IGNORED

Elden Ring - How do I? thread

Kryptonian

10 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Talismans are different from Seals and Catalysts. Talismans are things you equip to provide passive effects, like the rings you can equip in previous Souls games. Seals and Catalysts you equip to either of your hands and have to use them with RB/LB to activate the spell you have equipped.

That’s an old habits response, in previous games the thing you needed to cast miracles was called a talisman, blame From for changing their terminology & me for not proof reading my message before posting. 

🤪

36 minutes ago, disperse and recoagulate said:

Can you play this as a pure “mage”? Ie spell damage only and zero melee?

Don't see why not but it might not be much fun, particularly in early game, due to your FP limit. 

I need guidance. Something tells me I missed a big progress path. Not sure if spoilers are needed here, but just to be sure... 

Nothing too far, I am a mere level 22.

Spoiler

Couple of things.

1) where do I go? I found Margit and decided against banging my head against that wall. Instead I cleared all (3?) dungeon bosses. Found a fella wanting me to get him his castle back. Problem is, I forgot the location of both him and his castle. I went someplace else, found a chest that teleported me to crystal save that led to a rotting crimson area (I am sooo not supposed to be here, everything is bloody lethal). Returned to the round table, found a new guy who introduced me to some beast NPC who wants to be fed death. Turns out, it is the area where everthying is bloody lethal.

So, what did I miss? Surely there's something I must have missed and I presume it as the castle the noble guy wants back.

2) I've not found any equipment upgrade for my Astrologer. Still rocking her starting staff (+2 now) and a nonsense sword for when I run out of FP

3 minutes ago, df0 said:

I need guidance. Something tells me I missed a big progress path. Not sure if spoilers are needed here, but just to be sure... 

Hide contents

Couple of things.

1) where do I go? I found Margit and decided against banging my head against that wall. Instead of cleared all (3?) dungeon bosses. Found a fella wanting me to get him his castle back. Problem is, I forgot the location of both him and his castle. I went someplace else, found a chest that teleported me to crystal save that led to a rotting crimson area (I am sooo not supposed to be here, everything is bloody lethal). Returned to the round table, found a new guy who introduced me to some beast NPC who wants to be fed death. Turns out, it is the area where everthying is bloody lethal.

So, what did I miss? Surely there's something I must have missed and I presume it as the castle the noble guy wants back.

2) I've not found any equipment upgrade for my Astrologer. Still rocking her starting staff (+2 now) and a nonsense sword for when I run out of FP

I’m level 53 and I’m still rocking that staff - +7 now. I might have found a better one, but it’d need a load of smithing stones and I don’t have any level 1 or 2 stones left.

anyway, you basically just need to explore more around Limgrave and to the south over the bridge. There are a lot more dungeons you’ve not found. But at level 22, if you’ve got a spirit summons, you’re about at the point you can hit margit.

5 minutes ago, df0 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Couple of things.

1) where do I go? I found Margit and decided against banging my head against that wall. Instead I cleared all (3?) dungeon bosses. Found a fella wanting me to get him his castle back. Problem is, I forgot the location of both him and his castle. I went someplace else, found a chest that teleported me to crystal save that led to a rotting crimson area (I am sooo not supposed to be here, everything is bloody lethal). Returned to the round table, found a new guy who introduced me to some beast NPC who wants to be fed death. Turns out, it is the area where everthying is bloody lethal.

You haven't really missed anything but:

Spoiler

Margit is pretty much the way forward so you've not missed any key directions.

I'd say you might be a bit under levelled for the Margit fight (but know nothing of Mage powers or stats). It is a fight that is not as hard as it first seems but I'd certainly want to be wielding a bit more in the way of weaponry and levels just to even the playing field a little.

I'd just wander off and explore as you'll find plenty of items to help and lots of sub-bosses to have a crack at, and also, see lots of weird and wonderful sights. 

As for the fella and his castle issues - he advises you need to head south of the Mistwoods. South! This is not a critical path though, but it is a fun NPC storyline so you should definitely do it.

6 minutes ago, df0 said:

How do Spirit Summons work? I have 3 but they are not usable from the Use button. Do they require a different slot?

Assuming you have Torrent, rest till night at the Church of Elleh.

5 minutes ago, df0 said:

How do Spirit Summons work? I have 3 but they are not usable from the Use button. Do they require a different slot?

You need to assign them via the equipment screen after which you'll be able to use them as you would your health shots, horse whistle, etc...

Ah right, I spent a night there and met the new version of Yuria. Now I can summon spirits.

edit; no I can’t. They’re still greyed out.

56 minutes ago, df0 said:

Ah right, I spent a night there and met the new version of Yuria. Now I can summon spirits.

You can only summon spirits at certain times - whenever a white gate symbol appears to the left of the screen. Normally it will activate in boss battles, or when you're about to battle a big group.

1 hour ago, df0 said:

there will be a small statue in the vicinity when you can. Your spirit will only hang about while you’re in the same region/summoning area.

I think I'm getting the map wrong.  I've been all over the place,  beaten 3 or 4 bosses, got to a couple of high level areas,  levelled up to 25 (started as a Prophet, which iirc, starts at about level 10), got to a couple of 

Spoiler

What seem like alternate dimension bits

And have a couple of character quests at least underway. Maybe finished.

But,  I have never met the first Boss I've seen named on here.  

I thought the little flame icons on the map/ coming from the bonfires were supposed to guide you where to go.  On my map,  there are a few contrasting directions being indicated but if I stick to one path the directions just push me to areas that feel like I need to level up to take on. 

I feel like I've missed the sequence of areas somehow or have skipped a bit of the game and that if I keep just wandering around then I'll end up over leveling and spoil the challenge (May already have done).

Without someone explicitly saying "here's a list of areas" is there some way to get back on track? 

14 hours ago, Number 28 said:

Ok, here's a game changer: If you click L3 in the inventory you can sort by 'Order of Acquisition', so you should find that trinket you just picked up a lot faster.

Ah, joy! 

You still need to search through the inventory tabs.. But! 

When you get an item, it puts a picture of the tab icon in the top left of the message box. 

On 03/03/2022 at 17:08, ph0rce said:

Storm Castle - Courtyard with loads of enemies question:

Reveal hidden contents

There's a glowing statue near the big troll guy, obviously it's got something in it, and it looks like you could break it or more specifically, it looks like maybe you could bait the troll into smashing it.

However, I tried that a few times & he doesn't seem to do it.

All I want to know if if I'm on the right lines, if I'm not, no need to tell me exactly what to do thanks, I'll try something else.

Not sure if someone has answered this in the mean time or you've figure it out, but here:

Spoiler

There's a giant in the area nearby, lure him over to the statue and get him to attack it. 

So, there’s loads of caves / catacombs / etc in the starting area but once you go over to Mistwood & that side, there are hardly any. 

Is that right or am I going blind? I mean I’ve found a couple but nothing compared to how many were in the first area. 

6 minutes ago, disperse and recoagulate said:

Can I buy a staff? Followed a guide to get one from the Demi-Human Forest Ruins in the Weeping Peninsula but it was a massive mob surrounded by about 10 little mobs, which wasn’t possible right now.

If I remember right, the first merchant you meet in the

Spoiler

Lakes

area sells one.

9 minutes ago, disperse and recoagulate said:

Can I buy a staff? Followed a guide to get one from the Demi-Human Forest Ruins in the Weeping Peninsula but it was a massive mob surrounded by about 10 little mobs, which wasn’t possible right now.

You have Torrent presumably? You can do it man.