Jump to content

Pokémon Scarlet/Violet - 2022


deKay
 Share

Recommended Posts

The wording there is interesting. They know they've fucked up! Presumably all the people claiming refunds on their e-shop purchases have made a point.

 

Picked up the physical from Game at the weekend to squirrel away for Christmas. It was a spur of the moment purchase, but apparently a lot of people didn't bother picking up their pre-orders, so we got the fancy bag and starter statue pre-order bonuses for free.

 

There has also been a shift in local poltiics, and my son has now abandoned Quaxly for Fuecoco, meaning I get the duck. Fine by me!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Alexlotl said:

The wording there is interesting. They know they've fucked up! Presumably all the people claiming refunds on their e-shop purchases have made a point.

 

Picked up the physical from Game at the weekend to squirrel away for Christmas. It was a spur of the moment purchase, but apparently a lot of people didn't bother picking up their pre-orders, so we got the fancy bag and starter statue pre-order bonuses for free.

 

There has also been a shift in local poltiics, and my son has now abandoned Quaxly for Fuecoco, meaning I get the duck. Fine by me!

 

It sold 10 million copies in 3 days, doesn't excuse the state of the game but I don't think a couple of people not getting their pre-order from 1 Game is gonna make much of a difference.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Melon_Bread said:

 

It sold 10 million copies in 3 days, doesn't excuse the state of the game but I don't think a couple of people not getting their pre-order from 1 Game is gonna make much of a difference.

 

If I'd actually said that, I'd concede the point. The first and second paragraphs of my post aren't really connected - I was just happy to unexpectedly get the statue, currently sitting on my left speaker.

 

What I referred to in the first paragraph was the movement of people to get e-shop refunds for Pokemon Scarlet / Violet based on them being a mess technically, with some success. No idea how many people that represents, but it's certainly generated a lot of news stories, and the refunds being granted is evidence of Nintendo having to admit it's unacceptably poor.

 

Please understand.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The patch is welcome, obviously, and there is no question that something is needed. But, I still feel that the performance issues card is being hugely overplayed here. Not to mention, the patch seems to be more about Season 1 of Ranked Battles than actual fixes, and this was always going to be something added in a patch pretty soon after launch. I don't expect the game to improve much, if at all, tomorrow, or indeed ever.

 

Back off "Tech Geeks" chat and back into "Game Freaks" for a minute? I have 2 things:

 

1. Get yourself a Glimmora!

2. Does anyone have a Quaxly I could pimp out with my Ditto for half an hour? I have the other 2 starters, nothing particularly awesome breeding wise, yet, but can produce them on request at this point. Surprise Trade keeps on letting me down.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Alexlotl said:

 

If I'd actually said that, I'd concede the point. The first and second paragraphs of my post aren't really connected - I was just happy to unexpectedly get the statue, currently sitting on my left speaker.

 

What I referred to in the first paragraph was the movement of people to get e-shop refunds for Pokemon Scarlet / Violet based on them being a mess technically, with some success. No idea how many people that represents, but it's certainly generated a lot of news stories, and the refunds being granted is evidence of Nintendo having to admit it's unacceptably poor.

 

Please understand.

 

I know, sorry, was feeling argumentative hahah, all good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

The patch is welcome, obviously, and there is no question that something is needed. But, I still feel that the performance issues card is being hugely overplayed here. Not to mention, the patch seems to be more about Season 1 of Ranked Battles than actual fixes, and this was always going to be something added in a patch pretty soon after launch. I don't expect the game to improve much, if at all, tomorrow, or indeed ever.

 

Back off "Tech Geeks" chat and back into "Game Freaks" for a minute? I have 2 things:

 

1. Get yourself a Glimmora!

2. Does anyone have a Quaxly I could pimp out with my Ditto for half an hour? I have the other 2 starters, nothing particularly awesome breeding wise, yet, but can produce them on request at this point. Surprise Trade keeps on letting me down.

 

 

 

Quite partial to Palafin esp when you call him back and he turns into super dolphin. I've been enjoying it a lot, but yeah, like you say apart from sorting out the frame rate a bit I doubt they will do much via patches.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

What sort of level do you need to be to take on the Titans? I tried the desert one at level 25 and got my arse handed to me.

 

Have kind of explored too much, my creatures aren’t obeying because I’m five levels beyond the one badge I have.

If you have type advantages, they are all doable between 30 and 40. However, the False Dragon will take some beating, so you might want to level up a bit. If it helps, I feel the game actually wants/expects you to be 55-60 at the end of that particular section. Also, I think the Stony Cliff Titan is meant to be the first you fight, it is definitely the easiest and also the one the game leads you towards to start with.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This games most annoying problem for me is the camera doesn't even attempt to frame the critters in the fights so they're both onscreen, the camera will just pan until one is offscreen, or turn invisible as they're too close to the camera, or it'll just slide into the ground, unless you're manually shepherding it about.

 

Combined with the way you can't even see their health bars when attacks are playing out (why?), the actual status of a battle is really unreadable a lot of the time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

This games most annoying problem for me is the camera doesn't even attempt to frame the critters in the fights so they're both onscreen, the camera will just pan until one is offscreen, or turn invisible as they're too close to the camera, or it'll just slide into the ground, unless you're manually shepherding it about.

 

Combined with the way you can't even see their health bars when attacks are playing out (why?), the actual status of a battle is really unreadable a lot of the time.

Yep this sort of stuff is waaaaaay more of a big deal thank janky frame rates or animation timings! 

 

I have to say though, I've found it a complete breeze? It's the first pokemon I've played, perhaps I've just been lucky in how I've explored / caught things but each boss type encounter I've always had a team of appropriately opposed elemental Mon to use. I've not wiped in a single fight. 1 gym and a 1 star team thing left. My quaxly is lvl 51, everyone else is weaker. 

 

I'm still annoyed it doesn't just have a weakness chart in the game. Having it on the ui during fights is useful, but it's daft there's not just a nice graphic in the menu. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, that was an easy little game to pass some time, some hilarious looking Pokémon this time around. One of my favourite's is the Hanna Barbera looking Mouse Duo. 

 

I won't echo all the technical issues above we are all having, but I totally agree about the cameras. Although I only found out yesterday that you can rotate the camera with the right stick in battle. 

 

I'm now on the after game stuff and trying to fill out my Pokédex, so wondering is anyone with Scarlet looking to do some swaps? I've got Iron Bundle etc more than willing to trade.

 

Not only that, but I've tried the code list, but the only thing that seems to work on it is swapping Foreign Dittos. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm at about 40 hours and am running out of steam, I've got to beat the Elite 4 but I'm not sure I can be bothered trial & erroring a really long boring fight until I've got the teams down, then powered up appropriate pokemon, just to get into the centre of the map!! 

 

Still gutted they didn't let me just glide in there once I'd got the requisite skills for my bikemon. 

 

It's a weird game, I like the collecting them all aspect, and I love the design on loads of the pokemon themselves, but the story / exploration / actual fighting is pretty terrible. 

 

 

Having said all of that, does anyone want to swap me an egg?  My Quaxly for your Fuecoco? 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, robdood said:

I'm at about 40 hours and am running out of steam, I've got to beat the Elite 4 but I'm not sure I can be bothered trial & erroring a really long boring fight until I've got the teams down, then powered up appropriate pokemon, just to get into the centre of the map!! 

 

Still gutted they didn't let me just glide in there once I'd got the requisite skills for my bikemon. 

 

It's a weird game, I like the collecting them all aspect, and I love the design on loads of the pokemon themselves, but the story / exploration / actual fighting is pretty terrible. 

 

 

Having said all of that, does anyone want to swap me an egg?  My Quaxly for your Fuecoco? 

 

 

I can breed you one :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hit the credits on this yesterday and, despite the obvious technical issues and infuriatingly slow pace of the battle messages, it totally won me over. I really enjoyed it and didn't expect the plot to go all Metal Gear Solid 2 at the end there. I boxed my starter at the beginning as I wasn't a big fan of any of the final evolution stages and ended up with this squad for the Pokemon League and Area Zero:

 

image.thumb.png.4989d5bebf297495bac4885cfaab44e5.png

 

Very much looking forward to getting by hands on the rest of the paradox Pokemon. Slither Wing and Sandy Shocks are going straight into the first team for all of the post-game stuff. I've never finished a Pokedex before but I'm very tempted here given the fast travel/ease of movement and how quickly you can level things up to evolve with a couple of post-sandwich Chansey killing sprees. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Pungee said:

I hit the credits on this yesterday and, despite the obvious technical issues and infuriatingly slow pace of the battle messages, it totally won me over. I really enjoyed it and didn't expect the plot to go all Metal Gear Solid 2 at the end there. I boxed my starter at the beginning as I wasn't a big fan of any of the final evolution stages and ended up with this squad for the Pokemon League and Area Zero:

 

image.thumb.png.4989d5bebf297495bac4885cfaab44e5.png

 

Very much looking forward to getting by hands on the rest of the paradox Pokemon. Slither Wing and Sandy Shocks are going straight into the first team for all of the post-game stuff. I've never finished a Pokedex before but I'm very tempted here given the fast travel/ease of movement and how quickly you can level things up to evolve with a couple of post-sandwich Chansey killing sprees. 

 

Are on you scarlet? I've got spares of a lot of the violet mons if you want to trade. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm way behind because of life but I'm a fair few hours into this and, like this thread suggests, it's a chaotic mix of good and bad for me. I think they've done a brilliant job with every new pokemon I've seen so far - and it must be pretty hard to be creative by this point as I guess we're over a 1000 now. But I've really loved seeing and catching new ones and all the designs and models seem fantastic to me.

 

The technical issues are a hot mess, no need to really elaborate there. And I think it is affecting my enjoyment to me honest. I've said this before in other pokemon threads no doubt but (outside of the pokemon themselves) there's this pervasive sense of poor quality and lack of polish that is so opposed to everything everyone associates with Nintendo*. And this makes me struggle to find the motivation to explore and sink my time into it (of course Elden Ring existing doesn't help) - so I'm sort of going through the motions a bit following the recommended path and trying to get to the end so I can maybe build some competitive teams and try the doubles ladder.

 

Arceus started off a bit like this and then I ended up really enjoying it so patiently I'm waiting for it to click a little. But at the moment the whole thing just has that familiar Pokemon sense of some nice light surface level fun sitting on something of a chasm of wasted potential.

 

*yes I know I know it's technically not Nintendo, but it's heavily related/practically synonymous to most of society

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pungee said:

 

image.thumb.png.4989d5bebf297495bac4885cfaab44e5.png

 


Oh my little pretty one, my pretty one,

When you gonna give me some time, ‘carona?

 

Oh you make my motor run, my motor run,

Get it comin’ off of the line ‘carona,

 

V-V-V-VOLCARONA

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Arn X Treme said:

 

Are on you scarlet? I've got spares of a lot of the violet mons if you want to trade. 

I'm Scarlet, yeah. Give me a couple of days to round up the rest of the ancient paradox Pokemon and I'd love a swap for a set of the future ones. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

I haven't actually played the game since getting to the first Pokemon center, I'm only logging on to get the so far completely underwhelming mystery gifts. Even though they aren't much it feels harsh to have these Mystery Gifts expire before Christmas Day when I'm sure a lot children will get the game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.