IGNORED

Street Fighter VI - Here Comes a New Challenger! PS5, XSX, PC in 2023!

Doctor Shark

Weird that they're STILL doing the ink strokes stylistic thing. I remember when they announced 4 they said that was going to be a key part of the visuals, and then it wasn't. Then they said that it was going to be more prominent in 5.. then it wasn't. And here it is again!

I don't think it'll ever go away now. It's perfect to distance themselves from other 3D fighting visual styles, while retaining a somewhat 2D vibe. Even more so now that Arc managed to crack the anime look.

Woke up at 6am and checked the trailer knowing I wouldn't get back to sleep unless I did. Still couldn't get back to sleep after being haunted by the gross (but inevitable) art style, the (also inevitable) presence of Luke and the (sigh, yes, inevitable) ultra eSports logo.

At least we'll probably have less overdone comedy gurning this time around like in the V screenshot above, that seems to have been a bit of an Ono thing.

1 hour ago, Arn X Treme said:

Is the guy that's not Ryu the boxer kid that has stuff to do with Balrog?

It's Luke: 

image.png.735e21cd12f29f3c6a696e96a1cbdca5.png

He was the final DLC character for SFV and was already confirmed to be a key part of "the future of Streetfighter", so was sort of pre-announced to be in SF6. 

The face of SF6 will be Ryu though. Alex and Necalli didn't unseat him and Dudebro Luke won't do it either. 

On 20/02/2022 at 07:24, Qazimod said:

The main thing I’d like from SFVI is a confirmation that they’re doing proper netcode testing across the globe, and prioritising the feedback they get…

Actually, the main thing I’d like is for them to not rush out half a game in time for Evo. Imagine launching a new Street Fighter game and being able to do trials, play arcade mode and set up lobbies… :wub: 

17 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

Actually, the main thing I’d like is for them to not rush out half a game in time for Evo. Imagine launching a new Street Fighter game and being able to do trials, play arcade mode and set up lobbies… :wub: 

I think the schedule they’re on is actually the Capcom Pro Tour which normally runs (I think) Feb to Dec.

I’d expect to not see SF6 until Christmas, to capture the Christmas sales and get people started in time for the new tour starting.

I believe SFV was forced out in Feb to make the Capcom Pro tour that year.

I was kind of expecting them to just blatantly call this Street Fighter EVO and keep it PS exclusive. So calling it 6 and not noting any platforms yet seems to imply it's going to be multi?

Still expecting a "Street Fighter VI: EVO Edition" on PS though.

I just hope the day one package compares favourably to what Netherealm are doing with Injustice and Mortal Kombat. I know that elements off the fighting game community are dismissive off the extra modes they add to their games as they don't do a good enough job teaching you how to play the game "properly" but I ended up playing a lot of MK X and its different modes and felt like I got great value out of the game. I even played a handful of games online as I had played enough of the game to reliably be able to perform most of the moves and a decent chunk of the techniques in the game. I wouldn't have attempted that with a more barebones fighter as I'd have no base level built up. 

7 hours ago, jonny_rat said:

Weird that they're STILL doing the ink strokes stylistic thing. I remember when they announced 4 they said that was going to be a key part of the visuals, and then it wasn't. Then they said that it was going to be more prominent in 5.. then it wasn't. And here it is again!

The ink effect in SFIV was only really prominent in the Focus Attacks, and certain Ultras like this:

I liked that pencil sketch rendering style on some of the alternate costumes (e.g. second from top left below). I wish they'd done more with that:

YangAlt1.png.187cad1fc819ae7fc54da23849fec74f.png

5 minutes ago, JLM said:

6) It should teach you how to play it properly. Ideally with a bit of the Skullgirls/GG approach where they teach you stuff that isn't only specific to this game, but introducing the concepts this video:

I like the Under Night approach in theory, since it just dumps a bunch of genre concepts on you across 179 lessons, without you having to open up someone's wiki to find out about those concepts. Although I don't think you really get "live" examples of each concept, so there's an opportunity there.

• 3 months later...

New trailer from tonight's State of Play; I'm glad it's still got a brash, gaudy art style! The trailers for IV and V also went overboard with the painterly effects before toning it down a little so I feel that's likely the case again here.

New character reveal of Jamie (capoeira/drunken boxer?) and possibly Kimberley, who is sparring with Chun Li (I initially thought it was Li-Fen)? Damnd is prominent in the trailer so hopefully they show up too.

Looks like it miiiiight have a universal parry/counter of some sort? Ryu's looks similar to his SFV VT2. Might be wrong.

Confirmed to be coming to PS4, 5, Series X | S (but not Xbox One) and Steam on Capcom's own trailers.

The solo World Tour mode looks like you roam Metro City with a custom(?) Little Mac-ass character. Brawling in the street as well as more traditional battles. Interested to see more of it, it's been a while since Street Fighter had decent single player content and by a while I mean never.

• Doctor Shark changed the title to Street Fighter VI - Here Comes a New Challenger! PS5, XSX, PC in 2023!