ago, StumpyJohn said:

It's not as hard as it first appears so long as you:

1. dont attack anything
  2. dont pick up any of the materials the miners are digging

a bit more detail

Reveal hidden contents

Wait for the enemy to pass the entrance on its way to the left and then sneak out of the shack and turn right to go down the slope.  Ignore the miners and just go past them keeping close to the wall.  The exit and a site of grace is then in front of you to the left.

Once you have activated the site of grace you can actually rush back in and grab some of the resources and some smithing stones if you are fast and brave!

Ah yeah, I’d figured it out not long after posting. That’s what my edit is about!

After much hassle with the microsoft store this morning (2 oops something went wrong and 1 decline) I had 2 order confirmation emails half an hour later.  One cancellation later I was crossing my fingers on the other one working and I now have a delivery notification for by SeriesX for tomorrow! 😆

Assuming it all arrives safely will my elden ring save transfer over ok from my oneX to my new seriesX?  The MS help says I can just do a network transfer of game files and saves but nervous in case there is anything game specific that might break that.

My oneX controller is pretty knackered so jumped on the stock availability of a seriesX rather than buying a new pad.  I might actually get better at blocking with a pad where LB actually works reliably! 🤣

27 minutes ago, robdood said:

My favourite way to deal with the miners is if they're wearing a backpack full of - Stones, I guess? - just hit said backpack with a fire weapon and watch them go boom. 

Did this for the first time earlier purely by fluke and laughed out loud at the explosion 😆

14 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Is the talisman in Fort Faroth worth it? Getting absolutely battered in there but determined to get the talisman. How big is the increased damage penalty for using it? Ta for any pointers.

Hardly noticeable- it’s definitely worth getting. What’s battering you? I did it earlier and don’t remember there being anything difficult. 

18 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Is the talisman in Fort Faroth worth it? Getting absolutely battered in there but determined to get the talisman. How big is the increased damage penalty for using it? Ta for any pointers.

Oddly enough I just did that fort myself this evening.

Spoiler

The lower floor is manic and was  instadeath to me so I just dashed and hoped to not not get poisoned but the top floor is OK so long as only one of the species is triggered at a time. But once I dropped down and had to deal with a small corridor and a giant rat it was just brutal. I died over and over and over until I managed to cheese the bastard thing.

Can't remember what the talisman was though, sorry, but I definitely hoped to find something much more spectacular after the pain of beating that bastard giant rat. I really wanted a fancy new hat or top of some kind for my efforts.

There is also half of something else that I already have a half of so at least that thing will be useable whenever I need it.

EDIT: hang on you already know more about the talisman than I do! Is it part of an NPC quest that I have forgotten/missed?

3 hours ago, StumpyJohn said:

After much hassle with the microsoft store this morning (2 oops something went wrong and 1 decline) I had 2 order confirmation emails half an hour later.  One cancellation later I was crossing my fingers on the other one working and I now have a delivery notification for by SeriesX for tomorrow! 😆

Assuming it all arrives safely will my elden ring save transfer over ok from my oneX to my new seriesX?  The MS help says I can just do a network transfer of game files and saves but nervous in case there is anything game specific that might break that.

My oneX controller is pretty knackered so jumped on the stock availability of a seriesX rather than buying a new pad.  I might actually get better at blocking with a pad where LB actually works reliably! 🤣

It’s an Xbox. It just works. Without you doing anything, as long as you’re connected to the internet.

2 hours ago, Uncle Nasty said:

It's worth it. Up to about 40 vit, the amount of extra damage you take is offset by the extra 5 stats of vit it gives you.

2 hours ago, Wahwah* said:

When looking at a merchant's wares, can I easily compare the stats of what I've got with what is available for purchase? 

as far as I can tell you only get a comparison in the equip screen.  when I wanted to do a comparison with a merchant I ended up taking a photo of the stats of my current gear and using that.

11 hours ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Its one of the best talismans in the game. Not just because it raises all your attributes (the penalty is barely noticeable), but because it also effectively lowers the requirements for weapons etc. The sword I wanted to use needs 18 Dex, so I respecced and just put 13 points into Dex, giving me 5 more levels to pump up Int.

5 hours ago, StumpyJohn said:

as far as I can tell you only get a comparison in the equip screen.  when I wanted to do a comparison with a merchant I ended up taking a photo of the stats of my current gear and using that.

Cheers,  that's what I thought about doing. Seems like a bit of an oversight! 

Thanks for the encouragement with the Fort Faroth talisman. I'm parked at the point of grace outside and will keep chipping away at it.

@Doctor SharkThe spirit soldiers on the roof kill me every time. One in particular is a one shot kill on my build (kind of a glass cannon faith build) and I lose it to the same enemy every time. I have a poison cure in my spells so the downstairs isn't too bad. Just need to get a plan together for the upstairs. My wolves, +4, get killed quite quickly and keep jumping back downstairs to the enemies I leg it past to get to the ladder.

@Mike SI found out about the talisman from a video about Faith builds, not sure if it forms part of an NPC quest.

At what number does poise become useful? I'm currently a 7 poise astrologer and I'm considering switching to more of a sword and board with medium Int hybrid who can take a hit without stumbling (and most importantly looks cooler!)

2 hours ago, Wahwah* said:

Cheers,  that's what I thought about doing. Seems like a bit of an oversight! 

Yeah, gear comparison at vendors has been a game staple for decades. this is my first 'souls' so not sure if its a FROM thing.

At a guess its because gear stats and regularly swapping gear are not so important in this game than your typical action/ rpg game?

Meaningful comparisons are also a bit tricky especially for weapons as how do you usefully compare a base item from the vendor with the +5 item you have currently equipped.  For armour it would be useful though