IGNORED

Elden Ring: exciting performance & technical chat (Frame Souls)

Jamie John

What system will you be using to play Elden Ring?  

326 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Looks and plays brilliantly on my bog-standard PS4. Loading times and graphics seem to be on par with Sekiro. No complaints from me. Something something fps... 

I was going to say, this is seriously impressive on my trusty OG PS4. I'm not particularly sensitive to frame rates / frame drops or whatever anyway, but this has been playing like a dream in the few hours I've had with it. The wonderful art direction definitely shines through. 

13 minutes ago, Let us measure said:

I was going to say, this is seriously impressive on my trusty OG PS4. I'm not particularly sensitive to frame rates / frame drops or whatever anyway, but this has been playing like a dream in the few hours I've had with it. The wonderful art direction definitely shines through. 

It appears to be a near locked 30 fps, it was also absolutely be the target platform 

4 hours ago, Thor said:

Played for 113 mins, so can still refund but I don't think I will. Only noticed one or two stutters (and they were quite bad) in cut scenes, in open play any frame drops were handled by VRR, otherwise this runs perfectly fine on my PC. I wonder if the extra VRAM on my card is helping. It does make my fans go a bit hard, might look at undervolting...

I assume you mean gpu fans, but with games generally I also notice a bit of cpu fan noise as the load briefly spikes when readying up a new area or somesuch, so if they sort out the asset streaming (or especially if they just give the option of doing it all upfront) I wonder if that might make a difference to system noise during actual play.

From what I've read it does sound like the ER cpu load is a bit higher generally than I'd usually expect to see in most games I've played lately, so I have to wonder if the way they handle assets is keeping it a bit higher overall than it'd otherwise be.

PC player here with a decent system (5600x and 3080), and I'm not sure I'll continue playing unless they improve things.

General performance for periods of time is decent.  So much so that I can play with DSR and crank up the render resolution on my 1440 monitor.  It feels responsive and smooth when the engine is behaving.  But once it occurs, the stuttering and hitching (regardless of resolution) is starting to put me off. 😔

I've only dabbled with Souls games briefly, and I like the concept of them and want to enjoy, but I suck at them.  And I like this even more.  But the periods of frustration with dying (which I can stomach, while I 'git gud') doesn't sit nicely alongside performance annoyances.  I died a couple of times this morning due to large freezes in the open world.

Its smoother when the weather is clear, so I've started resting and progressing time when it starts to rain 😆

It's definitely hindering my enjoyment of the game unfortunately. 😬 I feel like playing other games while I wait and hope some patches will smooth things out.

Following the 'proper' path has indeed seen me hit some unusual performance issues. The worst was just before Margit, where the game would slow right down, then speed up to catch up. Looked hilariously Benny Hill...

DF Direct Weekly not too complimentary so far on it. I believe the PC version will probably end up getting fixed, I doubt PS5 or XSX will be though to hit 60. 

DF seem disappointed - but it's FROM - it was always going to be like this - on consoles anyway.  It's a shame because it's a great game, however it appears to be coded for the PS6 and Xbox Next to sort out its problems.

Almost a million people are concurrently playing it since launch on Steam at the moment, so I think it's safe to say the technical issues haven't been enough to put people off just yet.

Performance on PC this evening seemed worse than it had across the whole weekend. Really noticeable stutters which took the shine off a little. Hopefully it was a temporary glitch. 

Yeah, I had some really bad stuttering in Roundtable Hold, I'd have thought performance in that small area would be flawless. Something is not right with the PC code.

That said, it was only in there tonight. Otherwise it's been well behaved for me.

Yup, after being pretty happy with my performance it's began to take a bit of downturn. Had a few lurches, on two separate machines. I'm no coder but there wasn't any mention of a patch so what caused it, could network code/problems cause it?

Weird.

EDIT* Back to playing great again, rare, what seem to be game engine lurches, but much better than yesterday. Can look pretty special in some places, especially when cranked all the way up. VRR is a godsend for this atm I imagine, masking a lot of engine trouble.

I was playing for hours last night in the castle area with no issues at all. Well, apart from one crash to desktop. Seems like it responds uniquely to a lot of different hardware.

Yeah I know the root cause is supposed to be how dx12 handles data streaming (and the fact that From have implemented it particularly badly here), but there seems to be a lot of variability even on systems of the same spec, so I wonder if individual system settings/versions/driver combos are a factor?

edit:

Hang on.....was none of this an issue in the network test?

Purchased the PS4 disc for my PS5. Am I better playing the PS4 Pro mode or shall I just go straight to PS5 version?

Watched the digital foundry videos but interested in more real world experiences here. If it runs fine for the most part in PS5 guise and looks better then I'll take it. If its a framerate dropping mess at times though I might stick to PS4 version.

8 minutes ago, Marmite said:

Purchased the PS4 disc for my PS5. Am I better playing the PS4 Pro mode or shall I just go straight to PS5 version?

Watched the digital foundry videos but interested in more real world experiences here. If it runs fine for the most part in PS5 guise and looks better then I'll take it. If its a framerate dropping mess at times though I might stick to PS4 version.

I've tried both. 

PS5 version looks fantastic imo. Resolution mode results in something closer to 30 fps. but still unlocked, it just doesn't ever really get higher than 30. It's probably not that much different that playing it on base PS4, except it looks a lot better.

I'm playing the game in Frame-rate mode, on PS5 and it does target 60 fps, but drops all the time. It doesn't both me at all, and I totally don't mind unlocked variable frame-rates if there's no screen-tearing. YMMV but an unlocked frame-rate looks fine to me, and i'd even take it over 30 fps. As soon as it tears though i'm like yuck. 

The PS4 version on PS5 takes a notible hit in image-quality. It looked a fair bit worse to me, grainy and blurry I guess. 

I've not played it that much, but it seemed to be a locked 60 fps. 

1 hour ago, Marmite said:

Yeah its that locked 60 I'm tempted by. If its blurry/grainy in comparison though then maybe the fps hit is worth it for the increase in fidelity. 

PS4 on PS5 is the way to go, unless your eyes can't perceive the janky mess of the PS5 version.

Start PS4 version, play for a bit, then load the PS5 and convert your PS4 save to the PS5 version and see what you think. It won't affect your PS4 save

Thread starter obviously asked the wrong question - should have been "What version of Elden Ring are you going to be playing?" ;)

I'm playing on OG PS4 and blown away by it. Low key love the reduced animation on distant enemies - real Harryhausen vibes.

I get total screen blackouts for about 2-3 seconds in the open world which are thankfully quite infrequent. Doesn't bother me too much, just pretended it was a mechanic to make Tree Sentinel harder :P

Can't really complain as I am below minimum specs (RX480 8GB and 3600).

Performance mode on Series X with VRR (on an LG CX) has been pretty much perfect for me so far. Whatever frames are being dropped, the VRR is masking them completely. The only time it’s stuttered for me is for a split-second when reviving in a very open area. 

35 minutes ago, englishbob said:

PS4 on PS5 is the way to go, unless your eyes can't perceive the janky mess of the PS5 version.

Start PS4 version, play for a bit, then load the PS5 and convert your PS4 save to the PS5 version and see what you think. It won't affect your PS4 save

Does it not? I've not done that for fear of it being overwritten or something.

1 hour ago, Steven said:

Does it not? I've not done that for fear of it being overwritten or something.

If you have concerns back up your save to a USB stick or sync your save up to your PSN cloud

I'm not hugely fussed as I until/if From sort the PS5 version out, the PS4 pro version just plays so much smoother. Bit less grass but even that pops in all over the shop on PS5, so it ends up being more distracting than anything else.

29 minutes ago, englishbob said:

Honesty I don't get the fascination on the grass levels on some of these performance review videos. Who cares

Because it looks really nice in the light and shadow blowing In the wind. I’m playing on PS5 in fidelity mode and I really appreciate the extra detail and resolution, it looks lovely. 

Doesn’t loading take a hit playing the PS4 version on PS5? 

21 hours ago, Eighthours said:

Performance mode on Series X with VRR (on an LG CX) has been pretty much perfect for me so far. Whatever frames are being dropped, the VRR is masking them completely. The only time it’s stuttered for me is for a split-second when reviving in a very open area. 

Same here, except on a normal 1080p TV and it's been absolutely fine. The framerate fluctuates a bit but the screen never tears and the game is so good I honestly don't notice it at all while playing (and I'm usually pretty sensitive to framerate stuff).

14 hours ago, Stanley said:

Doesn’t loading take a hit playing the PS4 version on PS5? 

No - sub 10 second load times running it this way. It's not been widely reported so I made a video.

This is PS4 version running on PS5 using the native inbuilt PS5 storage device 

(HD version of this is taking hours to process on YT for some reason, but you get the idea) 

The latest patches on PC definitely improved things a bit. If you followed the Digital Foundry coverage you'd be forgiven for thinking it's a Cyberpunk style mess across formats, but it really isn't. I can recognise that they do exist, but even with the PC issues I've played now for dozens of hours and haven't felt compelled to pick up the PS4 version.

6 minutes ago, englishbob said:

No - sub 10 second load times running it this way. It's not been widely reported so I made a video.

This is PS4 version running on PS5 using the native inbuilt PS5 storage device 

(HD version of this is taking hours to process on YT for some reason, but you get the idea) 

I’ll check it out - but PS5 is literally a couple of seconds.