Street Fighter VI - Here Comes a New Challenger! PS5, XSX, PC in 2023!

Captain Kelsten

So based on the prosed roster who are people thinking thinking about picking up?

I’ll definitely be going for a new character as it helps my brain by not being a character I’ve played previously.

When I saw Jamie I thought I’d like to play him as I like the idea of drunken boxing but as a Yun and Yang wannabe I’m thinking he may be pretty popular and so not where I want to be.

I think I’m actually most interested in A.K.I. Mainly because her association with F.A.N.G will put everyone off playing her I imagine and as a F.A.N.G main I feel some loyalty there.

I think there will be a lot of popularity in the new characters apart from Marisa who will be forever disliked and forever low tier. For this reason I may end up maining her, although It depends on her gameplay 

Old Russian Guy is definitely top of my list. Apparently he's got psycho power and the name kinda recalls G and Q so I wonder if he might be the main antagonist, bringing those story strands together? I tend to like big/slow/old characters and I assume he'll be all those things.

Didn't think I'd ever type this but I do also want to try Ken out. Moving to Brazil and hitting people with the laggy wakeup Scuffed Shoryureppa.

I'm unashamedly drawn towards Ken. I love the new design.

I feel like Kimberly might be fast and annoying so possibly them. I've seen people suggest they're connected to Guy in some way but I dunno where that's coming from, maybe the earlier leak. I was never a good Guy player.

31 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

If Juri plays like classic SSFIV Juri, then maybe. Alternatively Rashid, or one of the newcomers.

In SSFIV I always mained Dan.

Then if I fancied some nostalgia I played Guile. And if I got the nostalgic shoto itch I went Ken.

But if I really wanted to destroy someone I went Juri.

Spoiler

Then if I really wanted to destroy someone with maximum psychic damage I switched back to Dan.

With the absence of Balrog AND Bison my two usual picks I don't know. Ehonda looks pretty smart in this design and I want to see what's up with the cane dude.

On 03/06/2022 at 00:06, Qazimod said:

The free-roam bit looks mad. Please let us find Capcom characters hanging out and give us Yakuza/Persona style social interactions. :P 

Y'know, they could literally make some dumb "Street Fighter Adventure" awesomeness if they just take SFV's daily challenges and incorporate them into the free-roaming World Tour on top of any regular "campaign" that they want to put in. So you could be running around and visiting event markers to improve your standing in the World Tour, and ultimately you'd reach number one and the credits would roll, but outside of that would be these constant rotating or randomised challenges sprinkled across the map based on daily objectives, which would give you more points for your profile or whatever. So you'll be on your phone with your console turned off and someone will tweet out that Balrog's hanging out at the bus stop this afternoon for a special challenge that unlocks a unique title, and everyone will get in. Or if you go down a certain alley on a Friday evening you can meet Zangief and he'll let you touch his chest hair. MK Konquest but real-time, and infinite, and better.

Haha yeah, the option to appear as a boss in some of the encounters would be cool. As might a team-up dramatic-battle event or something.

I want them to bring back the "Replay Channel" thing from Super Street Fighter IV where you could just set some search criteria and it would continue to play a load of matches that meet your specifications uninterrupted. In Street Fighter V you can really narrow down your search to find specific matchups at a specified online rank or whatever, which is great, but you have to manually navigate to and play each one in turn. A total chore.

New tweet of the fight intro, you can change your character's expression with directional inputs, looks kinda goofy. The rest looks very slick. I hope there's decent variety for the pre-match struts, with some unique matchup specific animations.

If they took the Mortal Kombat 11 approach and let you choose (and unlock) different intro/victory animations for your character that would be cute.

I hope you can skip most of that, honestly. It looks very slick, but watching the walk in every time would get old fast. I'm assuming you can, minus the gurning section.

That said, I'm liking that it wasn't just a trailer drop a year ahead of time and then nothing until release. Having a constant drip feed of in-game footage is cool.

The versus screens look great fun. My favourite bit of Soul Calibur 2 was when you could press some buttons and make your character scream something at the other. You only got one chance though so waiting until the last moment before shouting YOU CUR! or SHUT UP was always funny. 

2 hours ago, LeighCb said:

The versus screens look great fun. My favourite bit of Soul Calibur 2 was when you could press some buttons and make your character scream something at the other. You only got one chance though so waiting for the last moment before the bout to shout YOU CUR! or SHUT UP was always funny. 

That last one's great. I think he means to say 'smash', but all I can hear is 'MAAAASHHHH' like he's waiting for his tea.

Maximillian_Dood (A YouTuber) has confirmed they'll be getting hands-on time with Street Fighter 6 this Friday. Capcom are in LA for Summer Game Fest and there's a SF6 media event so we ought to get a decent amount of new information, as well as Capcom's own presentation next week.

I'm sure folk like him can find out some of the broader mechanics (how punishable is Drive Impact on block? Can you chip KO with special moves? Do Drive Reversals do real or recoverable damage and can they KO? What are the taunts?) but hopefully we get a bit more insight into how the World Tour mode works too.

Also the Frame Assistant Tool (which is incredibly useful, I hope they support SF6 too) developer Hatson did a breakdown of what they could infer from the frame data in the trailer, for any nerds in the audience:

https://pastebin.com/zgQLxiiy

Some notes from that:

• Hatson notes that equivalent normals appear to be 1 or 2 frames slower to start than in SFV, the fastest light attack being 4 frames
  • Dashes are about the same as SFV at 17-18 frames though using Drive Rush to dash cancel your normal/parry is a 10 frame dash (presumably for more reliable followups)
  • Hitstop is similar to SFV though light attacks cause a slightly longer freeze and some multi-hit attacks don't have hitstop for every strike that connect
    • Hatson supposed that this was to make these animations feel smoother though I'm wondering if this is why I felt some gameplay moments didn't have as much impact? Early SFV footage felt a bit off too so I'm not that concerned
  • Perfect Parry seems to have a very tight window, possibly 3 frames. Parries in 3rd Strike were 10 frame (if you tap the parry direction and return the stick to neutral, 6 frames if you hold the direction) but the fail-state of a Perfect Parry is just getting regular parry instead, and it appears you can hold that for as long as you want (at the expense of drive meter)

Rolling Stone (a Twitch streamer) has confirmed a Premier of Street Fighter 6's theme tonight at 6pm ET which is 10pm here (I always get these wrong [It's 11pm you dolt! -ED]).

Also, Geoff Keighley (a Twitter user) confirmed via their Summer Game Fest account that Street Fighter 6's next character will be revealed during the show* tomorrow alongside new gameplay.:

* Reveal Spoiler:

Spoiler

It's almost definitely American Ninja girl Kimberley. Rumoured to be a student of Guy.

If they do a character reveal a week, broken up with the occasional dive into other modes/mechanics, they could have reveals right up to the end of the year, assuming a 20+ character roster.

The pace of the marketing at the moment feels like a game that's coming in the next few months, rather than 2023. Wild.

King of Fighters XVs character reveals went on for so long I was bored of it by the time it was in my hands. I think I spent more time watching trailers of the game than actually playing it. Mind you didn't help the online been completely borked since I've owned it.

I'm really looking forward to SF6 but I hope they don't overdo the promotion with it being so far away