IGNORED

Elden Ring - How do I? thread

Kryptonian

2 hours ago, makkuwata said:

New map piece locations are visible even through fog of war if you’ve gotten close enough to any.

image.thumb.jpeg.5b629e63b6912caf80351da92642e526.jpeg

Thank you so much, turns out I galloped right past four of them, but it had been so long I’d forgotten what they looked like. I have everything south of Stormveil filled in now. 

6 hours ago, StumpyJohn said:

What's the difference between fletched and unfletched arrows?  Damage is the same so am guessing range?

Yes, fletched arrows travel further.

How on earth do I equip something to the quick menu accessed by holding down triangle? I have the stupid thing that takes you straight home but lose all your souls in the top slot by default, but can't for the life of me figure out how to put anything else there.

I have a question. It's regarding getting past well... a bit of a lift after the academy in the top left 

Spoiler

Can someone give me a tiny vague clue?

I can't seem to get past this at all, and I need to shoot something maybe? Or have a talisman? This is going by the messages on the floor. 

I'd certainly love a wee hint but not told outright :)

Spoiler

To use the lift you need a Talisman - one piece is in Limegrove, one in Caelid

But you can get past the lift if you look....down...nearby.

Sorry it's hard just to hint.

29 minutes ago, Hexx said:
  Reveal hidden contents

To use the lift you need a Talisman - one piece is in Limegrove, one in Caelid

But you can get past the lift if you look....down...nearby.

Sorry it's hard just to hint.

It's all good! :D

I appriciate all of that! So, thank you, I shall have a gander :)

Do I need to defeat G in Stormveil before i can get a certain lady to move to the Round Table or do i have to keep searching for the item she wants? 

G murdering my Imps a bit quickly at the moment so would really like to upgrade them at least once before trying that again. 

13 minutes ago, Sun Tze said:

Do I need to defeat G in Stormveil before i can get a certain lady to move to the Round Table or do i have to keep searching for the item she wants? 

G murdering my Imps a bit quickly at the moment so would really like to upgrade them at least once before trying that again. 

I got the her (if it's who I think) at the Roundtable, upgrading my jellyfish, before I did Margit.

12 minutes ago, Sun Tze said:

No, you can get her to move before then.

General hint:

Spoiler

What does she talk about a lot, and where do you see evidence of that happening?

Or a bit more specifically:

Spoiler

Try looking in Stormveil, around where you meet the grafted creature inside in a hall.

Just now, disperse and recoagulate said:

Someone gave me a letter to deliver to a man (her dad?) in a castle. What level should I be before I attempt this?

It wasn’t that bad to be honest, assuming you made it as far as getting the letter, I’d just keep going in the right direction until you get stuck!

49 minutes ago, disperse and recoagulate said:

Someone gave me a letter to deliver to a man (her dad?) in a castle. What level should I be before I attempt this?

I've got to do that and forgot where I need to go. Is it

Spoiler

Castle Morne?

19 hours ago, StumpyJohn said:

Couple more questions:

What's the difference between fletched and unfletched arrows?  Damage is the same so am guessing range?

What are the glowing golden vertical bars that occasionally appear around my character like in this screenie.  In this case I was in an area with lots of floating golden leaves, is that connected?

PXL_20220307_192757473_MP.thumb.jpg.2fc486cfc3dcd93e64be4f9fc350fbeb.jpg

It’s a rare weather effect. If the golden leaves are falling and you’ve got the glow enemies drop more souls. 

Are there ashes of war for a staff? I’m playing astrologer, about lv 49 or so but I don’t use ashes of war as I just don’t understand how they work exactly.  All the ashes of war I seem to have look to be for melee characters. And it seems a bit cumbersome to use them.

So to use one I need to have a sword in my left hand with an ash of war on it. To use that ability I need to go to 2 hand mode with the sword then press l2 to use the ability. By the time I’ve pressed all those button combinations I’d be dead!

1 minute ago, RabMyself said:

Are there ashes of war for a staff? I’m playing astrologer, about lv 49 or so but I don’t use ashes of war as I just don’t understand how they work exactly.  All the ashes of war I seem to have look to be for melee characters. And it seems a bit cumbersome to use them.

So to use one I need to have a sword in my left hand with an ash of war on it. To use that ability I need to go to 2 hand mode with the sword then press l2 to use the ability. By the time I’ve pressed all those button combinations I’d be dead!

Having found one yet.  I would select a weapon as your melee choice and equip to the right hand in the second slot availabe toggling between them.  As far as I can see  the ashes either give you access to different damage types or enable damage to scale with intelligence rather than the original stat. Not sure you have to double hand, think that might be a subtlety related to Shield use. I'm no expert though 

2 hours ago, RabMyself said:

If you have a staff in your left hand, and a sword in your right, then you can use the ash of war ability: staffs don’t have one, so it defaults to the swords.

12 hours ago, RabMyself said:

Edit: what I wrote initially was wrong.

Correction: As suggested above, sword in right hand, staff in left. Although I play as an Astrologer and have my sword as my alternative weapon in my right hand and have a shield in my left. Swap between sword and staff easily (with right on the d-pad) then and can use ash of war when the sword is held. Although to do that you need to have no ashes on the shield.

14 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

Edit: what I wrote initially was wrong.

Correction: As suggested above, sword in right hand, staff in left. Although I play as an Astrologer and have my sword as my alternative weapon in my right hand and have a shield in my left. Swap between sword and staff easily (with right on the d-pad) then and can use ash of war when the sword is equipped.

Thats exactly what I do too. I tried sword and staff combo and discovered it’s wrong and for perverts. 

12 hours ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

Having found one yet.  I would select a weapon as your melee choice and equip to the right hand in the second slot availabe toggling between them.  As far as I can see  the ashes either give you access to different damage types or enable damage to scale with intelligence rather than the original stat. Not sure you have to double hand, think that might be a subtlety related to Shield use. I'm no expert though 

There's an Ash that removes the Parry from Shields (or makes the off hand weapon's ability null I'm not sure) so you can use the right hands Ash ability with LT.

I usually try to figure stuff out myself generally, but this small interface problem has me stumped:

My base HP shows as 800, but on the equipment screen it's showing as 760. I'm not wearing anything that reduces HP, but I can see an icon under my health and stamina bar that is like a red square with a black arrow pointing down in the bottom right corner. There's no way of actually finding out what your active buffs/debuffs are in the status screen, so I wondered if it's some sort of active debuff for something I did. Does having had Scarlet Rot permanently reduce your HP a bit until cured or something?

8 minutes ago, Benny said:

I usually try to figure stuff out myself generally, but this small interface problem has me stumped:

My base HP shows as 800, but on the equipment screen it's showing as 760. I'm not wearing anything that reduces HP, but I can see an icon under my health and stamina bar that is like a red square with a black arrow pointing down in the bottom right corner. There's no way of actually finding out what your active buffs/debuffs are in the status screen, so I wondered if it's some sort of active debuff for something I did. Does having had Scarlet Rot permanently reduce your HP a bit until cured or something?

I guess you’ve been hugged by a deathbed companion? To be fair to her, she does does tell you her blessing is in exchange for some of your vigor. :D

1 minute ago, MrCarrot said:

I guess you’ve been hugged by a deathbed companion? To be fair to her, she does does tell you her blessing is in exchange for some of your vigor. :D

Oh fuck, I wondered if it was to do with that actually! I needed a hug tho...

Is it actually permanent then or does it go away after using the blessing? If it's permanent entirely that's kind of cool/hilarious.

1 minute ago, Benny said:

Oh fuck, I wondered if it was to do with that actually! I needed a hug tho...

Is it actually permanent then or does it go away after using the blessing? If it's permanent entirely that's kind of cool/hilarious.

Oh shit, I got three "hugs" from her. I hope they're not cumulative.

1 hour ago, MrCarrot said:

It’s not permanent.

Hide contents

You can just use the blessing item to make it go away. No idea if this has any impact on her quest line though (assuming there is one)!

What’s the item called? I forgot what she originally said to me and having looked through my inventory nothing rings a bell.