IGNORED

Kid friendly gaming

Droo

the weather is dreadful!

Any recommendations for kid friendly games for my 3, nearly 4, year old?

he’s been playing the original Pac-Man and some pinball games but I’m trying to think of something very basic he can grasp. 

have a switch (preferably) and an Xbox S (but only one controller). 

bonus points if it’s two player. 

Difficult at that age I found as obviously they struggle to read, Mario Kart is a must as it’s accessible for anyone really, Kirby Star Allies is easy too and co-op, that’s a brilliant game with more than one player. Even Smash Bros is very friendly as you don’t really need to understand it to have fun. Mario Party? 

Yeah at that age games can be quite tough because they barely give them time to understand the controls or whats going on.

But yes, Mario Kart is perfect as it has auto steer and accelerate on it. I'd also recommend Mario maker, making your own levels with no enemies so they can just have fun collecting coins and then slowly introduce more difficult things. I'd also say consider getting them a child sized controller because the normal ones are just too large for their hands.

Two great ones on Game Pass are the Paw Patrol game, which he might need a bit of help with, but is pretty basic and Donut County is an absolute winner - just move the hole and swallow up bits of scenery!

It’s super easy and he might need the odd bit of help but it’s the only game I have found that I could leave my 4 year old with and not need to help him every 2 seconds.

Are they into Paw Patrol? My daughter (4) started playing that on my xbox when she was off with Covid a few weeks ago. That taught her how to use the controller. She then graduated onto Super Lucky's Tale, and from there Mario Odyssey and Bowser's Fury and Animal Crossing.

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

Difficult at that age I found as obviously they struggle to read, Mario Kart is a must as it’s accessible for anyone really, Kirby Star Allies is easy too and co-op, that’s a brilliant game with more than one player. Even Smash Bros is very friendly as you don’t really need to understand it to have fun. Mario Party? 

Seconding Kirby Star Allies. Our just-turned-4 year old loves it. You can take charge and they just tag along having fun.

Snap. My kid is turning 4 next month and I've been trying a few games out on him over the last few months. He still hasn't quite got the knack of the disconnect of the controller to the screen, having already mastered a tablet. 

Forza Horizon was a good one not yet mentioned. Just driving about a bit you can't really fail. Even if they end up in a field it still plays well. It was good to have him steer while accelerating/breaking for him. Visa versa works too but not as good. Sometimes he just likes to mess with the camera while I'm trying to drive which is an interesting level of difficulty. 

If it's in your power, I've given my kid an old 3DS and it's well suited to a kid. You can just get loads of 3DS and DS kids game carts from eBay for a couple of quid each and carts are easy to manage. No profile faff and I can use them in my lovely new New 3DS XL. Loads of Lego games, lots of kids TV licences, etc. Quality may vary but things like Thomas & Friends tend to have one or two minigames that are actually good and mix and match button games with stylus games. 

I guess any handheld like that would be good if you got one lying around. I nearly gave him a GBA but I forgot how crappy the brightness was. Instead I bought some cheap emulator knockoff thing called v90 Powkiddy for £30. It's tiny so great for little hands, cheap so they can keep dropping it and earlier 2D games are a bit easier to get the hang of first. 

My youngest is 6yo now, but over the last couple of years she’s been playing a lot of Gamepass stuff with her older sister…

Human Falls Flat, Moving Out, Overcooked, Rubber Bandits, Minecraft, Roblox.
She also loves the various Mario games on Switch, along with Animal Crossing of course. With AC I just kept sending her bells and she bought a shed load of costumes and furniture!

My 4 year old likes watching BoTW bizarrelly (being sure to keep it relatively pedestrian), but the first game they've kinda got their head round a little is Untitled Goose Game (or more correctly, Untitled Geese Game - the co-op mode).

There's no pressure to actually do anything so they can practice the whole 'control a thing with a stick' part of it all. That and having a button to honk is great.

Donut County worked for us well, skipping through all the chat. Katamari could work but the controls are a bit fiddly. 

I also got Mario Party - my first experience of Mario Party - and ended up getting a full refund from Amazon after one full game. It made the lad very angry because Princess Peach was cheating. 

I've got a 7 year old and we've probably been playing for at least 12 months. I introduced her around 4-5, but she wasn't quite ready. YMMV!

Some of the stuff we've played..

Untitled Goose Game - definitely meets criteria of being simple to control, relaxed, and everyone loves that cheeky goose. I did have to help with most of the puzzles but she got the basics. Good call @LaveDisco

LEGO The Incredibles  - first LEGO game we've tried, pretty sure they are all similar. A mess in term of some of the design, but kids won't notice that. 2 player mode means you can guide your kid while they enjoying smashing stuff up

Super Mario World (SNES mini) – thought this would be a winner, but it's far too difficult for her timing and controller skills. 

Streets of Rage 4 – loads of fun, if you don't mind the violence/S&M female NPCs etc :) She doesn't normally choose it, though. 8 year old boys who visited the other day LOVED it

Journey – really enjoyed this until it got slightly scary, and we've never gone back :(

RiME - most recent game we've tried. Puzzles are still a bit obtuse for her, but she likes the exploration. But she's now terrified of the giant vulture-like mythical bird we're trying to avoid.

My son is only just 4 and he's been playing Mario for last 6 months. 3D world has the white tanooki suit (invincibility) which has allowed him to see loads of the levels. He loves that and MK8. We also like playing Nintendoland together.