Street Fighter VI - Here Comes a New Challenger! PS5, XSX, PC in 2023!

Captain Kelsten

5 hours ago, Goemon said:

Starting to feel like the hitstops are a little but too long. I know they’re trying to emphasise impact but I feel it makes the game look a bit sluggish.

Yeah this is the thing I'm not liking at the moment. A lot of the animations look unfinished which is fine as it's so early, but the hit stop and the Strive-esque pauses in gameplay are a bit concerning.  It's very very early days though, so I'm hoping this will be adjusted quite a bit before it comes out. 

Excited for the game overall. No sign of a derpy comeback mechanic yet either. 

I don't like universal parries generally, but plenty of other games have implemented them much better than Third Strike and this game already looks to be on the right track in that regard. Making it a commitment with a button input , having consequences for whiffing/failing is great, and tying it to resources that you also use to do lots of other things is also a good way to mitigate. 

Interesting to see in the Guile trailer that he has V-Trigger 1 from SFV as an install super. Wonder if it'll be 3S style selectable supers or if you have all three?

Other than that I think I need to know a lot more about the battle system before having any other hot takes on it. 

Also can it have good netcode this time please and thank you. 

There’s been some pretty good dissection videos from Max and Vesper that noted some interesting points.

Guile now has the sonic blade special move. The ex version is done in the trailer, which continues to exist after knocking the opponent down

As well as a number of target combos, there is a link combo. So links are in the game.

The counter hit to Luke’s DP knocks him into the air.

Some supers look to be utility supers as Guile’s stock 2 super is basically his sonic boom v trigger from SFV.

Drive impact is a crumple

Thinking about it…I’m wondering if there’s generally more target combos in the game as it allows people using modern controls to do combos. I don’t imagine they going to give you links for free so they will give target combos to each character to have accessible combos. This makes sense as I imagine target combos will be less damage than link combos so the reward for skill is more damage.

Hopefully the characters all have multiple supers. Been playing a lot of Alpha 3 lately and I miss how each character had around 3 supers and you didn't need to choose between them. Example: when playing as Cammy, you can go for the offensive Spin Drive Smasher or the vertical anti-air super (can't remember the name). Then she also had the crazy Killer Bee Assault if you were in a specific ism.

Hated been locked to just the one in newer SF games.

They've confirmed 3 Supers already, one costing a single Super Art bar, one costing two and a more powerful one costing all three bars. I expect the inputs to perform each will be different, but I don't think the classic controls version has been confirmed; it's a direction plus Triangle+Circle with Modern controls.

Here's Guile's for example, from the PlayStation Blog post:

Sonic Hurricane (1 Stock) – Introduced in Street Fighter Alpha 3, Guile fires a massive aerial slash directly ahead. If used with a Heavy Punch, the aerial slash fires diagonally upwards as a good anti-air option. An extremely versatile move that can be used in combos, to counter projectiles, or as a way to turn the tables when being pressured.

Solid Puncher (2 Stocks) – Introduced in Street Fighter V as Guile’s V-Trigger I, Solid Puncher is now a Super Art. Guile envelops both arms in aerial slashes and enables the use of Sonic Break, where a flurry of small Sonic Boom projectiles can be unleashed simply by pressing the punch buttons.

Crossfire Somersault (3 Stocks) – A brand new Super Art, Guile puffs his chest and fires a massive aerial slash that launches the opponent into the air before following up with a brutal Somersault Kick.

They're all available in the match, rather than pre-selecting a single one. There's speculation that the 2-bar Super Art will likely be a VTrigger-style Super for most characters. Still unsure if a Guile with 3 bars of meter can activate his Solid Puncher then end the combo with the 1 bar Sonic Hurricane though.

4 hours ago, Goemon said:

Thinking about it…I’m wondering if there’s generally more target combos in the game as it allows people using modern controls to do combos. I don’t imagine they going to give you links for free so they will give target combos to each character to have accessible combos. This makes sense as I imagine target combos will be less damage than link combos so the reward for skill is more damage.

Regarding classic vs modern controls, I'm worried that I might fall into the awkward gap where I'll want more than the modern control shortcuts can provide... but I won't be good enough with with classic controls to recreate everything that I can do via modern controls' assisted combos.

In Street Fighter IV, playing on pad, I was never able to do DP -> FADC -> Ultra, or reliably cancel special moves into Supers (e.g. Cammy's Spiral Arrow -> Super, where you do QCF+K then cancel it into QCF,QCF+K), or combos involving charge specials.

Judging by the Ryu examples on the website, SF6's assisted combos will be ideal to help me do things like that in the new game! Single button target combos are a lot easier than cancels and links!

But it looks like if I enable modern controls, I'll lose access the use of 3 out of 6 normal buttons, and QCF and DP motions for the basic special moves. And I'm very reluctant to do that, because as far as I'm concerned, the sensation of performing those motions is part of the core appeal of playing Street Fighter.

I don't think modern controllers are quite as kind for fighting games either. I blistered my thumb for the first time in at least 20 years playing KoF XV on Series X. Maybe it's gotten soft through less fighting game abuse, maybe the Series X has a harsher Dpad, but man. Ow.

Wondering how I'll approach it. Double fireball motions will probably be consigned to a button tap to avoid gratering my hand, but I'll probably still do singular motions.

1 hour ago, Nick R said:

Regarding classic vs modern controls, I'm worried that I might fall into the awkward gap where I'll want more than the modern control shortcuts can provide... but I won't be good enough with with classic controls to recreate everything that I can do via modern controls' assisted combos.

In Street Fighter IV, playing on pad, I was never able to do DP -> FADC -> Ultra, or reliably cancel special moves into Supers (e.g. Cammy's Spiral Arrow -> Super, where you do QCF+K then cancel it into QCF,QCF+K), or combos involving charge specials.

Judging by the Ryu examples on the website, SF6's assisted combos will be ideal to help me do things like that in the new game! Single button target combos are a lot easier than cancels and links!

But it looks like if I enable modern controls, I'll lose access the use of 3 out of 6 normal buttons, and QCF and DP motions for the basic special moves. And I'm very reluctant to do that, because as far as I'm concerned, the sensation of performing those motions is part of the core appeal of playing Street Fighter.

Well, this is years too late but you can cancel spiral arrow into super by doing qcf K into qcf K. It’ll register the spiral arrow qcf as part of the super double qcf motion. 

Some footage from Summer Game Fest starting to appear.

Looks like specials don't do chip damage to health, but Drive meter instead. I guess it might be the case that you cannot be KO'd by chip damage unless your Drive is fully depleted first, putting you in Burnout? Mortal Kombat 11 has something similar to this.