Street Fighter VI - Here Comes a New Challenger! PS5, XSX, PC in 2023!

Captain Kelsten

This drip feed of information is great, but the big question no one is asking or answering is will Streetfighter Duel be released outside China before or after this!?

1 minute ago, krenzler said:

I really hope this will be the first game where Capcom feature a fully fledged usable tutorial mode for newcomers - though I would be surprised if. 

I think the IGN footage touched on it, saying the World Tour mode would be teaching core genre concepts and making sure players know which moves are useful for which situations.

I think weaving that kind of stuff into a more engaging mode will probably be more appealing to newcomers than working through a tutorial checklist one item at a time but I guess we've got a bit of a wait before we find out how well it's implemented.

How come? I went off him a while back because his reaction vids are the super disingenuous 'eyes wide and mouth agog' youtube thumbnail bait that I utterly despise, and some of his stuff's way too theatrical, but he doesn't seem to be a bad guy overall.

2 hours ago, joffocakes said:

I think the IGN footage touched on it, saying the World Tour mode would be teaching core genre concepts and making sure players know which moves are useful for which situations.

I think weaving that kind of stuff into a more engaging mode will probably be more appealing to newcomers than working through a tutorial checklist one item at a time but I guess we've got a bit of a wait before we find out how well it's implemented.

All of this. I think that the UNIST approach of including every concept ever is amazing, but that full list of tutorials is intimidating.

And I remember that one of my first impressions from the V tutorial mode was that it didn't really explain the concepts a lot; it covered the V-system and general movement/throws/guards/attacks, but missed out stun, EX, critical arts, crush counters etc... as well as leaving out wider genre concepts. Not to mention new concepts being introduced with DLC characters (Alex and the "Hard Hit" property.)

I'm a much more casual follower of fighters these days, but they've got an opportunity to create something welcoming and informative with a new numbered title, so it'll be interesting to see where they go.

VF 4 (Evo?) still has the most in depth tutorial I've seen. It was magnificent. Or at least it seemed like it at the time.

I think part of the problem is that a lot of players will immediately skip cutscenes or prompts telling them why they're doing a thing in the game they're playing, so developers probably expect that the people invested in the really in depth stuff will be looking it up online anyway. I wonder how many people A) go through combos trials and B) use any of them in a real match. 

SF6's looking poised to make a big impact, so hopefully they get the information in there for the people who want to see it.

57 minutes ago, krenzler said:

Combo trials don't teach newcomers anything useful do they?

I need to check out the VF4 tutorial - I believe I have it on PS Plus.

Generally not, nor even advanced players. It's because the people making these modes tend to choose ones that are hard to execute and not necessarily optimal either for the later challenges. New players also need some fundamentals, preferably presented in a manner that won't have them falling asleep or skipping past everything - long text box explanations are a no-no.

The VF4 one was a thing of beauty, telling you what the enemy's likely to do after you land moves and then mentioning stuff like 'You can then do this for a forced 50/50 reaction on wakeup'.

Unsure if it was VF4 basic or Evo (I think Evo?) but it left an impression. 

It would behoove Capcom as the owner of the premier fighting game franchise to go all-in on making the best ever tutorial for newcomers to grow the scene. Fingers crossed they do something like that this time around. They have the means and understanding and manpower but do they want to?

IGN Japan have an interview with Matsumoto and Nakayama where Nakayama (accidentally?) confirms (using Google Translate so maaaaaybe not wholly reliable) that Metro City is just the first stage of World Tour mode.

It does seem obvious, given the name, but I was absolutely ready to accept that it was just called that as a reference to Alpha 3's mode and that we'd be restricted to a rummage around Metro City's grubby alleys. I would have still been happy with that, of course.

They allude to the mode being substantial enough to be considered a full title on its own, as well as similarities with Shenmue.

https://jp.ign.com/street-fighter-6/60367/interview/63

Confirmation of something folk speculated on from the trailer; Guile's Sonic Boom has different properties (faster? more hitstun/less recovery?) when input with perfect timing. Luke has similar properties in SFV that carry over to SF6, as did Karin and Dan, god rest their souls. I wonder if it's something they're making universal, or if it's just a way for certain characters to optimise their damage?

Wow, that's pretty cool. I think that could go a long way to spicing up high-level play spectatorship in the same way 1F links did in SFIV. It's nice that it's visually appreciable with a different animation too, so I don't need to learn which combos require this perfect timing mechanic beforehand in order to be suitably wowed.

I look forward to relentlessly overcommitting to perfect timing combos and eating a lot of damage for my hubris.

I remember watching a video from Momochi about possible improvements he wanted to see in SFV and one thing he said was a greater benefits for doing something perfectly. The example he gave was along the the lines of hitting a link with the correct timing giving additional meter. This would incentivise practice and reward those with the skills to do it.

There’s a couple of things in SFVI bow that have this property, which is nice to see. 

Yeah this is the sort of compromise I was after with execution. I don't want the game to gatekeep new players, but I do like being rewarded with a bit of extra sauce if I play the game for hundreds of hours. 

And yeah, being able to immediately see that someone is doing perfectly timed stuff when watching good players play will be very cool. Inspirational and also a degree of:

image.png.eeaa1272fe44e3d7b0b6f6e59d4beabe.png

On 13/06/2022 at 10:44, joffocakes said:

IGN Japan have an interview with Matsumoto and Nakayama where Nakayama (accidentally?) confirms (using Google Translate so maaaaaybe not wholly reliable) that Metro City is just the first stage of World Tour mode.

My Japanese is pretty crummy but I've made an effort and it does seem to be accurate. He does definitely reiterate "well it's called WORLD tour"

It would be fantastic if we get to Shenmue our way through various famous locations from classic Capcom games! Or specifically classic Street Fighter stages.