IGNORED

Pokémon Scarlet/Violet - 2022

deKay

I like the derpy fire croc and how it goes against the Chinese zodiac fire starter theory that was always tenuous at best (cos Charmander is a lizard not a dragon and cyndaquil is a shrew not rat and last stage is like a big honey badger) 

th-video.jpg

Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet will feature an open world, the Pokémon Company has confirmed. Additionally, we have news about support for Pokémon Home.

As far as a general overview, Pokémon Scarlet and Violet are said to “take a new evolutionary step in the Pokémon main series.” Players will be able to “explore an open world where various towns with no borders blend seamlessly into the wilderness.” Similar to Pokémon Legends: Arceus, creatures are out and about everywhere – be it the skies, in the sea, and on the streets.

As one of the main characters, trainers will jump into the world of Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet to begin their adventure, where they will have a different outfit depending on which game they are playing. Trainers will then choose either Sprigatito, the grass cat pokémon, Fuecoco, the fire croc pokémon, or Quaxly, the duckling pokémon to be their first partner pokémon before setting off on their journey.

Finally, as for Pokémon Home compatibility in Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet, it’ll be possible to link the games to Pokémon Home. For those that are unaware, Home lets users maintain their entire pokémon collection in one place. Players will be able to have pokémon from other regions adventure alongside them in Scarlet and Violet.

pokemon-scarlet-and-violet-starters-info

Sprigatito

"The capricious, attention-seeking Grass Cat Pokémon"

Fuecoco

"The laid-back Fire Croc Pokémon that does things at its own pace."

Quaxly

"The earnest and tidy Duckling Pokémon."

>>  Official website

53 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

That looks like a nicer, more ambitious Legends: Arceus to the point that I'm confused why the sub-brand even exists.

Enough time will have passed where we’ll all be ready to buy the same game again.

4 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

That looks like a nicer, more ambitious Legends: Arceus to the point that I'm confused why the sub-brand even exists.

If I had to guess, I'd imagine that Legends was supposed to release in 2021 originally but got pushed to 2022 due to COVID. Would explain why the Gen 4 remakes were much smaller in scope.

IMO it was more that Legends was a prototype or experiment to see if a different kind of Pokémon game could be successful, & the positive reaction to it has convinced Game Freak to make the mainline game more like that.  If Legends hadn't been received well, it would have remained off to the side & perhaps not even continued.

1 hour ago, Jarik said:

IMO it was more that Legends was a prototype or experiment to see if a different kind of Pokémon game could be successful, & the positive reaction to it has convinced Game Freak to make the mainline game more like that.  If Legends hadn't been received well, it would have remained off to the side & perhaps not even continued.

I mean we know that's not the case because Legends only launched last month and this has clearly had way more than one-months work on it.

2 hours ago, Jarik said:

What, 4 weeks devtime for what we saw? Impossible. Maybe would've been scrapped/reworked if the reception was terrible but I can't imagine that being their decision this far on either. 

This feels like too many Pokémon games in quick succession. My kid loved Let’s go Pikachu, loved Sword, but got bored of Pearl because he said it was too similar. I didn’t bother getting him whatever the new one is called and now there’s another on the way? What is this, one a year now? Too much. 

9 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

This feels like too many Pokémon games in quick succession. My kid loved Let’s go Pikachu, loved Sword, but got bored of Pearl because he said it was too similar. I didn’t bother getting him whatever the new one is called and now there’s another on the way? What is this, one a year now? Too much. 

Definitely. I didn’t even start Brilliant Diamond cos Arceus was coming and I’ve not got round to playing that properly and now this is announced. 🤦🏻‍♂️

12 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Been buying all mainline Pokémon games ever since Ruby & Sapphire , and while Sword & Shield was still alright imo, series fatigue was really setting in at that point. Then I completely skipped the Switch remake of Diamond & Pearl as it looked really low-budget, and offered nothing new. But I got back in (big time) with Legends, and if the new one continues on the path set by Legends, I think I will be back in for this one as well.